WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
New portrait - c&c welcome!

Hi, Iím very new to oil painting and painting in general, and Iíve painted a portrait. Iím not very good at the moment, but I hope to get a lot better with maybe some critique of my technique from everyone here

currently I think my issues are accurately sketching out the painting, ability to create tone and general lack of refinement of detail.... if itís important I generally use a limited palette and thin with oil paint medium #1

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Charlotte, NC

Hails from United States
Re: New portrait - c&c welcome!

I'm no expert, but I am teaching myself portraiture right now as well, so I will be as helpful as possible!

I'll start with the positive critiques, cause I think you have some good results on some of the hardest things (in my opinion) already.

The skin tone is actually pretty good. I would actually say, the colors through the entire painting feel pretty realistic to me. Value changes are pretty good as well, meaning the difference of light/dark between the bright parts of the hair vs the dark, and the highlights of the face vs the shadows. I would also say that the proportions are not bad either. They read as realistic.

Couple of places I think you could practice/push:

Color variation; When I look at the 4 major areas of the painting (Skin, Hair, Shirt, Background). They all seem to have only 2 tones. So your skin has the pale highlight, and the reddish shadow. The hair is blonde and brown. The more variation you put in these color ranges, the more realistic it will read. If you check out reference photos of people with light hair, they have the very blonde portion, some shadows underneath are almost black, with several different shades of browns in between. Same with skin, the more you work in ranges between your darkest area and lightest area, the more realistic it will seem. The shirt is almost straight black, it would help to add very subtle dark grey details on it. You can indicate where the light is coming from even on a black shirt. (usually the tops of the shoulders will have a mild highlight on them).

Edges. This one is very hard, and takes lots of practice. You want to try to make soft transitions in most places, where you are not specifically trying to show a hard edge. So the model's left side of her face, is right against a dark area behind, so the edge that is alright in my opinion. However, the left side of her neck is curving back into that shadow, so you want a soft edge/transition there. The neck looks a bit narrow, so if you were to widen it out with a soft transition from the color it is, to the darkness of the shadow behind, it might help. Same thing with the edge of the hair on the model's right side of her face. Where the edge of the hairline meets the face, if you blend between the color of the skin and the color of the hair, and make where one starts and the other ends a bit ambiguous, it will read better.

Final thing I will add is the eyebrows. You want to have the same ambiguous edge on the eyebrows. The edges of them should blend almost invisibly into the skin tone. Then, you go back over the top of the area with some dark, thin lines to define the shape of the hair of the eyebrow.

Hope some of the above helps!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

practice matching colors from your reference by putting the color next to what your are trying to paint. Keep mixing until it matches. It's the only way to really understand color. Real color will surprise you.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2018, 01:10 AM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Thank you both for your feedback! I understand what you both mean and I will try all the tips youve given me out and maybe post something when I see how I go
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

A bit more work refinement overall, definitely adjust eyebrows, (I'm sure you don't want them as an eye grabber..)
Neck size
Are you keeping the black of the sweater, or is it under painting?
The strong contrast of the black distracts from the face..

Top of head/hair might be too flat, look in a mirror and notice how the top of head & hair is.. she is looking slightly down so more top of head would show I think..
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Just a thought, a simple small stroke can make a big difference when painting anything. Portrait expressions are especially demanding, sometimes. The best advice to a newbie I think could be to be as spontaneous as you can, A quick stroke or two can become your best friend.