WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Hails from United States
M. Graham, W&N finity or Golden thick, what do you think?

Just curious what others think, which they might prefer, reasons why, etc.

Price wise, winsor&newton finity wins without question.

Base your answers on their primary colors, I guess be it cad or naphol or hansa.

Before someone says, TRY THEM YOURSELF!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!

I got lucky and I do have each brands primary colors in front of me, tried two brands so far.

I just want others thoughts, there is no right or wrong answer, feel free to run wild with your thoughts.

Feel free to break out the pugil sticks and fight if need be.

Last edited by JWT : 06-05-2008 at 11:02 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
A WC! Legend
Okeechobee, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: M. Graham, W&N finity or Golden thick, what do you think?

Sorry not much of a help, I'm new to acrylic in just February and have only purchased Liquitex basics matt and som liquitex hard body paints. I know no others. but interested in learning. Sitting back and watching for the experts comments.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Hails from United States

I woulda included tri-art but they only sent red oxide, cad yellow hue and sap green light.

I can say the red oxide is more opaque than golden thick burnt umber and dick blick burnt sienna. Its kinda wild how thick that stuff is.

m graham hansa yellow and golden hansa yellow medium, seem to be very simillar.

Last edited by JWT : 06-05-2008 at 12:43 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 01:14 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Well, I am kinda new too...but am in the process of moving from student grade up to artist grade...just have a ton of the others to use up...lol! Maybe it is time to buy some HUGE canvases...lol. So far...I have tried Liquitex heavy body, winsor&newton finity and Golden heavy body....and I think that I would say I like the golden best...but I really am not being fair, since I have only done about two paintings with just the artist grade. I tend to paint more toward the impasto method (if I have my terminology right) straight from the tube...adding only some slow-dri or glazing medium since I found it. Don't much find myself using alot of water...don't like the effect as much...but still experimenting ALOT! It won't be a year since I started painting till Sept. so lots to try...lots to learn here!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Western Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I've never tried the M. Graham acrylics, but I've been using Golden and W&N Finity acrylics for many years (the standard body paints in both and Golden Fluid Acrylics--not the heavy bodied paints). Both brands superb, have great handling qualities and heavy pigment loads as professional grade paints should. I also like the Tri-art brand (they make the Stephen Quiller acrylic paints). All these brands will certainly suit your needs. I know you probably don't want to hear it, but you have to find out for yourself which one you like best. Only one way to do that...

What we can tell you is what we don't like about a particular brand. Liquitex is the only one mentioned so far that I personally don't like. I have never liked the handling quality of their standard body paints. They feel like I'm painting with colored Elmer's Glue. But I know that there are lots of folks here who like them. Perhaps they've changed in recent years.

Beverly
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
M. Graham don't get enough love but the few comments I've read about their paints (not just acrylics) have tended to be positive, so I'd definitely like to see someone give them a shot. But as not a huge fan of Golden's paints for a couple of reasons if Finity wins on price then I'd have no hesitation in recommending them.

BTW, as far as the primaries thing goes, that can be very different things to different people. And it's only worth comparing like with like if you want worthwhile info - Quinacridone Magenta from the top brand won't stand against Cadmium Red Medium from a lower brand in certain ways because they're just very different pigments.

Time to start painting! What really matters is what you think of a paint, not someone else - like Beverly I don't really like Liquitex's tube paints much but obviously they have loads of very satisfied customers who paint very well with them. Different strokes for different folks.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 06:59 AM

Hails from United States

Reason I ask others thoughts, is to help point out certain issues or concerns I may not pick up on.

Im the type, no matter what it is, Ill make whats in front of me work for what it is Im trying to do, and unless an easier way jumps out and smacks me, I wont realize it, cause Im more concerned with making something happen. This is especially true when I paint, I usually drift off into never never land thinking about past experiences or lord knows what, next thing ya know, Im done painting.

I mentioned that Id like to keep the primary colors in a short range. Ultramarine blue across the board, then as far as yellow and red, I was looking at cad's, hanzas or napthol...thats only five pigments, if you include the light, med, hues into each group. I knew some folks would try and turn the discussion of pigment into an impossibility so I tried to make it more specific...we can do this.

