WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Western Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Liquitex pouring medium experiences?

Great post! This is my first post but I've been reading and searching your forums for some time now, so I want to thank you for all that I've learned from you wonderful artists.

I am planning to use the pouring medium for a WIP I'm doing, but the acrylics I had planned to use are heavy body. can anyone tell me the ratio of pouring medium to paint using heavy bodied paint? Should I thin the paint with water before I mix it with the pouring medium? For those of you that play with the pouring medium, do you generally use liquid or soft body paint? I watched the video on the Liquitex site but the just showed how to use the medium with the soft body paint.

Worst case scenario I could buy some liquid acrylics but it would be nice to use what I've already purchased.

Thanks in advance for your help! Janet
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Ontario, California

Hails from United States

Wombat3923 - Brushmarks with Pouring Medium? You must be using a very thin layer then, and a very coarse brush, than soft? If enough Pouring Medium is used, it should level out, as is it's nature. I will have to try my nail polish remover pads then. It seems to come off in the shower/tub when relaxing for awhile, and just scraping it off with my fingers, but takes work. I haven't tried using gloves yet.

ohjanet - Welcome, and I would maybe let the Pouring Medium dilute the thick paint, not let water dilute it. You could mix a little of the two in a salsa cup to get it liquidy, then add it to the intended Pouring Medium mixture, or just add your thick paint color and mix forever. I think that is the idea of acrylics being liquid for the PM, as it mixes better. If thicker, it will just take longer to mix, is what I'm thinking.

The way the New Acrylic book describes it is to do a mixture, pour and make a test and if too thinned out, add more paint color. If too thick or if it crazes, add more Pouring Medium. I think they said that. The Liquitex Directions say to use 1 Tablespoon of paint with 1 Cup of Pouring Medium.

I have been dreading crazing happening with my tests, yet I pour maybe a teaspoon of paint color into almost a whole 8 ounce bottle, and get only flexible results. I think someone said crazing occured when adding more color than should be, whatever that amount is. Ah, because that paint then dilutes the flexibility of the PM, now that I think about it.

Also, I mixed a very dark blue, wishing I didn't quite yet for it being too dark, and think I didn't mix enough paint in there, so it ended up making this lighter blue that I wanted to begin with, so it worked out.

I have been doing a lot of testing and finding out so many things. Here is an example I just did wanting to see the contrast between Thick and Poured paint I wanted to experiment with. I wanted to see if the PM would draw the color out of the Thick paint and mix with the PM when mixed next to each other, wet with wet, but it didn't mix on it's own. The thick paint was too thick. Very cool. That means there is a paint thick enough to hold solid, and the PM just made swirls within itself, as it does. I think it turned out to be an interesting effect still:

#108   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Western Arizona

Hails from United States

Thanks for the reply, pastelskies,

I tried mixing the HB acrylics with some water before I added it to the pouring medium with not so great results. I put some water and the paint in a small (2oz) pouring bottle I got at Michaels. Once it looked like a good consistancy, I added the pouring medium to the bottle and filled it the rest of the way up. I figured this was roughly 90% pouring medium which is what the recommendations indicated. I shook it like mad and let it set for a day to get the foam/bubbles out, but I found that the paint had all settled to the bottom of the bottle. So that experiment was a bust. I'm just going to buy some liquid acrylics and maybe some acrylic ink (they seem to be cheap compared to the Liquitex and Golden fluid acrylics anyway) and I'll save the heavy body paint for a different project.

Thanks for the input though, I feel like I need some sort of guidance to let myself experiment. I have no idea why that is, but ideas I have on my own don't seem to be as important as what someone suggests here, does that make sense? I have very little contact with other artists, and so I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of. There is only so much you can learn from books, and believe me, I've read a gajillion of them. I think I just need to give myself permission to try and fail, but its easier said than done.

I'll post an update of my next experiment when it happens! Thanks again everyone for all your inspiration : )
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Ontario, California

Hails from United States

Man, long weekend, and trying every day to get back to this thread! That is the same result I have recently found... paint at the bottom of the bottle, but still determined to use it though and rotated it in a swirly way and still have been able to get a nice pour; but thought back to this concern here, and think the paint was too heavy to stay mixed, especially with any glitter paints, where the metal flakes are too heavy and pretty much sink right away.

