WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2001, 12:57 PM
NC, USA

Hails from United States
my first arcylics

Hey,
well this is my first arcylics painting on canvas. i know that it looks flat, and once i get some oils i am going to go back over it and make it look better! please give me some feedback because i would like to know what you think. thanks a lot!
~crazi
Attached Images

it is my opinion that everything must be based upon an extremely simple idea. and it is my opinion that this idea, once we have finally discovered it, will be so compelling, so beautiful, that we will say to one another, yes how could it have been any different. ~john wheeler
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2001, 06:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Long Beach, California

Hails from United States
Why mix oil with acrylic? Go over it with acrylic, try adding a gloss medium or fibers for texture. Sylvielu
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2001, 07:01 AM
South Jersey

Smile Crazi4art:

Just my thoughts but I think maybe you could use a little bit more of something between your flowers, ( fill in the empty spaces ) Don't be afraid to let them touch or over lap each other. maybe put some grass or further back in the distance some more flowers. you might want to try adding a few more colors to your flowers; if you really look at a flower you will notice many shades of the same color or even some different colors, I think a few different shades make it look a bit more natural more so then just one solid color. play with that a while and let me know if you see a difference. Very nice job I really like the way you have the limbs with leaves hanging down.

You go girl!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2001, 02:41 PM
NC, USA

Hails from United States
hey,
thanks both of you! i am going to go over it with oil because i think they oil will give it more shape, make it so it doesn't seem so flat as it is now. thanks a lot bug. i don't think i am going to do anything with the back groud, i MIGHT add some grass but i will have to think about it before i go back and touch it. well thanks both of you and if you have any comments please let me know......
~crazi~
it is my opinion that everything must be based upon an extremely simple idea. and it is my opinion that this idea, once we have finally discovered it, will be so compelling, so beautiful, that we will say to one another, yes how could it have been any different. ~john wheeler
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2001, 07:03 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Exclamation oils over acrylic

Crazi, you're off to a great start. But I highly recommend that you don't paint over acrylics in oil. Despite the fact that many artists do this, including professionals, (and some art stores even recommend this), the oil will not adhere properly, it will over time lose it's flexibiity, and it will eventually peel off.

Painting over acrylic paint is not the same as painting over acrylic gesso...acrylic gesso is specially designed to have proper absorbency and tooth (roughness) so that oil paint will adhere properly to it. Acrylic paint has neither the absorbency nor the tooth.

It'd be a shame to have an original painting that you put so much into self-destruct years or decades from now. If you want to put more highlights on top, I only recoomend you use acrylics. Good luck.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2001, 12:13 PM
Thomaston, Georgia

Hails from United States
Your going to do great, just need to add more highlights, shadows, values to your painting.
I paint in both oil and acrylic and find joy and heartache in both.
There is always good and bad to any medium you try.
The key is to keep painting till you find what's the best for you.
Doc