WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Re: In defense of painting from photos

John Bergers 'Way of Seeing' filmed way back in the 80's explains why digital is the antithesis of painting. Its now acclaimed by most art academics and incorporated into many universities studies across the world.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeliad
This wonderful thing is clamped to my easel...I highly recommend this or something similar.

I love it!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
A delightful video on a painter I admire: Heather Neill. You may find the way she works interesting.

https://vimeo.com/176351229
never heard about her, but really amazing results, you can see differnces results at her paintings because she paint from photos.
i saw a studio painters that when they out for plein-air, the results looked less professional than their studio painting (talking about landscapes). then they start taking half plein-air to finnish it in the studio.
but this is all about, plein-air was made for impression, and this is where it should stay. it dependes on lots of conditions.
thank you for the refer Derek, i can see in the video how she have a spark in her head for painting.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 AM
Florida, USA

Hails from United States

I always prefer to paint live whenever possible. Photos only produce a fraction of the tones that the human eyes can see, so I shoot as many pics as possible with different camera settings to minimize the difference.

But..... being a wildlife painter I notice that...Getting wildlife to pose and sit for a painting can be a little difficult. LOL.
In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 05:52 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
John Bergers 'Way of Seeing' filmed way back in the 80's explains why digital is the antithesis of painting. Its now acclaimed by most art academics and incorporated into many universities studies across the world.
All generations have their Luddites. They can crash their own computer and mobile phone if they want. But by fact digital world is a next stage of human development. I do not like that, but I can't do anything against facts.

But I can think, that our Drones are better than their Drones. Also, we can hide our painting drones activity just like Monet was always ready to talk about his pure plain air nature, but silently used 3 or 4 photo-cameras and he had 3 studios to work there with his photographies. And he fought against academy studios painting process.
Propaganda and advertising can make any wrong thing to be right. The right thing is not what is really right. The right is a thing, that must be right. Our Drones are right Drones! Digital activity is creative until it is controlled by living human. We can control digital chips to make art!

Last edited by Gigalot : 03-24-2018 at 06:09 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Gigalot if you embrace the digital age then be prepared for Professor Stephen Hawkings final words. And dont regret not heeding them......

Monet used film not digital. The prints back then were glass negatives when printed out completely obliterate plastic digital rubbish of today. Out resolving them by 100s of mb and the step value. So if he did use them then he had a huge head start. Nothing luddite about that.

Last edited by Raffless : 03-24-2018 at 07:20 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 08:27 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

You can produce a perfectly adequate painting from a photo but why subject yourself to the total boredom of sitting in a stuffy studio poring over a photo or screen when you could be out in the rain and weather with the wildlife painting.

It’s a bit like sailing across the sea to climb a mounting or reading a book about it, it’s the experience that makes the difference.

The Painting will not be any better for being painted in the rain but the sense of achievement and the joy of being in the field will be enhanced.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

I like to do both, but sadly I can only finish small sketches out there in the wild before I get hungry or time is up, and I'm too timid to paint on a crowded square. Still I find my modest attempts to plein air painting very instructive.

As said here before one has to learn about the limitations of the camera, esp. when we mortals are trying to take these so called photographs. If you only have an iphone you can improve things by taking an extra shot without the sky (pointing the camera downwards), to change the exposure so that you can see details and values in the land which otherwise would be lost if the sky is bright. This way you will have a better reference material.

So I like to bring home some sketches and my own photographs from my adventures in the countryside, and most of all start working on a painting from it before my soul returns home. The Indians knew that the soul travels slower than a man on a horse, and much slower than modern transport, up to a week later. I think they are right.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

In the future they will say " He paints pretty well, for a human", and "Wow! That is an amazing painting art-ificial intelligence. Who programmed that?"
The idea of using a "photo" to paint from will seem quaint and eccentric.

Will humans still want to paint when computers do it better?

Even now, we can take a photo, run it through software to make it into an impressionist painting, send the file to have it printed onto canvas. Most people would think it's a painting.

Last edited by john : 03-24-2018 at 06:20 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

"Even now, we can take a photo, run it through software to make it into an impressionist painting, send the file to have it printed onto canvas. Most people would think it's a painting."

So John.....THAT'S your secret.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Even now, we can take a photo, run it through software to make it into an impressionist painting, send the file to have it printed onto canvas. Most people would think it's a painting.
Computer can do some "digital" mistakes we can correct later in Photoshop. Or when applied paint on canvas. Artists of the past used Camera Obscura. It was large and expensive equipment. Digital Cam and computer made our painting life more easy and somewhat very creative with the digital chaos impression.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
In the future they will say " He paints pretty well, for a human", and "Wow! That is an amazing painting art-ificial intelligence. Who programmed that?"
The idea of using a "photo" to paint from will seem quaint and eccentric.

Will humans still want to paint when computers do it better?

what value it has?
its not better than toilet papper, once you understand its a print.
i see prints come form the east in large size, selling for 25$.
i agree most peoples that dont give a dman will buy it and put it in office , house, etc.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2018, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Again i refer back to the classic Bbc series way of seeing. Now the question of value of a painting done from a photo is i think a great question. Yes Vermeer may have used a camera obscura but its not a digital camera. A projected image from a convex lens on a flat surface. His paintings are worth a vast fortune. Maybe Warhol and his prints spoke more about how we value crap these days. Is a painting worth more if it is done from imagination and the painters view. I think so. If i bought a painting that was a copy of a photo i think its just another form of a print. Your opinion may differ however.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2018, 06:13 PM

The eyeball and the camera are different in how they perceive and represent the world.

I favor using my (rather short-sighted) eyeball, along with my mind, often helped by camera assists to remind me of the scene composition or to pick out color variations.

I've used pure photos, but they aren't /quite/ right, I have to do things to properly paint what the camera said isn't there.

That said, a lot of people do a lot of detailed painting by photos. Not going to slam them or deprecate what they do. It's not how I roll.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

I work almost exclusively from photos, since I'm a pet portrait artist, and pets don't sit still long enough and/or aren't present. I do know cameras "lie" so I don't follow them exactly. I sometimes use photos as a jump off, and create something much different. That's usually the case when it's not a pet portrait, though.