Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Mural help – alternativetemporary methods

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Panda570

Hello All,
        I was initially asked by a local non-profit to paint a few indoor murals inside their new office space. I had originally designed large, edge-to-edge murals but unfortunately the landlord has now requested that we not paint directly onto the walls, so I’m trying to come up with an alternative idea where I can still paint a large scale installation (as opposed to just painting on standard sized stretched canvas to hang on the wall). I’m curious if anyone here has any advice on how to go about this? The budget is very limited at $500 for 3-4 interior walls, and I have agreed to do the paintings at cost of materials since they are a non-profit and a cause I believe in. I have seen some large scale paintings done on unframed canvas rolls, but am not sure how to go about hanging/adhering to the walls in a way that A: doesn’t hurt the walls and B: is long term and looks high quality. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

La_

masonite (hardboard) or plywood (good one side) would be my choice. masonite is cheap, smooth and light enough to be hung with a few mirror hangers.

if the landlord balks at a few nails/screws in the wall, well, yer pooched

la

Mike L

Been awhile since this thread/topic was posted, but here’s some additional information that might help OP if still looking, or someone else with the same question.

Rolls of canvas might work. Blick sells 72″ x 9′ triple primed 15 oz duck canvas for around $100. Page linked to says it’s 15 oz in the description and 20 oz in the individual data columns. Might contact them to see which it is.

This source sells 15 oz 60″ wide canvas in 1 yd increments for $5.99/yard. You’d have to prime it, but for a mural a decent paint primer from the hardware store would probably work as well as gesso and be a lot less expensive.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.