WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:35 PM

Re: In defense of painting from photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeliad
If you want to run a paint-from-photo project please PM me with a description of what you would like to do.

The working from life forum project is in no way an attitude reflection of any kind, and Geoff kindly volunteers to host the painting from life projects because that's what he does, and there is great interest in it.

Iím sure that no offense was intended and I actually enjoy following that thread. Another thread on painting from photos might be interesting and instructive, particularly if posters included the original photos as well as their interpretations of them. People experienced in photography could also help point out areas where an artist could compensate for photo shortcomings.

I participate in a weekly painting group where most of the artists are working from photos and Iím often amazed at the creativity people use from ďcopyingĒ photos.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestrokeartist
I hope at some point I will get out and paint a plein air landscape. One thing that does stop me from doing so is that I don't like anyone coming up to see what I am doing. I am a solitary painter. I don't even like my husband coming up to see what I am painting before I am finished.

In the days when I did a lot more plein air, I was painting the Grand Canyon from the lodge on the north rim. While working on the painting, a Japanese tourist offered to buy it from me. I was flattered but declined the offer since it wasnít done and the paint was still wet. Iím not sure if he realized that oil paintings take a while to dry.

Many people will come up to view your work when painting plein air, particularly in a busy area. It can be fun but also distracting. It doesnít bother me because Iím very focused but itís not for everyone.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Another thread on painting from photos might be interesting and instructive, particularly if posters included the original photos as well as their interpretations of them.

Again, if you would like to host such a thread, please let me know. This whole forum is run by volunteers.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:01 PM

i think? to paint from photo is much harder than outside or still-life.
im not talking about the short-cut way that you manipulate the photo for your own propose, but use it mucj more like plein-air, "paint what you see".
nothing we can do about it, and lets face it, time have changed, we are no more or better say half lazy to go out when we have so much information right under our hands.
i never went out for plein-air, im not a fun of still-life paintings, i love all kind of landscapse, and the truth? its hard for me to paint landscape from photos.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

WHO KNEW???

Last edited by Dcam : 03-19-2018 at 06:24 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMather
What do you think? What suggestions or tips would you give someone who primarily paints from photos? Some of mine would be:

- Paint from your own photos.
- Donít be afraid to change the composition and other elements to make your painting better than the photo.
- Crop the photo to improve the composition.
- Paint loosely, using the photo as a reference rather than strictly trying to reproduce the image.
- Adjust the lighting to more accurately reflect the real-life image. Cameras tend to overexpose bright areas (like the sky) and underexpose shadows.

I agree with all of those..
" Don't be a slave to the photo"
Color, values & composition can always be adjusted for a better painting..
Cameras can't capture all the nuances the eye could see in real life.. but we can imagine it with some knowledge..

Sometimes I think the "paint from life" saying could be changed to " go out & study real world objects." More of an eye training or maybe artist brain training?? Something like that..
Then in time you should be able to look at a photo and see the artistically improved view in your head..

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 03-19-2018 at 06:29 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:32 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

A delightful video on a painter I admire: Heather Neill. You may find the way she works interesting.

https://vimeo.com/176351229
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Plain air can't be photoshoped and projected. In our digital age, plain air is a stone age technology. Caveman leaves his cave to paint on the open air!
Just a kind of advertisement. Then he can tell us a tale how he painted tsunami wave, when he was sitting in his poor boat in front of iceberg!

Last edited by Gigalot : 03-19-2018 at 06:40 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Plain air can't be photoshoped and projected. In our digital age, plain air is a stone age technology. Caveman leaves his cave to paint on the open air!
Just a kind of advertisement. Then he can tell us a tale how he painted tsunami wave, when he was sitting in his poor boat in front of iceberg!

Thank goodness the anti digital revolution continues. Film is returning after a brief sabbatical. (Digital forums are dying a death and Nikon and Canon are slashing their assets after a few bad years). Vinyl has returned and is going from strength to strength. Concerts now have vinyl in their merchandise due to high demand.

