Home Forums The Learning Center Computers and Technology for Artists removing glare in photoshop?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Non-Sequittor

Hey all, i got my artwork photographed and while i was planning on using the pictures for prints, i noticed most of the photos have a fair amount of glare. the paintings are quite textured and glossy. I tried using a cpl on my smartphone to see if i could reshoot them, but no dice. also, the quality of the pictures from the photographer are much better than what i am producing.

Is it possible to remove the glare from them using photoshop or anyother manipulation program?

cheers

what you see here is none of my business

c&c welcome

Harold Roth

It’s possible to decrease it. Take the photo, then turn the painting 45 degrees. Don’t move the lights. Just turn the painting on its side. Take another photo. Turn the painting 45 degrees again (so now it’s upside-down) and take another photo. Do this again so you end up with four photos, all having glare on them IN A DIFFERENT PLACE from the same lights/windows/whatever.

In Photoshop, choose Panorama and merge the four photos. The glare will be pretty much gone. I have done this when I got glare from glossy paint or when I forgot to take a good photo before I varnished. It works.

Non-Sequittor

oh wow.. thanks! never occurred to me to turn the painting, lol. been trying to figure out how to reposition the lights. total brain-fart. i’ll give that a try

what you see here is none of my business

c&c welcome

TWAdair Art

Harold Roth is a genius! I’m going to try that too! I’m certainly no photographer so Ive always blamed by poor photography skills. but this might just work!
                    Thanks!

markhwebster

reflections are a real problem with oil paintings. Try shooting them in the shade and with nothing white anywhere nearby. If that’s not an option, a rotatable polarizer filter on your lens can help. Once you’ve got it in Photoshop, the damage is hard to repair.

Mark Webster

I am living proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

http://www.websterart.com/html/still-lifes-v4.php

josewu

Must try the Panorama in Photoshop!

Some years ago I found in https://www.aucklandartgallery.com a text in pdf, “Standard Copying Technique” with a chapter called “Eliminating surface reflections with a digital camera”. The pdf is not available online now. Anyway, the text is:

“When physical constraints prevent you from positioning your lights optimally, or when you cannot or don’t wish to use polarising filters you can remove the reflections with your picture editing software.

This technique can be used to photograph textured glossy surfaces, (not just paintings) and through glass.

It does not produce the contrast increase obtained by cross polarising using film.

This is an ideal way to photograph miniatures mounted behind curved glass.

The technique consists of shooting two separate images, and using only the best elements of each image.

Photograph the subject once with a light on the left hand side, and once with the light on the right hand side. The subject and the camera must not move between exposures.

Superimpose the two images as layers or objects in your picture editing software. Choose Darker or Merge if Darker.

If the two images did not contain overlapping reflections then all the unwanted highlights will be removed.”

Hope it helps.
                            Jose

Jose M. Romero[/COLOR]
                            http://arte.golfvalleyhomes.com

BlackHand

get professional lighting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.