All Iv determined so far is the finity seems to be alot like the golden, just a little thinner...reminds me of the DR but a little more intense color. Part of me says, wow, the finity is almost half the price of golden and has a very simillar end result, then another part of me, just doesnt like it, and I dont know why. Maybe its the marketing.

Last edited by JWT : 06-06-2008 at 07:14 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Unfortunately, or in my case fortunately, the personal experience is different and you cannot objectify something that is almost purely subjective. If it feels good to you, then by all means paint. If it doesn't, stop beating your head against a wall and find another route.

You won't find the answers by the experiences of others, you only find their experiences. You need to experience these things for yourself.

Somestimes picking up a brush and using it has all the necessary answers.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi,

Well I've tried Infinity and Golden, of these two prefer the Infinity.
I'm not all that impressed with Golden paints. I recently went in search of new paints use to use Grumbacher Finest when I first started painting and liked them. And a bunch of others, think I've tried over the years just about everything.

Bought Old Holland Classic Acrylics, Maimeri and Matisse Structure and ran out of money.. but seriously want to try the M.Graham. Liquitex has never been a favorite, had to laugh at another's comment, that was my issue as well only didn't describe it so nicely. Old Holland becoming my new favorite but definitely need to get the colors and names down pat, I've had some surprises when I opened them. Good pigment, nice texture and handle beautifully.

I'm interested in the response about M.Graham may prompt me to just go ahead and get a few tubes, found them at 40% off which is a plus.

Overall I agree what works for you is what you use, each has their own
preferences in just about everything, yes?

Elaine
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylbrush
Unfortunately, or in my case fortunately, the personal experience is different and you cannot objectify something that is almost purely subjective. If it feels good to you, then by all means paint. If it doesn't, stop beating your head against a wall and find another route.

You won't find the answers by the experiences of others, you only find their experiences. You need to experience these things for yourself.

Somestimes picking up a brush and using it has all the necessary answers.

I would hope an experienced user such as yourself would have developed an opinion.

Im simply asking for such experienced users to throw out their opinion, nothing less, nothing more, maybe a reasoning as to their opinion.

If an experienced user feels they cant express why they choose one brand or one brands product over another, thats fine, they would probably choose not to respond to the thread, as they couldnt.

Would like to again stress. Im just interested in ult blue across the board, feel free to discuss the yellow and reds in terms of cads/hansa/naphthol..I understand there can be med/hue/light variations of each, but Im also confident that the experienced user would have a preference to each and a reasoning.

If the answer is too complex, based on an experienced users specific needs for various themed artwork, thats understandable, Im sure this user would again, choose not to respond to this thread, as they couldnt or maybe time/interest doesnt allow.

This isnt so much a thread about me developing an opinion, based on what others think, as its a thread intended to make me aware of how others see things, as I become more familliar with certain paint, brand/products, I will be able to take common themed opinion(s) and see if I agree or disagree, I will develop my own opinion. Its not a matter of obtaining and trying varioius product anymore, I put forth the effort to obtain and to use, and have done just that.

Take a deep breathe, relax, this is a happy thread, where opinions can run free........

I understand what Einion and yourself are trying to say and it really applied with my first line of questions when I first arrived here, this is a whole other animal now...just looking for peoples two cents. I seem to have lost all interest in art, which happens more often than not, so I attempted to start a "fun" thread to pass time, once something sparks motivation in me and I go to put paint on canvas again, I will go back in my hole and create...and use the available product I have, whether anyone else likes it or not....

Last edited by JWT : 06-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Metropolis

Hails from United States

while on topic- any one heard of martin f. weber--- any success. is it student or artist grade??

My Portfolio:JOYFUL ART
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Tucson, AZ

Hails from United States

Einion and Noodle,

Could you explain why you don't like Golden's paints?

Theo
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Hails from United States

I've used all three brands. I prefer W&N Finity because they have the range of colors I like, are highly pigmented and, most importantly, they are the cheapest. I think that Golden is probably as good. Graham acrylics are highly saturated and break down more easily than the Finity paints, but I prefer Finity for the color choices. In summary, they are all excellent.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 AM

I would go with Golden for the reason they have published Munsell's code for their colors. I have W & N colors and wanted to Munsell's code but their support could not provide it.

Ramesh
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Maine

Hails from United States

Why not liquitex heavy body its a good paint and the price is right expecially the 32 oz containers.