WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:29 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Can I ask this? Liquitex vs Golden?

I like the caps on Tri-Art the best. Easy to get on and off and so is Liquitex.But I have a problem with the Liquitex tubes. As some of you may have read in some of the other threads, some people were complaining about the Liquitex paints being stringy etc...this is due to the use of plastic tubes which suck the paint back in when you release your squeez on the tube. This causes there to be an air pocket in the tube which sets up the paint! Not a good method for keeping paint.Aluminum tubes are much better for storage.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 03:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1
I am starting to go with Blick Artist paints (although the line in not as big as some others}.After testing their paints i was supprised at their high quality.....and at a very low price!They worked like any artist quality paint and I think they are the best deal in the industry!

Quote:
What ever colors they dont have I will simply get from one of the other brands.
Good principle in my book.

Quote:
But I have a problem with the Liquitex tubes. As some of you may have read in some of the other threads, some people were complaining about the Liquitex paints being stringy etc...this is due to the use of plastic tubes which suck the paint back in when you release your squeez on the tube. This causes there to be an air pocket in the tube which sets up the paint!.
I've actually experienced this problem with their paint when brand new, so it's not caused only by that

Personally I think plastic tubes are a great idea for acrylic paint, and you can make an effort to exclude air from inside the tube as they empty. If this were oil paint, where oxygen causes the paint to set, this would be a major problem but acrylics dry by drying, and as long as the tube is still airtight it shouldn't matter much - just like the airspace above the paint in a tub or jar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a. ladd
(Dick Blick is certainly inexpensive - probably better than the Utretch Studio line - but I can't help but notice how their 2 oz. Cadmium colors are priced IDENTICAL to their Cadmium HUE colors! Whattzupwiddat?
They're not cadmiums exactly, they're made from cadmium-barium pigment, which is a cheaper option (also used in Grumbacher's acrylics, which should be reflected in their price). Their chroma is slightly lower, but IMO not enough for most people to worry about now that I've had the chance to try it for myself.

If one wants ultra-bright colour, then yes, pay for the true cad reds and yellows.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Hails from United States

Einion.......They dry by drying?!?!?......I couldn't have said it better myself
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Tennessee

Hails from United States

I use what I can afford at the time . I've been using Liquitex Basics for some time now, just because they're a lot cheaper, but am going to upgrade to Liquitex heavy-body tubes ( when I get the money) because the vescosity of the paint is thicker and it's what Jerry Yarnell uses, so if it's good enough for Jerry, it's good enough for me. I haven't tried any of the other brands listed above, but would like to try out Golden and Dick Blick's brand just to see what they do. Like many of you have said, they're all pretty good.

John
www.johnhelmsgallery.com
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

On occasion I like the Golden Fliud Colors for their consistency, but I find the Golden Heavy to be overtouted and overpriced. Their big deal is that they don't add anything to their paints, which basically means that some colors are glossy and some are matte and some are in between. Seems lazy to me. Most manufacturers harmonize their colors so that the artist gets one dependable sheen that they may alter at will. I've also had quite a problem with the Golden cheap caps breaking and scrounging to find a substitute so I don't lose a whole tube of paint.

I prefer the Liquitex Soft Body, formally called Medium Viscosity. It is a great consistency right out of the jar for painting, signs, decorating, mural, and even t-shirts.

The regular Liquitex is good too -- I like the plastic tubes - no leaking. I've never had any problem with pigment load.

I also like the W&N Finity, mostly because the W&N colors are true to their whole line -- An ultramarine acrylic is the same hue as the ultramarine watercolor I've grown used to for years.

Julie
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

Just gonna add my thumbs up to the Blick acrylics, except for the Dioxazine purple. It was very very light in value. Almost as if I took some WN Diox purple and added white to it...not sure what's up with that.

All others are unbelievable nice for the price.

As for the Golden caps, I had a similar problem with Grumbacher water mixable oils. The top was too thin and it split when you screwed it on. They acknowledged it on the Grumbacher forums a while back I think as some sort of manufacturing problem. And as such, unless there is a recall the faulty tubes will be around until they sell out and the newer tubes roll in.

