WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Re: 1340art magazine, possible scam?

Hi !

I can now tell with 95% probability that 1340 art is a scam - don't pay money for attending into their odd competitions.

Currently at address of 1340 art in Netherlands is actually located Amsterdam Art, which has nothing to do with 1340 art.

See full mail query below how I have find this out.

To: Otentic Perfumes Amsterdam <info-at-otenticperfumes.nl>
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: Can you help me with identifying place next to you (Keizersgracht 241) ?

Hi !

I've quickly googled, and indeed at that address is located "Amsterdam Art", according to url: http://www.amsterdamart.com/venue/grimm

But not 1340 art magazine. So 1340 art is indeed scam them - doubt that two different art houses can be located at the same address.

Thank you for help, I'll try to block 1340 art magazine from facebook if possible.

-- Have a nice day!
Tarmo.

From: Otentic Perfumes Amsterdam <info-at-otenticperfumes.nl>
To: Tarmo P <tapika-at-yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: Can you help me with identifying place next to you (Keizersgracht 241) ?

Good afternoon Tarmo,

Today I work in our shop at Schiphol airport but one of the colleques went to the adress and there is a company...indeed something with art.
It was closed but the sigs said something about Art, Amsterdam Art or something.
We can try to find out tomorrow when the building will be open if you want..

Hope it was helpfull, good luck with it and have a nice evening!

Met vriendelijke groet,

Marie-José Keur
Storemanager

Otentic Perfumes Amsterdam
Keizersgracht 233
1016EA Amsterdam
W: www.otenticperfumes.com
T: +31 20 320 8225
M: ***mobile number hidden just to avoid spam***

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Date: 17-12-2017 13:21
Subject: Can you help me with identifying place next to you (Keizersgracht 241) ?

Hi !

You don't know me, and this does not relates to products, which you're selling, but I would like to ask you a little favor, and if possible can you read this mail
until end.

I have daughter and he is good at drawing and recently she was contacted by some "1340 art" magazine, and proposed to enter some sort of
competition, where if chosen - they would publish their art work.

1340 art (http://1340art.com/) looks like some official magazine, which can actually exists, and maybe even something what is sold, but I suspect that it's a scam
- mainly because they are asking 20-30$ for entering drawing selection competition - and from my perspective that competition could be arranged for free as well.

Reason why I'm contacting you on this matter - is because I have tried to check where that 1340 art magazine is located, and according to google maps both of
their offices are located at such places in Netherlands and Italy , where you cannot check location by google maps - those streets are not accessible by car.

Art 1340 office in Netherlands is located at:
1340Gallery (HQ)
Keizersgracht 241
1016 EA Amsterdam
The Netherlands

meanwhile your shop location is quite nearby:
OTENTIC AMSTERDAM
Keizersgracht 233,
1016EA Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Is it possible for someone from your shop quickly walk through address next to you and check if 1340 art magazine actually exists at that particular location ?

You will help not only me, but also other people, who thinks this is official and real magazine and try to pay money for nothing.

-- Have a nice day!
Tarmo.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2017, 08:48 AM

Hi together.
So, i got two invitations to these 1340art gallery and had 2,3 follower from there. Before I read the thread here, I was sceptical with it, too. Dutch, Italian sounds not really green for me. But and this is the main reason, the site design, and the promoted artwork, is in a look and feel, for my experience not professional, means seriouse. Would be interesting if there is anybody who is still working with the guys. Nevertheless I would never pay for it. But the site design, typo everything is easy made, u know what i mean just to be online.... imam curious what will happen. Any result with the neighborhood view on it?
xap.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Potentially, get in touch with real galleries in Amsterdam. They would know what kind of "actors" are in the nearby art scenes. They would know if art houses went out of business, moved, have left brick-and-mortar and are only selling through an art contest magazine. They may even have a copy of the magazine. (When I was at a gallery before, they always had subscriptions of relevant magazines).