This is an experiment with using heavy body gel outlines to control the PM better. I think Radiant Jasmin tried this and I got so excited about it. It may actually control too well, meaning be less apt to swirl and mix around... at least on it's own, which allows "you" to do more of the swirling then. I wanted to see how to make controlled shapes and keep the paint from falling off the canvas.

These top 2 are wet purple glitter paint still on the surface:

This is the next morning with glitter missing:

The rest of these below is the piece turned over to reveal the fallen glitter pieces showing through the backside:

What do you guys think? I know what you mean a little about guidance, as I searched like mad for it and found no answers a lot, particularly in regards to setup and what to store all my various mediums in, throughout different threads, that don't seem to concern others much for some reason, but that really plagues me. This thread has had the most help so far, for what has been mentioned. Oh, Wombat3923 thank you for mentioning the nail polish remover, that really helped much better!

As a result, sometimes just experimenting is key, like I'm so glad you have done this as well, and found out stuff because of doing it. I hope to learn from others first if possible, then waste efforts on my own next, but that just getting in there and experimenting, will come up with answers as well. Permission to try and fail seems to be easier than coming up with the money to do all the Pouring Medium right.

There's still many squeeze bottles I need to get. For some reason I put immense focus on all the fun ideas to try, than things holding me back, or even inaction, and make lists of ideas, so as not to lose any fun. The action part always seems to bring 3 more ideas when trying at least one, because you find out what works and what doesn't work, and unplanned things show up that actually turn out cool, which open up yet more new ideas.

Yes! I want to see what experiment you come up with, and even the process!
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Ontario, California

Hails from United States

Help! Should I cover this 3-D abstract painting in Pouring Medium or not?

To Do it:
1. Would stablize the 3-D objects more, especially filling in under the thin leaves
2. Would look cool to see depth from a sea of Gel as well as from the sides
3. Is something I've never tried before & like to see how experiments turn out

To Not do it:
1. I couldn't say this painting was done with pure palette knife then (even the transparent leaves with another layering technique was done with palette knife)
2. The 3-D objects look more amazing not held up by Gel & being able to touch to believe they are actually hovering over the painting
3. Avoid pain from a lot of work setting up a 4-sides mask each with tape to seal PM from getting out, the actual wall that can be peeled off, & then cardboard structure or something to keep the walls straight & even.

Comments please?
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
New England

Hails from United States
Can be used for 'drawing'

See my Leda and the Swan Paintings. I use the clear Golden GAC 800 mixed with a little acrylic color. The Liquitex pouring Medium seems equally effective however the bottle containing the GAC 800 is ideal for controlling the pouring process that I use.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2011, 12:47 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I'm going to give it a go....looks very cool.
I guess if you do a standard acrylic painting and use this as a medium or final coat, you better photograph the painting first or the gloss will drive you nuts with glare eh?
Very nice Mike!!!!
Derek
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
New England

Hails from United States

Pouring medium does not have to be very glossy. In the Golden Range of products, a high gloss may be achieved by using Acrylic Glazing Liquid (Gloss) whereas the pouring medium is GAC-800 (Reduces Crazing).
Mike
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Mike: I have just about every Golden medium. I mean the liquitex which is very glossy.

I still like your work, Derek
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 AM

Does anyone know if you can paint with oil paints over top of this medium and paint once the pouring medium is dry for maybe one week?
Thanks for your help.
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 AM

I forgot to mention that I am going to pour the Liquitex pouring medium on canvas with golden fluid acrylics and liquitex soft body acrylics mixed with water and let it dry for one week then I want to paint details in oil paint on top.
Will this work well?
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Ontario, California

Hails from United States

You should be able to. Often these topcoats and mediums are a good base for oil, providing no dust or grease is on it from sitting. Anything over oils will not work since oils take forever to dry, but the other way around with oils on top should work I think.