Which could be a awhjile if they made alot of them.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Quote:
As for the Golden caps, I had a similar problem with Grumbacher water mixable oils. The top was too thin and it split when you screwed it on. They acknowledged it on the Grumbacher forums a while back I think as some sort of manufacturing problem. And as such, unless there is a recall the faulty tubes will be around until they sell out and the newer tubes roll in.
Which could be a a whjile if they made alot of them.

I had a brand new Grumbacher oil paint top break off duing a class demo when I screwed it back on it's tube - clearly a manufacturing defect. The old tops were heavy duty and had ridges designed to get pliers around if you had trouble getting them off - much better quality. I think most of what we buy these days aren't made to last very long anyway and the quality of products in general isn't what it used to be 10 or 20 years ago. It's a by-product of living in a "throw-away society". I don't like it at all, but the only thing people can do about it is to boycott that brand until corporations do something about it. -but I don't see that happening either. I've also compared Grumbacher paint and brush prices to Winsor & Newton and G is priced higher.

John
www.johnhelmsgalery.com
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Just to add a little more input.... I've been using Dick Blick Artists for all my recent paintings. The diox. purple is too light, and I'm not real happy with their greens, but the price is great....especially when you get the big tubes (4.65 oz.). The consistancy is very close to Liquitex heavy body, which I just yesterday got some of. Along those lines I just couldn't see spending almost $8.00 for 2oz. of Liquitex HB diox. purple, so I checked it against the Grumbacher academy diox. purp. and the hue, and spreadablity were near identical.... with only a touch difference in coverage. Needless to say for $3.00 (on sale at Michaels) a 3oz. tube of that was the ticket.

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszurblue
Wow, I've never had that happen with Golden's. Lucky I guess. Wondering if anyone has emailed them about this??

I wrote to Golden Paint and received a courteous warm reply from Mark Golden as well as a link to his recent blog posted in response to this thread. Here's the link regarding Golden's lids and how to care for them: http://www.goldenpaints.com/blog/post/index/50/The-lids-off--or-not

Please see that in the blog Mark mentions that Golden will replace the cap and any lost paint due to the cap breaking.

No, I don't work for Golden, I'm a fan of their product.

To sing, to paint, to laugh, to paint, to dream, to paint to celebrate life

Last edited by 2bears : 09-20-2006 at 12:23 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 PM

I use Golden all the way. The paints are pretty equal when you are comparing the artist quality, but the service from Golden is top notch and that is what sold me. I have a relationship via email with one of the technicians at Golden and she has helped me leaps and bounds in my experiments. Imean she has helped me a lot. I have used Liquitex and I do like it, but I still prefer Golden.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
basel switzerland

Hails from Canada

Intresting thread...well I must be an odd ball...but I really dislike Goldens....

I use WN and Lefranc Bouregois - they are my fav...and suit my style of painting very much....and WM are not too expensive..a much better paint for me imo....

FaceBookPage
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintswithdogs
On occasion I like the Golden Fliud Colors for their consistency, but I find the Golden Heavy to be overtouted and overpriced. Their big deal is that they don't add anything to their paints, which basically means that some colors are glossy and some are matte and some are in between.
Oil colors also tend to do that. Retouch varnish will equalize surface gloss during the painting process, and of course the final varnish assures uniformity throughout the painting. Pigments vary all over the place in chemical and physical properties. A matte or gloss medium will do the retouch varnish trick for acrylic paintings. I would rather have the paint without anything extra thrown in, and just learn the properties of the various pigments. Equalizing surface gloss is side-effect of varnishing anyhow, which should be done to any acrylic painting to ensure longevity.

Richard
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Nebraska

Hails from United States

I agree with you, Richard.

Also, the varied sheens of Golden's paints are just one more thing to get creative with - dark against light, warm against cool, and now gloss against matt. I think they are presenting each pigment at its best and it's up to us to "arrange" the sheens creatively on the canvas.