WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2019, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: How much is my skill alone worth per hour?

OK, now I'm really depressed!

Went to one of my local museums, which also houses a set of artist studios. High quality work there from the resident artists and in the exhibits. Decided to drop in on a sale/show they were having, just to scope out more of the art market.

Much to my surprise and dismay, there was a gallery full of high quality pieces, mostly larger than I paint, mostly beautifully framed ---- AND at ridiculously LOW prices!

Much of the work was repriced down to $100 - 300, and to be honest, the framing would have eaten up more than half the cost of each piece. When I queried the docent about the very low pricing, she said it was because these were left over from recent shows and hadn't sold. I can only assume the artists didn't want to pay to ship them home. Nothing else would justify almost giving them away!

At that point I started to question why I would ever want to go from "amateur" to "pro", if they have to almost give them away anyway....
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
That sounds like it was a fun competition, even if not much sold.
Harold, if you're referring to my comment about the group show, it wasn't a competition.

The gallery manager is a friend, who knew that I run a plein air group. She was interested in having a show that was based on a historical set of events in our area. She and I and a couple of others arranged the series at venues in her town related to the history bringing in about 40+ artists from 4 different groups. It was a very interesting concept, challenging in the best way more for the scheduling issues, and in one spot for having to coordinate with a federal park agency.

But most interesting was the juried show that resulted. How often do you get to see in one show the creative vision of so many artists on the same subjects, and get to hear from the artists themselves what they were trying to accomplish?

Lots of fun.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartc
Much of the work was repriced down to $100 - 300, and to be honest, the framing would have eaten up more than half the cost of each piece. When I queried the docent about the very low pricing, she said it was because these were left over from recent shows and hadn't sold. I can only assume the artists didn't want to pay to ship them home. Nothing else would justify almost giving them away!

At that point I started to question why I would ever want to go from "amateur" to "pro", if they have to almost give them away anyway....
Maybe this was the kind where people had to drop the paintings off in person. Because all the calls I have responded to have insisted that any art that was accepted had to include a return shipping label unless it was local.

Selling anything is tough. I think for most artists, selling eats up more hours than making art. It's just our world.