WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Selling old masters copies

I have recently been copying paintings by master painters (Klimt, Van Gogh, Lauren Harris, Tom Tomson) whose copyrights have long expired. It has been a tremendous learning experience. However I am accumulating a number of these paintings and am wondering if there is a market for them. Would love to hear from you if have any suggestions for selling these copies. Thank you

Example: "Woman in Gold"
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Selling old masters copies

There must be a market for them because there are several places, mostly in the Orient (China) where shops full of painters sit and daily turn out dozens of the same paintings. They are sold on websites. These same "art sweatshops" offer low prices to do a painting for you from your photo, or to do an old master painting in any size you'd like. Apparently, they sell a bunch of them or they wouldn't go through the expense of keeping a web site up and running.

Sorry, I can't put my fingers on the site addresses for you. I've visited them and I must say that in my opinion their work ranges from crap to rather good. But I suppose that is mostly a function of the quality of the artist doing the piece, and which one they select to send out.

As for your work, if you have a web site, you might float them out there and see who salutes them. As you mentioned, if nothing else doing them is a great learning experience.

I'm sure that if you do a little web surfing, you can find at least one of these Chinese art sweatshops and see what they offer for sale.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2019, 10:47 AM

Thank you so much for your thoughtful advice. Will take you up on your suggestions.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

By the way, I like the painting your posted. As the old hippies used to say, keep on keepin' on.