Many businesses have closed brick-and-mortar stores and have gone online-- lower overhead. That would not be a mark of "shiftyness."
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 04:00 AM

My Oppinion, too.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 07:29 PM

Hi, Just got one of these on my Instagram account.I read their rules and regulations and they ask for a fee as an entrance to their competition. you “keep” your copyright but allow them to sublicense your work.essentially this gives them the right to sell rights for a particular use to a third party. A weird way of giving them your copyright?? Also, any disputes follows the law from the Netherlands. Sounds like they don’t have any advertising money...
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM

I just had this as well, a comment on instagram saying it was their job to find artists and go to their website if I was interested - I thought it sounded suss straight away. Usually if someone wants to share your work on instagram they will just repost it. You shouldn't have to go to a website to submit let alone pay any money. So many scammers out there now, it's very frustrating.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Kathryn and Rachel, artists are taken advantage of. Take the return mailing address and ask them for whatever evidence you can get. No legitimate business will evade giving you legitimate evidence.

If you are a new or beginning artist, you should expect scam artists.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Glad I saw this too. I'm always very wary anyway but as soon as they asked for $20 or $30 (non refundable), so they can get a better idea of my work before selecting sounds like nonsense. They found me on instagram after all. I'm not paying $30 for a maybe when i haven't heard of the magazine here in Oz.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 AM
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

It may not be a scam, but definitely a waste of money. Their website currently has 3,496 paintings listed. That's a lot of unsold paintings and do you think any collector will browse through nearly 4,000 pieces of work? If any artist feels the money is worth it, then by all means feel free to do it, but chances are you're just making the website owners rich. $20 x 5000 (current number of works on their website) images equals $50,000 just for submission to their print magazine. Who knows how much more they're making on putting artists' works on their website.

There is a never ending list of these supposed art magazines promoting desperate artists' works and the only ones making money are these websites, not the artists. I received the same solicitation and I turned down their offer. My advice to all artists is to save your money. You're only making them rich. This applies to 95% of all the online artists' calls. The only ones making money are the people that get money from artists that participate in these "online" contests and "online" magazines. Artists need to stop being desperate and stop wasting money.

A friend of mine who is a professional artist has been doing this for over 25 years and even he makes just enough money to make a living full time. There is no short cut and no online magazine or website will get you there. It takes 5-10 years just to get a following painting full time. You can get there, but not through these online gimics.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 AM
Cracow

Hails from Poland

I got it too, few days ago, I got suspicious after they emailed me 6 times, in two days, rushing me into a competition, that was weird until it resulted to be paid one! I remember that one of my friends participated in all kind of art calls and it was a pure waste of time and money. Thank’s God there is Google and You guys!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Immortalized
Jacksonville, Florida

Funny I just got this from Instagram on Sat. as well...
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2018, 12:41 PM

I got a message from a 1340art account on Instagram today. It does look scammy.

I DM'd the account and requested a written T&C before submitting and haven't heard back...to me, that's always a bad sign. IMHO there should be clear, written, posted Terms & Conditions with any exchange of art images/rights to post, and if a company can't provide at least a brief T&C, I don't enter my work.

~Julian

Art blog: http://julianjaymes.com
Read my comic online!: http://julianjaymes.com/sidelines
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

100% a scam. I reached out to artists who "won" (basically anybody who pays). People are told different things (pay to be promoted, art contest with distinguished panel of judges, magazine sold in Amsterdam, London and New York). Some bought copies of a magazine that never arrived. ISBN numbers of magazines "published" belong to other real publications.

Please protect fellow artists by spreading the word.

Thank you!

Check out my other works on Facebook.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmik
Hi !

I have tried to track down via google maps where 1340 art is located and surprise surprise - both offices are located in such places in Italy and Netherlands, where you cannot check how whole place looks like.

I think it's at least very suspicious.

Also web site itself looks like appearing for first time 1-6.2017, and only two numbers of it's magazine currently exists, which also sounds suspicious.

I would prefer someone telling me is that a scam or not ?
geez - what more do you need to know?
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Whether or not it is a scam it certainly isn't receiving great reviews and no boost of confidence. If a TV got these reviews, I wouldn't buy it.