WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 12:11 AM

Licensing Fee for my art on a musicians album cover

Hoping someone might be able to give me a ballpark figure I should charge for a pianist to use one of my painting images on her new album. Probably a very small amount. I would be inclined to let her use it free of charge as it's good exposure but since there is likely to be legal paper work I may as well charge something for it. Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Licensing Fee for my art on a musicians album cover

A friend of mine who often does custom work for metal band album covers charges $500-1000, and she is not a famous artist, but she does do a lot of art for metal Tshirts and bands. Also, a friend who is actually in a metal band told me that it is not a cheap date to make a record, so the cost of the album cover is minor compared to the rest of it. So don't be afraid to ask what is proper.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2019, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your response Harold. (BTW I replied to your private message yesterday but I am not sure if it went through or not? Strange reply box) let me know...
500 to 1000 bucks for licensing a painting wow! I don't think that this particular musician will be able to afford that. I think she previously used images from the likes of Shutterstock for her albums
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I did get your message. Thanks!

Re price, you never know until you ask.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Will the artwork be sold/given away or licensed? If sold outright/given away there should be no concerns about legalities because all rights are surrendered to the receiver of the art. If licensed, the paperwork can be a bit more complex, but is probably

If inclined to provide the image for free - why not do it? Concerns over paperwork, legal or otherwise, should hold no sway over the decision concerning price. If there's a block for the price, just enter $0.00 - for sale or licensing.

Here's a link to an explanation of what might be included in an agreement with the musician.

Read and understand any contracts. If there are any doubts discuss it with a licensed attorney. $100 spent today could save (or make!) thousands later.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

"If sold outright/given away there should be no concerns about legalities because all rights are surrendered to the receiver of the art."

I don't think this is true in the US. The artist always hold copyright to their work, is my understanding, unless it is licensed, and then various rights can be sold.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
"If sold outright/given away there should be no concerns about legalities because all rights are surrendered to the receiver of the art."

I don't think this is true in the US. The artist always hold copyright to their work, is my understanding, unless it is licensed, and then various rights can be sold.

Maybe not so much. In the US copyrights can be held by the creator, by an employer of the creator (Disney is an example of this - it pays their artists salaries and keeps all copyrights), or the rights can be purchased along with the art, or the artist can give them away. Point being an artist can do what he/she wants except when creating the piece as a condition of employment or other contractual obligation (commissions in which the artist agrees to transfer all rights to the buyer come to mind).

But, I see the point concerning the statement - I could have, and should have, said it much better (and lengthier ). After reflection and rereading the original post, though, I don't see any legal impediments restricting what OP does with the artwork, in any manner he wants and for any price he wants, to the musician as long as he holds the copyrights.

Read and understand any contracts. If there are any doubts discuss it with a licensed attorney. $100 spent today could save (or make!) thousands later.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast
Savannah, GA

Hails from United States

The last musician who wanted an image of one of my paintings for use on their album, I told them if they buy the painting I'll give them rights to use the image of it and they were thrilled.
In the past, other bands have used my images with permission from me-make sure to get credit and your website printed inside the cover as a requirement. These were all poor broke musicians though. There are so many royalty free images for use out there that if there's no budget for extras they'll just use a free image instead of one of yours.
If I made a living as a graphic artist though, I'd probably have a different view, and would charge a decent rate. Just my take
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:20 AM

Thank you Mike L. and kasunart for your feedback... Finally I HAVE agreed to let the musician use my image freely. If I was a very big name in the art world things may be different but I would prefer to have the exposure that will come with her album though I think she may still want to pay me something (small) out of respect
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2019, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

You still would had the exposure if you charged a licensing fee, were you afraid the musician would turn you down if you asked for payment?

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyoung
Thank you Mike L. and kasunart for your feedback... Finally I HAVE agreed to let the musician use my image freely. If I was a very big name in the art world things may be different but I would prefer to have the exposure that will come with her album though I think she may still want to pay me something (small) out of respect

Its alright to give the first person who uses your work for the first time a small free sample to get that nibble but next time a regular fee is wise and fair for your sake. After all you have to eat and pay for those art tools and materials.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 PM

It depends on the nature of the relationship and the position of both you and the artist, namely if the album is going to go platinum or its a small DIY indie release. Certainly with a substantial profit, the artist can afford a fee.
If you are just starting out, or building clients, it is still worth at first on pro bono, for exposure, and you be properly credited.
I work on both ends of musician and graphic arts, so building relationships at first is priority, especially to work with musicians who are on the same vibe. The result is a partnership in which both parties collabrate and have relations that in the best cases develop into friendships in which the business side is easily agreed upon.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:25 AM

Thanks tactile. thanks for your input, I think our relationship is not in the big bucks zone. It is a small indie album, she did in the end voluntarily pay me a smallish sum for the image. A link here to a 3d mock-up of the album
https://www.discmakers.com/MyAccount... .Xi1nVC2ZON9
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

That's a nice little image for an album cover. Nice of you to give it for free, but the advice about stipulating in writing that you get credit on the album, etc. is good too. No reason you shouldn't staple down your future potential with that. You could have also stipulated that the rights were only for the album cover and not for other uses. Who knows. That artist and your image by association might end up being spread around in other media someday.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 05:08 AM

Thanks for your concern Bartc... yes she did write out a very simple document stipulating that the image would only be used in connection with this one album. The album also gives me credit for the image in large letters.