WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM
New York City

Hails from United States
Re: In defense of painting from photos

Quote:
Ms Marmalade - sorry to darken your door but I got lost.

No Ken, you did not get lost YOU ARE FOLLOWING ME INTENTIONALLY and trying to wreak havoc in the oils forum. Such trouble.

Also, following me is a really bad idea because I always seem to go the wrong way. (Sometimes I get cool ref photographs when I get lost.)

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 11:35 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeliad
...I always seem to go the wrong way. (Sometimes I get cool ref photographs when I get lost.)
This is my philosophy on travel exactly. How boring to have a strictly planned itinerary, when the happy accidents and wrong turns are where the fun lies. Painting is a lot like that too, even when starting with a photo.

Ken, speaking of wandering (as if to prove my point), I happened to click on your Civil War series. Those are amazing portraits! My great grandfather, William P. Derby, wrote a book on his experiences in the Civil War as part of the Massachusetts 27th, including being held prisoner at Andersonville, and I've on occasion toyed with the idea of trying to paint some of the scenes that he describes. Have you ever heard of the book? It's available online https://archive.org/details/04785722.3251.emory.edu, and contains some photographs of the people involved, including one of Derby himself.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-28-2018 at 11:52 AM.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippie
An artist I like, Peter Fiore, (who often works from photos on a large monitor) has said that a plein air painting is like a good song--a really good song, but a studio painting-with all its layers and glazes and manipulations- is like a symphony. I tend to agree with his view.

Not a symphony. More a pop record. Each to his own.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Ken, speaking of wandering (as if to prove my point), I happened to click on your Civil War series. Those are amazing portraits! My great grandfather, William P. Derby, wrote a book on his experiences in the Civil War as part of the Massachusetts 27th, including being held prisoner at Andersonville, and I've on occasion toyed with the idea of trying to paint some of the scenes that he describes. Have you ever heard of the book? It's available online https://archive.org/details/04785722.3251.emory.edu, and contains some photographs of the people involved, including one of Derby himself.
Thank you. I found them very interesting to draw and study their lives ... and I also found the lenses used were most interesting. On a drawing I did of Lincoln the lens showed areas of his face where I could clearly see pores yet in other places it was a hemogenous blur forcing me to make up a realistic texture. This was true of nearly all the photos I used.

I am not familiar with your relative though that should not be particularly surprising as there were nearly 3 million soldiers in uniform during that war. If his writing creates images of the scenes in your mind you should try to get them on canvas as a way to honor him and challenge yourself.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 01:11 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
No Ken, you did not get lost YOU ARE FOLLOWING ME INTENTIONALLY and trying to wreak havoc in the oils forum. Such trouble.
And did I EVER claim NOT to be trouble? It's my job. I just haven't plied my trade here until now.

Quote:
Also, following me is a really bad idea because I always seem to go the wrong way. (Sometimes I get cool ref photographs when I get lost.)
If you should walk into a wall, I promise not to follow you and do the same. However, I will certainly have a good laugh at your expense.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

The Sparrow is Da' Man.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
I just haven't plied my trade here until now.

I'm going over to D&S now.

Quote:
If you should walk into a wall, I promise not to follow you and do the same. However, I will certainly have a good laugh at your expense.

Nah you'll follow me.

Quote:
The Sparrow is Da' Man.

NOOOOOOOOO don't tell him that it goes right to his head we will NEVER hear the end of it.

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 02:40 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
I am not familiar with your relative though that should not be particularly surprising as there were nearly 3 million soldiers in uniform during that war. If his writing creates images of the scenes in your mind you should try to get them on canvas as a way to honor him and challenge yourself.
No, I didn't think you'd necessarily be familiar with my relative, although his book apparently is widely used by Civil War history researchers. I posted the link because I thought the photos within it might be something you could use in your work. For me, there are so many directions I would like to take my painting in and right now I'm focused on cityscapes, but yes, I'd really like to do a few paintings from the images brought to mind from Derby's book.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOO don't tell him that it goes right to his head we will NEVER hear the end of it.
Ms.Marmalade ... shame shame shame. The things you think ...

#70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
The Sparrow is Da' Man.
Hey Derrick. I escaped from my normal den and stopped by to see y'all. But all this color around here is a bit disconcerting ... doesn't anyone paint only in Paynes Gray?

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 03-28-2018 at 04:49 PM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
No, I didn't think you'd necessarily be familiar with my relative, although his book apparently is widely used by Civil War history researchers. I posted the link because I thought the photos within it might be something you could use in your work. For me, there are so many directions I would like to take my painting in and right now I'm focused on cityscapes, but yes, I'd really like to do a few paintings from the images brought to mind from Derby's book.
The problem with using old photos is that the drawing created from them is only as good as the original image. If it's too small I can't get enough detail to make it work ... or if it hasn't got the resolution (which is often the case with Southern images or Northern photos taken in the field during the war) then I run into the same problem. And, as I said, I spend 150 hours on a drawing so I want to maximize the chances for a successful outcome. I do especially like to read unit histories written by survivors though ... they have an immediacy you can't get any other way.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
doesn't anyone paint only in Paynes Gray

Well lots of us do grisaille or notan studies.

The things i think... are from long experience with a particularly suspicious Sparrow- person!

Look now im an active participant in derailing this thread, oh BadKen, you are so very Bad!

Last edited by stapeliad : 03-28-2018 at 08:44 PM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
The things i think... are from long experience with a particularly suspicious Sparrow- person!
You know my cousin Jack????

Quote:
Look now im an active participant in derailing this thread, oh BadKen, you are so very Bad!
I'm not to be confused with the new, good, moderator, Ken. Besides .. all I did was participate in the thread right on subject (for a change). All y'all led me astray ... because I simply answered you. And I think a certain Orange Marmalade sort of sticky person got me started but I won't name names.

My apologies to the OP for this somewhat humorous expedition. You just can't trust moderators ... you know ... not all of them are as wonderful as me. Ask Derrick (ms. marmalade!!!) HA!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 08:52 AM
New York City

Hails from United States

SIGH

Ken we need to make sure you don't escape again.
Notice that GoodKen came to oils and posted a really lovely painting (in COLOR), and didn't cause one bit of trouble.

(I'm not that sticky, usually..... )

*** So now back to PHOTOGRAPHS and working from them!

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
SIGH

Ken we need to make sure you don't escape again.
Notice that GoodKen came to oils and posted a really lovely painting (in COLOR), and didn't cause one bit of trouble.
I'm balancing things out.

And I did start on how I use photos ....