WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States
Re: Our art inspiration

Fascinating Raj! Thanks for sharing. I love seeing your beautiful paintings depicting Nepal culture and lifestyle. Very unique and refreshing.

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richallanbass/
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hails from Russian Federation

Raj, I was looking forward to hear your story. I was sure you'd been actively painting for at least several years! But you only picked it up again in 2017... that says a lot about your talent which started growing back in your childhood and youth

I enjoyed reading your story and loved your old works! I admire the subjects of your paintings - you seem to always choose something special

I understand you about willing to draw with something more like a crayon - I'm the same way I also tried watercolors for a very short while, but only when I picked up oil pastels I felt really satisfied with the medium

Hope you will continue enjoy painting and share your works here ^__^
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 PM
WC! Guide
Texas

Hails from United States

So nice to see you again Terri - thank you for your nice comments, it means a lot. It's good to be back, even if it is on and off - for me it's been a real joy to see what has been going on with the forum. Amazing group of supportive folks/artists who enjoy the creative process - that's why Wetcanvas is so special.

I'm going to try to paint something in oil pastels this year ~ I haven't done it in so long, that it will probably take some getting use too again.

Raj, wonderful to read your story and to learn about your inspirations, especially the village. You have some wonderful art that depicts life - the portraits are beautiful.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

This is most certainly becoming a fascinating thread!

I realize that i forgot to thank Mira and Terri for commenting on my little history of art

Just to be clear, it wasn't that anyone tried to expose me to art when I was very young - we weren't that kind of family. With the exception of my mom's purchase of the cardboard Monet print at the grocery store, it was mostly through random exposure to reproductions in public places that I stumbled upon favorites that came back to haunt me (in a good way) as I learned about the artists later in life. It felt very intimate and special to discover much later that, for instance, the big print that I had marveled at as a four year-old in a hospital waiting room was, in fact, by a Swiss/German fellow named Paul Klee

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank

Last edited by laika : 02-20-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: clarity
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Williamsburg

Hails from United States

Thank you all for reading my story and your kind support.

Raj
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast
Berlin, the Capital of Germany

Hails from Germany

After having read through the thread I just want to add some information about me: I loved to draw when I was young, but unfortunately art lessons at school were not very supportive, so I stopped drawing. Regarding painting I left school thinking that "colour was not my thing" - I always thought I could not do it.
In 2007 my husband died and suddenly I had a lot of time to spend. I began to do art, encouraged by some dear friends, first working with coloured pencils, then watermedia, then acrylics, then markers. I did a bit of oil pastels too, but did not get along with them very well, so I returned to other mediums. Only a short time ago I picked my ops up again and I am now deeply enjoying them.
I love colours now, and I love to tell stories with my paintings. I began to print out some of my paintings on greeting cards and sell them online and to friends and colleagues at work.
My style: I think some of it could best be described as surrealism.
I hope it is okay to link to my German blog - I try to post on a regular schedule there.
https://ullahennig.blogspot.com/
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
You have beautiful photos on your blog.
I enjoyed seeing your art work in markers and cp. Making greeting cards is a great idea.
So glad to hear you are enjoying op's now as it does tend to become a part of you.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Ulla - I enjoyed looking at your art work on your blog. I'm happy you linked it for us! I love Surrealism. Your purple crab made me laugh!

So glad you shared your story with us. Happy to know the OP's are working for you again!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
All around the world!

Oh man! There were many times as I read through this thread that I became teary eyed. Thank you everyone for being so radically vulnerable with your stories <3 I hope each and every one of you continues to pursue art, in whatever medium. I truly think art saves lives.

This is possibly my favorite thread I've read no WC. Thank you Christel for opening such a fascinating and touching subject!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

What a great thread.

My story is a long and winding road. Without non-artistic primary school teachers covering all types of creativity activity I would not have had any exposure to The Arts at all - except some colour by numbers, colouring books and how to draw animals books I snagged as Xmas presents. Makes me think others saw what I was unaware of!

I was sports crazy. One of my coaches started giving me her sons old university texts, art and history were my favourites. It wasn't until I was diagnosed with Lupus and several other auto-immune diseases in 1992 (after 10 years of slow decline) that I thought art could be a godd recreation activity. Two summer schools at the local university -UWA, and a book Drawing with the right side of your brain later, painting was a compulsive habit.

When my father saw some of my work he very casually said, You know your Grandad was an art? As it happens, he was a professional portrait artist, until the gold rush grabbed him. And an Aunt travelled to Paris, from Perth West Aust, in the 1950s to study art. Sadly there was a family divide and I didn't see her after 1960.

I enjoyed watercolour, and was artist in residence for a private college preparing students for university entry. As the medications began to work, art took a back seat and I regained the ability to follow my career - teaching and department head in Computing Studies, and managing IT networks. At the same time. The bonus for me was I could teach Spreadskills through art based activities, introduce digital design and photo editing without jumping too many hoops. I think I was speaking a foreign language to them, so the answer was always OK, if you think it's a good idea I was very lucky.

In 2004 after a promotion that required moving to a remote coastal town, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Disease. I didn't manage to get it under control until 2012. Three years after I has retired to a small farm about 8000km from Perth.

One fateful day, I stomped into an art supply shop to buy some very bright liquid acrylic paints (I am still friends with this lovely lady) when I noticed an advert for an acrylic Worksop run by a well known Brisbane artist. The short story I went, I was hopeless, and I was hooked. Again.

Many workshops, and weekly painting sessions and I became president of the not-for-profit group. My work was different from everyone else's but I kept trying to create fine art. Three events changed my perspective. One, an online MoMA NY in American AbEx. I was hooked and home. Two, a Qld gallery QAGOMA/GOMA had a Gerhard Richter and Yayoi Kusama combined exhibition. It changed me. Third, I discovered Art Le Brut, a place that accepted my art. This is when I got serious about painting and drawing everyday.

There's been lots of learning ... acrylics without a paintbrush. My hands determined that, but I don't think I would have mastered brush anyway. Inks, with nibs, an old interest revived. Just for fun. Then I rediscovered Wetcanvas, and eventually the OP forum. While I create using many mediums and tools, I Love OPs.

This is me today ... preparing a proposal for an art exhibition in a very well respected Brisbane gallery. No chance I'll be chosen to exhibit, even though I was asked. However, it has been the perfect time for some reflection.

Hope it wasn't too hard getting here. Thanks for reading.

"Art from the heart. That's what I do."
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 03:32 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

I'm happy for you that you got 'hooked' on art again. It's always interesting in what ways art can be utilized in our every day work. Thanks for sharing, Jennie!
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Jennie, I agree that your art journey has been a long and winding road! It sounds like different types of art have come in and out of your life over the years. It's fascinating to read how people come to art (or art comes to them), and how you finally picked up your first oil pastels.

You know I'm a big fan of your work. Good luck with the exhibition proposal - it could be challenging but very fun. Thank you for sharing your story!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriks
Jennie, I agree that your art journey has been a long and winding road! It sounds like different types of art have come in and out of your life over the years. It's fascinating to read how people come to art (or art comes to them), and how you finally picked up your first oil pastels.

You know I'm a big fan of your work. Good luck with the exhibition proposal - it could be challenging but very fun. Thank you for sharing your story!

Many thanks Terri, I really value your support and comments. Its a pity confidence doesn't grow on trees

This thread is wonderful, so many interesting stories. Hope it keeps growing.

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Agnes Water, Qld

Hails from Australia

Me too Christel. I think I worked really hard to ignore the obvious ... I love creating art works!