WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 08:21 PM
San Jose, CA, USA

Hails from Estonia
First One Ever...

This is my first acrylic ever... It was painted from a painting by.... Thomas Kinkade (i clipped a photo of the original from a magazine - it is about 1/4 of 12x16)... Worked on it for 2 evenings and today morning... I have done some awful watercolors before this one and i think im falling in love with acrylics... This is painted on 12x16 Frederix canvasboard with the cheapest acrylics available (Liquitex Basics??) so the total cost of this painting is less then $5... And i was using god awful cheap-as-hell brushes (the where like $10 for 18 brushes + brush holder)...
So what do you think...
I feel that im gonna try some more with these supplies and if the outcome is the same im gonna switch to acrylics full time and buy some more advanced supplies...
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
hehe, I also just started with acrylics too. I really like the sense of depth in the harbor and sky. The only critique I would give is that the clump of trees on the right seems a bit flat, but aside from that I really like it. Very spontaneous and expressive.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2003, 08:43 PM
San Jose, CA, USA

Hails from Estonia
Yeah, the trees are a bit funky, but it is cos in the original there were 2 houses and some scrubs, but after trying to make the houses look ok i gave up and went with trees... But they are not that bad... I think it might be the flash thingy on my digcam that "flattens" the colors...
Cheers,
Indrek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2003, 07:11 AM
A Local Legend
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
Indieman This is very nice for your first acrylic. And a Kinkade, yet! Very ambitious!

I agree with LazarusCMII, and I'd brighten the path in the foreground, just a wee bit!

Great job!
-Les

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
This is terrific for a first acrylic and very encouraging for those just hovering, wondering whether to have a go themselves - and you have started with the right attitude - a little bit cautious with your money! Great stuff, Indieman and welcome to the forum.

andy.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
I agree that this is terrific.

What do you mean that you've done some awful watercolors? I thought you had a great style. Yeah, I am also lurking over here out of watercolor into acrylics. It is an interesting medium, I like some aspects of it and other bits...well. Still have lots to learn.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography