WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, June 2018: optional plein air theme

Geoff, I really like your cityscape. Iím seeing more in- between colors in the palette, great tones. Maybe the pre-mixing helped. I have tried mixing more on the palette, but tend to mix to much and only have to mix/change once on the canvas.
I got out today and worked for a couple hours painting one of my gardens. Everything is very green here now.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Moscatel: Your blueberry series is one of your finest. You've really paid close attention to the subtle value and temperature changes in the berries. I hope you keep posting them! Do you eat the subject after you've finished painting it?

Boogiechile: You did that in a couple hours? Color me impressed. You mixed many interesting shades of green, which is always a challenge with summer landscapes. My favorite bits are the yellow flowers (tulips) and red flowers. Really convincing and beautiful.

I started a plein air of a local Greek Orthodox church. I got a late start, so I didn't finish; I'll go back early next week to continue. Here's how it's developed so far. First the initial sketch, after about 30 minutes' work:

Next, the painting with some darks blocked in. Looking pretty good!

The lights will be trickier, as the light was tricky. When I first arrived, the sky was overcast. It remained that way when I started blocking in lights, but then abruptly a bright sun burst out of the western sky. So I wasn't sure whether to go with warm bright light or cooler, dimmer light. I'll make up my mind at the next session!

Also: for the life of me, I cannot draw a straight vertical line. I'll need to fix the tower on the right side, which looks like the leaning tower of Pisa. Sheesh -- the simplest things give me fits. Still, I like how this is coming along.

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Life class finally resumed today, after a three-week hiatus. We had the first of a two-week pose today. It was great to have a stationary model after drawing moving people from life the past three weeks.

But I was also out of practice, so it took me a while to get the drawing into respectable shape. Also, her face was mostly in shadow but slightly backlit; I'll have to deal with the shadows and light better next time. Still and all, not a bad start. "Sheba in June," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yesterday was day 2 of my project to paint Saint Peter & Paul's Orthodox Church. It's coming along but still needs work. I had hoped to return today, but the weather is iffy, so I'm thinking tomorrow. I need to fix some drawing issues (those pesky verticals among them), add windows and other architectural details, maybe add a cloud or two, and perhaps add a bit more vibrancy to the lights.

This photo is darker than the original; it doesn't quite do the painting justice. "Saint Peter & Paul's," in progress, oil on panel, 12" x 16."

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 PM

Hails from United States

Geoff,
I really enjoy seeing the progression of your work! Thanks for posting the series, all are very expressive. Itís so engaging to see the work in progress. Also want to say that I admire your bold brushwork and ability to convey the forms and spaces with what appears to be confident strokes.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words, Boogiechile! I have been making a conscious effort to make more fewer, more confident brushstrokes rather than dabbling. So I'm glad you see some progress there! But I still have a long way to go.

Today I worked on the painting for a third day. I refined the drawing, added some minor details, painted a few clouds, and made the sky a deeper blue, as it looked today. I still didn't finish; I need to add the crosses. But it's getting there. "Saints Peter & Paul's," work in progress, oil on panel, 12" x 16."

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Today was my last life class until September. (I'll start landscape class next week.) I did my best to finish this piece, which I started last week. I didn't quite get there, but I made good progress. "Sheba looking right," oil on canvas panel, 11" x 14."

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2018, 01:34 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Beautiful work Grotius, with both the portrait and plein air church!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Moscatel!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2018, 05:14 PM

Hails from United States

Geoff, I like your progress on the church. The sky seems maybe too high chroma, a little stark. Maybe take another look at your first impression of the sky.
I got out today and worked for about three hours on a vista view. Very hard this plein air. My colors are low chroma., started getting muddy This one is 11x15, on panel, which fits in my box.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

That's a very nice piece, Boogiechile. Yes, it's low chroma, but then nature's colors are often low chroma. I like all the soft edges and the atmospheric perspective on the distant trees. Not sure about the foliage in the very front of the foreground, but then I have trouble with grass and other low-lying foliage in the foreground, so I'm hardly an expert! Overall I really like it. Has a Van Gogh feel to it, with those warm strips of field.

You're right, my sky is probably too high chroma. My life-class instructor is always advising us to start with saturated colors and mute them later, rather than the other way around; he says it's easier to go from saturated to desaturated than the other way around. (I'm not sure he's right about that!)
I certainly do hate when my skies are too drab. Also, I was at the site on three different days, and day 1 was cloudy, while day 3 was bright sunshine.
In any case, the sky needs to be gradated more: the sky at the horizon was much lighter than the sky at the zenith. I'd put it aside for a while to let things dry before I put in the crosses, but if the sky needs to be lighter, I'd better get it out and fix it and let it dry again.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2018, 01:52 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
"Saints Peter & Paul's," work in progress, oil on panel, 12" x 16."

Grotius, I LOVE this painting. Don't change a thing on this one. If you wish to try other tonalities on this view instead you can start a new one because this one is a keeper. I see plein air painters do that a lot. If I bought a painting right now this would be the one! I just like everything about it!

Boogiechile, well done with the plein air. Nice to see you have been painting plein air.

Husband is trying to get me go back to field to paint and it's the fiesta time and days off work so we're thinking to head out of city this weekend ...
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:26 AM

Hails from United States

Thank you all for commenting. I worked on the painting this AM in the studio.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

It's looking good, Boogiechile. The clouds look great. And I still get that Van Gogh vibe from the fields of grain. Don't overwork it! Maybe it's time to sign it!

Thanks to you and Moscatel for your comments on my church painting. I looked at the original of the painting, and the sky is actually less-saturated than my photo would suggest. I need to work on photography skills. I'll probably follow Moscatel's advice and leave it be -- though I do want to add crosses to the tops of the domes.

Today I got out for a little plein air work, but thunderstorms moved in before I could finish. I experimented with a somewhat more detailed underpainting. I'm not sure whether a detailed underpainting is a good idea in the plein air setting; by the time I was ready to add color, the light had shifted. Here's a look after that stage -- after a good 45 minutes of trying to get the perspective on the darn benches correct, lol:

And here's the picture after another 45 or minutes or so, just before the storms drove me away. I struggled with all the green confronting me; I probably should've started with a more abstract background. Also, there are red flowers between the benches, but I'm saving those for last. I hope to return tomorrow. "Benches," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2018, 03:00 AM
Lord of the Arts

Grotius, Yes.. the crosses .. I almost forgot, it's good to add those. Also excellent start on your very green plein air "Benches" The painting has mystical feel to it. To comment on your thoughts about how much under painting to add -> I used to do more but these days almost none. I try to go directly with color.
I went to paint plein air Aspens yesterday but I don't have photo yet and I'm giving it some more brush strokes in the studio today. I post it later or next weekend when we're going to a trip to look for rocks (it's an event with a possibility to buy rocks ... lapis azuli ) and I try to paint a new one with a similar theme and on better canvas.

Boogiechile, I like a lot your latest painting! Well done!

DMArtist7, it looks like I will be painting plein air Kinderdijk mills in Holland on the weekend 24 .. 26.August and the beginning of the following week or entire week if I find enough to paint. We are flexible to days of stays on each locations. I hope you see this message and if you are interested in painting plein air on the same location then you can come to the windmills that time. You can contact me by message near those dates. Cars can be parked very near to the mills so there's an easy access. You can recognize me well since I paint with a Bengal cat lol.

How is everyone else doing with plein air?

Last edited by moscatel : 06-24-2018 at 03:22 AM.