WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hails from Russian Federation
Re: Our art inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika
Arrrg! I just lost my fourth autobiography of young Lamar's early exposures to art! I hate phones!

That's too bad, I would love to read your art autobiography
I also have this problem with phones sometimes, so I usually write my longer texts in "Notes" on my phone, I think most phones got this option. I save the new note and copy past it later

Lamar, my father and a friend of mine also have serious problems with the wye sight, mostly it's about blurry vision (the eyes have a hard time focusing) and I can imagine what it is like. Still, they've learned to live with it so far and manage to do what they like to some extent. I wish you to make the most of it and enjoy your art making!

Very cool cyanotype photo, by the way
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by raizes
Mira - Thanks so much for your compliment. I do appreciate that and very pleased to hear how my artwork translates. It's very nice and I feel very inspired by it, not only from you but everyone else here and on Instagram. I very much enjoy your activity here and you're drawing skills are very good. That platter with the cake, coffee and brick wall was well done. Don't worry about style or what that is to you. It takes time and a lot of drawings/paintings to figure that out.

Thank you, Rich!
So what about your great grandfather, is he that famous Juan Francisco Gonzales Escobar and Escobar is a different one?
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Oh, by the way, there is one more important goal I have: learning to pick up the important details instead of putting the whole picture with all the small details in the painting. It's especially a problem when I paint from a photo reference. I need to develop an artistic vision for that!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira88
Thank you, Rich!
So what about your great grandfather, is he that famous Juan Francisco Gonzales Escobar and Escobar is a different one?

That's him Juan Francisco Gonzalez Escobar. Here is wikipedia link -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Francisco_González

So he is my grandfather's grandfather on my mother's side. My grandfather remembers visiting him and even sitting on his lap..

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richallanbass/
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Quote:
That's him Juan Francisco Gonzalez Escobar. Here is wikipedia link -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Francisco_González

So he is my grandfather's grandfather on my mother's side. My grandfather remembers visiting him and even sitting on his lap..

It's very cool to have such a great ancestor! I bet he would be proud of you
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Quote:

This is so cool! What an interesting and fun relative to have had in your family tree.

Quote:
As a master, González used to tell his students that to be a good painter, “first you must learn to observe and get excited about the colours and forms of nature, regardless of whether the picture and its details are accurate reflection of reality or not.”

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Thanks! There's a lot about him and his life I know from stories my mom has told. She was told from her Dad and other relatives. He was a very passionate man, and I'm super lucky to have an original. It' s nearly 100 years old. That quote he's says is interesting and reminds me of something Monet said "To see we must forget the name of the thing we're looking at". I get what they're both saying.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Scotland

Hails from United States

I've always been artistic. But it was when my mom fell ill, in 2012 and becoming her caretaker, that I really began painting and drawing as a therapeutic expression of the emotions I was dealing with.
Now that she is passed away and my son started school this year, I am able to devote more time to my art.
I hope to create more works in 2019, also to enjoy the process more and not get so wrapped up in the end result.
I also aspire to improve my drawing skills, shading and perspective.
I love the challenge of capturing emotion in a painting. Portraits tend to be my favorite to work on and yet I do them the least. lol
As for artists I like, I lean toward more Fauvism/impressionistic: John Duncan Fergusson, Paul Cezanne, Alice Neel, Alice Bailly, Andrew Wyeth...
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

So sorry to hear of your Mom's passing
Looking forward to seeing more of your work and hearing about your adventures in painting.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Amasacross, Sorry to hear about your Mom. I really enjoy your work and hope you can post more here.

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Thank you for sharing your story, Amasacross. We are hearing from several of us how therapeutic our art can be. My condolences on the loss of your mother.

I look forward to seeing more of your work, as time allows you to paint.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Quote:
Thanks! There's a lot about him and his life I know from stories my mom has told. She was told from her Dad and other relatives. He was a very passionate man, and I'm super lucky to have an original. It' s nearly 100 years old. That quote he's says is interesting and reminds me of something Monet said "To see we must forget the name of the thing we're looking at". I get what they're both saying.

Great luck indeed! I wonder what's on this painting - a landscape, a portrait, a still life?.. Maybe you'll even show it to us in one of your live sessions on instagram

Hopefully you'll tell your kids and grandkids about him and this legacy will live on

Offtopic: yeah, many people use their instagram live sessions to later upload on Youtube because often there are important questions covered and it'd be a shame to lose this valuable info just 24 hours later.
Though I am not sure how this is done - maybe instagram and Youtube are connected and you can upload the video directly; maybe you have to save the video from instagram first before it has disappeared... you'll probably have to google the answer
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

amasacross, looking forward to seeing your talent here often! I've seen a few paintings of yours, they are great!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira88
That's too bad, I would love to read your art autobiography
I also have this problem with phones sometimes, so I usually write my longer texts in "Notes" on my phone, I think most phones got this option. I save the new note and copy past it later

Thank you, Mira88, that's excellent advice! I have begun to slow myself down and open a text editor app on my phone and copying and pasting from there. It's so frustrating to lose a long comment!

When I was a little child, I was exposed to prints of the works of Marc Chagall, Paul Klee, Joan Miro, Georgio di Chirico - even a George Grosz - in the offices of doctors, in a public library, on book covers, et cetera. My mom brought home a small print of Monet's Regatta at Argenteuil from the Atlantic And Pacific grocery store to hang in my room. These are my earliest memories of art that captured my imagination and stood out in my memory.

I loved to draw characters from my imagination pretty early on. In school I had a friend who also drew and we would exchange our pictures that celebrated our childish adventures and caricatured our teachers Later, in high school, I took an art class, but I had trouble acquiring instruction in a structured way. Despite that, I did take away some good experience handling different media, and managed to learn a little about color mixing and such.

As an adult, I had a few classes with a Russian lady who me taught me a lot in a very formal way in a just a few classes. And my reading as an adult reacquainted me with the artists who had so intrigued me in my very limited exposures to art as a child. So, in full circle, what most resonates with me is post-Impressionism and Expressionism. Art from the 1890s through WWI haunts me in a way, because it feels very familiar, I suppose on account of its impact on my imagination when I so young.

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Wow, Lamar - you were introduced to some wonderful art at very impressionable age. You're lucky to have had any kind of formal training as an adult, however brief. It's nice that you've been able to identify the type of art that inspires you the most. Thank you for sharing your story!