WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 12:46 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... June 2018

Nancy, glad you are still working on that doc list...look forward to hearing how it goes..

as for my b'day celebration, yes I had been hearing 'happy birthday' all day, but the nice little extras and even a gift, were not expected...I am a little spoiled..
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

It is such a beautiful morning under my tree, that I am finding it difficult to get up and get along on other stuff.

Not to mention Sleeping Beauty resting her chin on my ankle.
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 04:06 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Looks like a peaceful start to your day Marcia...

has been totally cloudy here...forecast says by Sunday we may see sun.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 05:03 PM
A WC! Legend

I am painting right now, have another hour before I have to clean my brushes and myself for a meeting at 5.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2018, 05:13 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

glad you are able to include some painting in your day.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 AM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

Keith Russell update:
I've actually painted more pieces, this year so far, than in any year since graduating from college (in 2008).

I have three students (hoping for more) at my weekely painting class Thursday afternoons.

And, I'm scheduling (for the first time in a long while, perhaps nearly two decades) some out-of-town shows for next year.
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Congrats Keith...sounds as if things are going well for you!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Hi Spiderman, longtime no see!
Glad to hear you're painting a lot and scheduling upcoming shows! Good luck with getting more students, too. I should be more proactive when it comes to making future commitments.

I had a local arts council meeting last night, and have a county meeting in San Bernardino this afternoon. It's at 2, so I have to leave here at noon. Found out that we didn't get the grant I applied for locally, so I was kinda bummed, but last night's meeting was productive, so I am feeling less like these organizations are wasting my time. We'll see how I feel after driving 4 hours for a 1 1/2 hour meeting that ends about the time rush hour starts.
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:28 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, good luck with that commute...and meeting...

a week or two ago I submitted to a few galleries here again...anyway...nothing .. not even sure they bothered going to my site...will give it a small amount of time and likely see the culling begin...in the end I hope it is more a cleansing than sorrow..at one point had considered trying to push internet sales, cheap...but with my canvas sizes shipping is not practical...but then that is assuming anyone would actually choose to buy....
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 AM
A WC! Legend

Becca, I am just curious, have you met with the people who run these galleries face to face? I had a woman give me her card at an awards presentation a couple of years ago, but when I visited her gallery, I had to wonder why. The gallery was very very nice, but none of the art was anything like what I do. I couldn't imagine any of her clientele being interested in my work. I was sort of grateful that she was not in the day I visited, it would have felt very awkward.
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, yes that is a point....and I have been in one of the galleries and looked online at the collection of the other...thing is, there are nearly no galleries here in Portland that feature the type are I do, I'v found 0....and although guests are always generous with their comments when they see my art irl, I'm to the point I believe it's unlikely anyone actually wants to own it...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I'm pressed for time and was lurking...so just one quick response.

Becca, some of the online galleries pay for shipping and I think even packaging. I believe Saachi pays for shipping, but you have to package the painting (according to their standards). Ugallery sends you the box to ship the piece in. Some of them don't want you to frame the work, so that's one less thing to worry about (or pay for). An online gallery might be the way to go, as you're likely to get more eyes on your work. At least I think so...and most of them are free to sign up for (I think Ugallery charges a minimal fee of $5 just to weed out unserious people). So, even for the ones that have a fairly high commission, there's not too much to lose if the alternative is throwing away your paintings.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 06-14-2018 at 03:55 PM.
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:42 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie, thank you, but I do have an art site anything could have been purchased through should that have been anyone's desire, and post on instagram and FB...it is simply a fact that these painting are significant to me, and the experience creating them was in itself worthwhile...but that is the end of the story...

Thank you for your interest in offering options.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Annie, thank you, but I do have an art site anything could have been purchased through should that have been anyone's desire, and post on instagram and FB...it is simply a fact that these painting are significant to me, and the experience creating them was in itself worthwhile...but that is the end of the story...

Thank you for your interest in offering options.
Becca, from what I've read, trying to attract people to one's own website is generally not so successful, as it's so hard for potential buyers to find you in amongst all the other artist websites, not to mention non-artist websites. I don't know enough about selling on instagram (do people really look to purchase art there, or is it mostly a space for existing collectors to see their artist's new work?) and FB (I have heard that some use...is it "FB Groups" to advertise their work?). In other words, it seems possible that potential buyers all have to know the artist in the first place in order to find them on instagram or FB. I also think that some of the online gallery sites I mentioned (and there a lot of others) are pretty good about promoting the work of artists on their platform, but I've not actually used any of the sites myself, so I'll shut up about it now.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 06-14-2018 at 10:42 PM.
  #105   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2018, 04:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Becca, some of the online galleries pay for shipping and I think even packaging. I believe Saachi pays for shipping,
OH, do they? That's new to me. Is it worldwide or just in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Ugallery sends you the box to ship the piece in.
WOW! I didn't know that either.

In the future these are something to consider. Thanks Annie!
Annie, also read your post about social media as a sales tool and I think I might take a loooooong personal meditation break from those sites and not even clicking in there. I prefer to spend that time for yoga, meditation and sports etc and not to forget that muffin requires her daily walks also. Plus the rest of time of course focus more in painting - it's just a personal experiment. Besides I hear artists doing that a lot these days.

Marcia, I liked your last cat photo - the one leaning to your ankle! Those kind are special photos. Thanks for posting.

Hello to everyone else. Off I go to painting. Hubby is today working from home so he will take Muffin to her walk.

Last edited by moscatel : 06-15-2018 at 04:44 AM.