WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 01:15 PM

Latest Painting "making plans for the weekend"

Happy Monday Dear Artist friends,

I'm back in this forum after a few years, please feel free to comment on this work, I worked on this painting for 3 days so far last week, I'm not sure if I should continue to work on it or leave it , its Oil on wood , 24x20", and it's influenced by my visits to Venice Beach any advice I would appreciate it, and feel free to check my other work that I've done to compare with what I'm doing now...and If i may I have a question about Toned grounds below...

Toned Oil grounds Question, is using a N5 or N6 Value Toned Ground safe ? so that the painting will not tend to go too dark with time , I've read that with time the painting will tend to get darker with toned grounds, how dark can you do them?...some artists prefer to work on a white canvas because it keeps the brightness of the colors and values, Ive worked on toned and white oil grounds and I've always wondered what is the best way to do this, any advice I would greatly appreciate it, thank you

Paul
www.instagram.com/paultorrescom

Last edited by paultorrescom : 06-04-2018 at 01:39 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Seattle, WA

Hails from United States
Re: Latest Painting "making plans for the weekend"

Quote:
please feel free to comment on this work

Don't care for the "airbrushed" background; it looks like a product illustration (for ice cream, maybe . I think the women's bodies need more modeling -- you've started to do some on their faces, keep it up.

Quote:
toned grounds, how dark can you do them

Check out some Rembrandt portraits
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it👌👍
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Seattle, WA

Hails from United States

Sure, and incidentally, the "illustration" remark was not intended to be an insult -- that's how Edward Hopper and many others started
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanks @yolkworm I appreciate the message , no worries, I like Illustration, I started learning illustration back in 81 at the otis Parsons because I couldn't find figurative classes with any other major, also I took a lot of private workshops with renown artists like Daniel Green etc..but it wasn't easy to get that kind of insruction back then👌
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2018, 05:05 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

This picture is complete as it is. The style with its fairly flat colours suits the subjects whose postures are well captured. You also convey the feeling of bright sunlight in spite of the generally dark tone.
The only real crit I'd have is that the crop is too close to the lady's feet, it makes the composition a bit cramped. It might also have been better to carry on the lower background to a faint outline of horizon, sea, buildings whatever but overall l I think it works well.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2018, 12:24 AM

Thank you for the feedback @123harry it's much appreciated!!👍🙏😎