WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
Re: Fluid acrylic pours - cells & lacing

This is also paint, silicone, floetrol, and water
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 03:48 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Liquitex Pour medium silicone water Paint..

on cardboard canvas, 20x30 cm

on paper 30x40 cm
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Last edited by fedetony : 09-14-2017 at 03:53 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 05:12 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

Your poured painting are amazing Tony and Carol!

Kate

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

I'm just starting to play with pours, Federico & Carol, you are getting some amazing results!

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

It is fun Pat. Messy but fun.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Here's one I've done that I'm pretty happy with:

(The white balance is a bit off on that picture - the whites are whiter in real life.)

Something that I'm wondering about lately now that fall is here is if ambient temperature is a factor -- my results haven't been as good now that the temperature has gone down.

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
Instagram: edward_sherman
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 PM

Hi there. I'm an experimental acrylic artist and lately have tried exploring doing the dirty pour thing with silicone to create cells. I use primarily Golden Fluid Acrylics and have tried a number of mediums (Liquitex Pouring Medium, Floetrol, Elmer's Glue All, etc.). I feel like I've watched a million videos, studied pigment densities (you can download a pigment density chart from Golden Arts - the lighter densities go into the dirty pour cup first as they float to the top of the heavier densities) and, like you, have wasted a TON of paint and medium trying to get things to work. AAARRRGGGGHHH! Although I've had a couple that turned out semi-okay using Nicky Burch's recipe, the only medium recipe that has worked for me (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...15&FORM =VIRE) even when I do get something that I like, it: 1) takes for freakin'ever to dry (it was bad enough having to wait 24 hours in between my thin acrylic layers let alone 2+ weeks with this method!); 2) dries with a dull, matte finish; 3) requires that you remove the silicone on the surface of the painting with flour as if you don't, you can't varnish it; 4) is extremely messy; 5) takes up a lot of space; 6) wastes a lot of paint and medium; and 7) only works for me on a canvas substrate. The problem with these videos is that there are way too many unaccounted for variables: temperature, humidity, brand of paint used, thickness of paint, hardness and mineral content of the water used, how it's allowed to dry, etc. As someone who has taught art, I know that the exact same materials will produce different results depending on each artist which makes it ever so challenging. Best wishes!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUReddy
2) dries with a dull, matte finish;
3) requires that you remove the silicone on the surface of the painting with flour as if you don't, you can't varnish it;
About 2) Most paints dry dull, they look alive only when wet... there are some that take pictures and then use them as prints... but anyway you can use either resin or a gloss lack over (when dry) and it will return the shininess you saw when wet.
About 3) You should always remove the silicon, else you will have issues with the paint sticking in the surface... many use the torch for it to evaporate and come out of the surface.
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 AM

I also began with poured acrylics and had several failures. Then, once I got so the painting looked good, I was annoyed that the LOVELY piece I did one night turned into a much less exciting piece by morning.
The "problem" is that there is such a thick layer of paint on a poured acrylic painting that the various colors can keep rising and falling for a long time.
I studied the physics of it -- i.e., different densities need to be layered with the heavier ones on top of the lighter-weight ones -- and decided that I could achieve that layering with a lot less paint! Now I am doing what I call "Swiped Acrylics" -- drizzling thin parallel lines over the board and then swipe something across the lines to drag each color over the next several lines. If I want a particular color to be "lacing", I leave it a little denser than the rest and use it as a "top swipe" -- dragging from the leading edge over all. Details: I don't cover ALL the surface with drizzles since swiping will spread everything out; put extra paint on the edge you will start your swipe from (or even put some of that color OFF the canvas to get started); edges will need to be done separately since there is little run-off except at the final side.
I'm less interested in making giant paintings with solid colors and I'm more in to controlling the swipes and doing landscapes, so this technique works well for me.

My "recipe" is 1/2 paint and 1/2 Floetrol if I'm using house paint; or 1/3 paint and 2/3 Floetrol if using thicker artist paints. If I want to make a particular color more dominant, I might add a few drops of water to help it rise.

I like small cells on my small pieces so I stir a few drops of dimethicone (K-Y True Feel) in with the paints as I mix them; except I don't put any K-Y in the paints I plan to use as "top swipe" colors. I store my mixed paints in squeeze bottles and they keep for weeks. Since I am not mixing things 'fresh' for each painting, I don't have the problem of air bubbles and so don't need to use a torch to pop bubbles.
Hope you are having fun with your pours and (perhaps?) swipes.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 AM

Here are two examples from a show I have up in Dixon (thru August).
Attached Images

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Interesting thread, lots of great info on pouring.
I liked seeing the examples of the pours and also the swipe pours, all are very cool.
I've tried a few pours, three so far and I have two I liked and one dud. I like them as fantastic backgrounds, so I'll be doing more for that purpose.
Attached Images

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

I used a can of my husband wd40- sprayed it into the paint cups and a little on the canvas- the trick is to not stir anything if you want big cells.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigih
I used a can of my husband wd40- sprayed it into the paint cups and a little on the canvas...
A caution about squirting oil directly on a canvas or board:
Paint doesn't stick to oil! (Which is why oil between the layers can make cells.) If you put oil on the canvas, your paint won't stick to the surface in that one spot and the artwork is more likely to flake later.