WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Richmond VA

Hails from United States
Re: 1340art magazine, possible scam?

Am late to this thread but was approach through IG. Glad I found this. My suspicion was IG last post was August 2017 and it's April 2018?? Not so current. Thanks
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2018, 05:59 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
Please don't feel bad about this, thirtynine. I too entered a bunch of competitions and got rejected and decided that it was not worth my money to keep doing it. I felt like geez, is my art really that bad??? At the time I didn't realize that various galleries run these things as a way to just make money and have no intention of every displaying 99% of the entries. Yes, there are legit ones, but I decided I should spend my time working on my own site and spend the money I would have spent on competitions on art supplies instead. You are not at all alone.
Another great tip. Thanks again Harold.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast
Portland, OR

Yeah I got one of those comment on IQ as well. They say we will feature your work (free). So I was intrigued and submitted an image. Then they say for $30 I can submit 4 pieces. I was wary - and now I know I'm not going to do it.

A woman followed up and reminded about the deadline to submit.

Glad I saw this post
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I noted above that in the past I entered a bunch of competitions and didn't get in and found out later it was one way for some unscrupulous galleries to raise money. I said I gave up on competitions. But I decided to give them another try this year, focusing on more local or regional stuff. That is working a bit better. So far I have gotten into half that I've entered. I haven't sold anything yet, but I have learned a good bit about what is expected of me and what I am up against. It can be really difficult to tell the scams from the real deals, though. I am mostly sticking to regional organizations rather than gallery-run stuff for that reason.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2018, 08:19 PM

So glad for this thread. I just began posting on instagram and so was happy to see a comment on one of the first pics I put up. I came to this site right away and sure enough, my spidey sense served me correctly. Thanks to all the people who have shared about this. Digital bandits are the worst!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I think in addition to probably being an art scam, it is probably also some sort of multi-level marketing scam. I've had numerous approaches from different people. It's possible of course they are all really the same person, but I suspect that some people out there, less suspicious than I am, have been lured into paying not to show, but to try and snag unsuspecting artists on the back of a supposed 'commission' on sales.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2019, 06:06 AM

There is some research about this 1340art magazine I'd like to share this with you people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams

Maybe it provides more answers.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2019, 06:07 AM

I adore your material about photography, it is always so useful to me.