Photography nearly destroyed painting circa 1910 or so. We must fight to stop this digital age. Even Stephen Hawking warned of this in his last Reddit post that everyones talking about.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 PM

I work from whatever I can.

The big "mistake" I see, in using photos (and I have to fight the tendency myself) is in trying to copy the image, as compared to painting from life, where you can't possible re-create what you're seeing.

I often hear people saying, "I got that wrong" when copying a photo. In fact "distortion" and variation can make your work a work of expression.

Most of us start with a visual idea; but I think we should always work towards a feeling. Put the picture aside, and concentrate on composition, and notice how the elements of composition can heighten what you feel about your subject, even if it's just the paint itself that interests you.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 03:19 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
Thank goodness the anti digital revolution continues. Film is returning after a brief sabbatical. (Digital forums are dying a death and Nikon and Canon are slashing their assets after a few bad years). Vinyl has returned and is going from strength to strength. Concerts now have vinyl in their merchandise due to high demand.

Photography nearly destroyed painting circa 1910 or so. We must fight to stop this digital age. Even Stephen Hawking warned of this in his last Reddit post that everyones talking about.
"Our" digital technique is "right", useful and effective. But digital technique of another artists are "enemy" digital. So, we must fight against "their" digital revolution, but in the other hand, our revolution is right, just increase to use our projectors. Our Phtotoshop is better than other Photoshop and our drones must continue bombing enemy artist's position!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
Vinyl has returned and is going from strength to strength. Concerts now have vinyl in their merchandise due to high demand.
It's self-deception. People are listening their MP3 because digital music quality is better or the same and MP3 is extremely useful format.
Digital equipment is better to make a copy of our world's image.

Last edited by Gigalot : 03-20-2018 at 04:13 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

You can really see the difference if you photograph a still life. The photo will not compare to looking at the still life infront of you. Alot of the rich shadow colors, the blacks that are darker than black paint. The perspective will be warped. ect.. All those things are deleted when you capture the actual photo. I wish technology was good enough that a photo is as real as looking at an actual real object, but it's just not there.. yet. And the biggest thing is it's so freeing to just sit and paint something without having to bother with a camera/computer/printer.

But how many grapes and teapots can you paint? And flowers die, birds fly away, and I can't hold my breath long enough to paint a fish . So I work from photographs on my monitor. It's a decent compromise. I loose some realism to paint a more interesting subject.

Then there is painting from a print. Which is the biggest bottleneck you can paint from. It's already been bottle necked from the actual capturing of the photo. Then bottle necked again when it's printed. These days the worst monitor can reproduce something closer to life than the best prints. The advantages prints hold is that they're portable you can check your colors directly on them. And put them directly beside whatever you are painting.
It's kinda hard to stick your monitor to the canvas .

One day, when I grow up, I will have Marilyn Monroe pose for hyper-real painting from life. That will take forever I bet.

Last edited by Ellis Ammons : 03-20-2018 at 07:40 AM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 AM
New York City

Hails from United States

This wonderful thing is clamped to my easel...I highly recommend this or something similar.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
"Our" digital technique is "right", useful and effective. But digital technique of another artists are "enemy" digital. So, we must fight against "their" digital revolution, but in the other hand, our revolution is right, just increase to use our projectors. Our Phtotoshop is better than other Photoshop and our drones must continue bombing enemy artist's position!

It's self-deception. People are listening their MP3 because digital music quality is better or the same and MP3 is extremely useful format.
Digital equipment is better to make a copy of our world's image.

Cleaner not better. Phil Spectors wall of sound as an example just doesnt transpose well to wav mp3 etc etc. Plus and this is the biggy a people now want a physical hard copy they can actually hold in their hands. Its a tactile thing we have lost in the sterile digital age.

The digital age has created a lost generation of non identity. Its all in the cloud
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM
New York City

Hails from United States

Let's please keep this thread on topic. Thank you.