WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Lord of the Arts

TWSBI 1.5 stub pen test sketches

I'm afraid the kind of drawings I like to do are too detailed to show properly on any computer screen but I did want to share with WC. pen folk a very different fountain pen that I got yesterday.
OK. I know it is a great big FAT 1.1mm wide line nib but just like a flat calligraphy pen it has a sharp chisel edge which presented at the correct angle & using a very light pressure can leave a line that is genuinely as thin as a hair PLUS taking into account the angle of the "chisel blade" & the speed you make the line -the most characterful & controlled lines may be made.
Now I'm not saying it is quite as versatile as a dip pen but it nearly is!
More than that though it offers fast dip free drawing & lends itself PERFECTLY to a quick & loose drawing feeling whilst still being capable of great accuracy - I've only done a few practice lines then jumped into this experiment today !
If you already can tease a range of varied lines out of any fountain pen this pen might ? be of interest to you. I've never handled anything like it.
Obviously I fully understand that choice of pen is a entirely personal & subjective matter ,the way it has to be used to perform OK. for drawing is very different from any other pen except a hand cut reed pen perhaps.
This is on an A4 by the way.
Strange thing is I bought this pen to Make bolder drawings but habitually fell into my fine line obsession ! I'm going to have to discipline myself & try some bolder stuff with it next !
Mike
PS. Iv'e just added a detail to get better Idea.

Last edited by pedlars pen : 03-28-2020 at 05:30 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Iowa

Hails from United States
Re: TWSBI 1.5 stub pen test sketches

Wow, Mike! These are beautiful! Definitely intrigued by this! I wonder how it would do on cold press watercolor paper. The sketches certainly are beautiful and the line definitely has some character as you mention! Thank you for sharing!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:25 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel L
.....Definitely intrigued by this! I wonder how it would do on cold press watercolor paper.

Thanks for your kind comments Joel , pleased it is of interest to you
Cold press W/C paper ? Hmm.... Whilst I haven't tried that , having felt the pen doing it's thing I'm pretty sure that it would not do so well at all on that surface, sorry.
It is a smooth enough pen in use but that edge to get the thin lines is quite sharp & thin , I imagine 1. that it would not skate around so freely on a less than hard & smooth surface & 2. The variation in line effect would be a bit compromised & dulled.
Mike
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:00 AM
Lord of the Arts

One more thing to consider before hitting that "BUY NOW" button is that you may ?need to adjust the ink flow to make it drier & use a "drier ink" to if you want to get this variety of line thickness. My pen worked exactly as you see straight out of the box with nothing done to it but there are people on the net who talk of a really gushing flow on this pen.
However these are all old reviews from when it first came out some years ago ,maybe they have fixed the adjustment now OR maybe I was just lucky ?? I don't know.
Basically this is a really easy nib to adjust the flow on see this video - www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=x0pNht6vsfE&feature=emb_lo go
Here is a macro photo of this nib when it is wrong & gushing ink.After doing the adjustment you can see NO slit down the back of the nib,or certainly none in the bottom end near the tip at least.
I'm most likely just being paranoid here ! probably you wont even have to concern yourself with this I know I didn't .
It's just that I feel responsible because I know these were my fears before I pushed that buy now button after internet research.Having said all that this pen is a game changer for me & I love it !
Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 03-29-2020 at 07:28 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

Not sure why you don't post more of your work Mike, that's a great example of what you can do with your fountain pen.

www.artbyshanec.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 02:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India

Mike...Your sketches/lines are beautiful, and with a lot of character.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:02 AM
Lord of the Arts

Thanks for those kind words Shane & yes your right I probably should post more. I suppose I just wish that more people would post more work- then this forum might gather more momentum as it has done at times in the past.
Although I believe that doing art should first & foremost always be about exploring for yourself , communicating the results of that journey with others IS another important aspect of it , I know it has helped me with both motivation & personal artistic growth.
Cheers Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 03-30-2020 at 03:57 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:15 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hey thanks Balaji , I feel that using this pen does add some weight to my lines & that helps , for a good while I've looking for the right pen to do exactly that PLUS let me work faster & looser.
This might be THE one However it is limited in other ways it is definitely not an all rounder for all subjects or styles.
Cheers Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 03-30-2020 at 03:24 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India

I am a compulsive sketcher...the act of sketching gives me great pleasure and if the sketch turns out well it is a bonus. I therefore sketch with whatever is at hand, and sometimes I deliberately experiment with different pens and nibs. Most of the time I have my fountain pen (a $5 Parker which takes ink cartridges) in my pocket which I use to write at work. And I sometimes end up sketching with it.

I am sharing a photo of the nib and a sketch that I made on a coffee room paper napkin.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Lord of the Arts

Love it & the whole attitude behind it
A fine example of the Golden rule of art - just grab the nearest materials to hand & get on with it !
Nice one,
Mike
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:25 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Balaji is simply following in the steps of Masters!!!😉😉.... such a good sketch too!

Mike, I really like this page of detailed explorations ... so many lovely marks, particularly in the tree and the owl.
You have such a profound knowledge of pens ... I had to look up this make ..... I haven't used fountain pens since retiring from work!.... long time ago😉 .... my favourite then was a Schaeffer ... so smooth.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Lord of the Arts

Thanks Maureen,
Quote:
I haven't used fountain pens since retiring from work! .... my favourite then was a Schaeffer ... so smooth.

Yes they used to be very good pens ,vintage ones are still much sought after, alas they are very poor nowadays Fountain pens really are excellent drawing tools & you can find a decent one for a few pounds if you know what sort of line you want & where to look.
Getting back to the school theme - I want a hundred lines of you tomorrow before registration & ALL of them drawn in fountain pen !
Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 03-30-2020 at 01:47 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Iowa

Hails from United States

Hi Mike, Thanks for the info/thoughts on the pen. Always looking for something that enjoys moving on watercolor paper. Balaji has something I may look into.

And, I would agree that seeing your work is very enjoyable! It is beautifully done with a sensitive touch.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2020, 06:56 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Mike...😂😂😂..... Registration is over and I must see if any of the pens I have left still hold ink!....... my task for this afternoon!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**