WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Does this still apply today?

I believe in the past it was considered acceptable to, say, use a wildlife photo in a calendar as reference for artwork as long as it is for your own ‘personal use’. I would guess that meant you were going to hang it in your own home, if you even wanted to display it. Plus the learning experience, of course. Nowadays, and I see this on social media, people will do paintings and sketches from copyrighted wildlife photos and post them on social media, sometimes saying it was just for learning and is not for sale. Sometimes they will say something like ‘copyright infringement not intended’. Does posting it on social media make it more like exhibiting work produced from copyrighted photos? Is it still considered acceptable? To me it ‘feels’ wrong, but I honestly have no idea if it is still ok to do that if you are not selling it.

Sarah Rose
~~~ long time sculptor, short time painter C & C always welcome!
paintings: www.sarahrosepastel.blogspot.com
sculpture: www.rosestudios.blogspot.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2019, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Does this still apply today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Rose
To me it ‘feels’ wrong, but I honestly have no idea if it is still ok to do that if you are not selling it.
If it "feels wrong" to you then imo Don't do it. Why do something that feels wrong just because it's legal?

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

No changes to the law that make it ok, even if technology has changed how easily it can be publicly displayed. Ways to stay safe: Seek permission, keep it private, don't copy so closely it's recognizable as being from the original, and/or take your own reference photos. I've seen varying lawyers' opinions on whether "personal use" is technically legal, or just unlikely to be discovered/objected to by the copyright owner. What often triggers problems is when the artist decides they can't keep the painting to themselves anymore, post it publicly online, and especially if they start using it for gain.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I personally would not publicly share an image I did from a copyrighted photo, but I have seen others do it and it got me thinking about how much times have changed. I do ask and purchase rights, even though the resulting pieces may never be sold and I am not doing prints. It’s just sorta interesting, in the past ‘sharing’ a work from copyrighted reference would have been among friends and family, which does not feel wrong to me, but now ‘sharing’ is a few clicks to show it to potentially thousands of people, and that does feel wrong.

Sarah Rose
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2020, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Some really good suggestions already given.

"Fair use" can be a slippery little devil. Copying a photo by painting it with oils, acrylic, pastels, etc., to improve one's skills could easily be construed as "educational". Selling it might even be permissible (think 'editorials' quoting a new source, etc.).

My personal rule of thumb is, "If I didn't create it, get permission before using it." WC has a great image library of free-to-use photos made by WC members and shared with the groupl

I am not an attorney and do not portray one on the silver screen or internet. For advice on legal issues it is always best to consult a licensed attorney.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

For me, just asking photographers has been fruitful. Lots of them will allow free use, or work meant to sell can be done for a reasonable fee. I always ask if I am planning to share on social media, whether it’s a sales piece or not. Times have changed so much, I think using calendar photos and being able to resist sharing on social media could be pretty tough for many.

Sarah Rose
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2020, 04:39 PM

I've found plenty of public domain photos to work from. A really great place to look is on the National Park Service website. Any photo created by a government employee as a part of their work is automatically in the public domain. So not only are there great photos of parks from all over the US, they'll have wildlife, etc. Sometimes they post personal photos, so check the copyright info. Pixabay is a pretty good source, too.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2020, 05:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Also, depends what you did with the picture... if you photo bashed it in digital art.. then you are in a much deeper issue than if you used a dog picture to check how the fur in a Pug behaves aroung his neck for your own completely different PUG painting.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"