Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time November 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Ok, it’s official, the holidays are upon us! :eek: I’m making gifts and trying not to hurt my hands by doing too much at a time.

Halloween was a bust. I had 2 kids before it was fully dark. Then my porch light crapped out. I can’t change the light bulb without climbing up on something. When DH came home from work he said he saw no children running around. It was windy and raining, so… probably not a lot of kids out anyway.

Been sewing up angels production line style. So far wings are being sewn.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

We had about 25 -30 kids. I have been bingeing on the left over candy. :smug::o

The doll houses were mom’s. She loved making miniatures and doll houses. All the grandkids got one. These were 2 that had never been started along with a big box of furniture. Vicki picked up everything on Monday. What she can’t use she will pass on.

I have looked at the doll parts. :rolleyes:

I am knitting.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I hear you on the left over candy. :clear: Have you thought about starting a different doll? I know you feel you need to finish this one. It’s waited this long. It can wait a bit more while you do a different one to get your hand back into the doll making. Just a thought. Sending you virtual hugs.

I have no idea what’s going on with my Etsy shop. My views are down by over 50% from this time last year. I’ve checked the stats and my key words are on point. I’m not sure what has changed. Is it Etsy and their search algorithm? Or are people just not searching for stuffed dragons this year? It’s not the end of the world. It’s really a hobby rather than a serious I need to make this work business. Just very curious about what’s happening.

I’m managing to get 2 angel ornaments done in a day without their hair taking long breaks to rest my wrist so I can continue to work. I really wish I could just go until they were done. :rolleyes: But, I can’t unless I really want to then have to take a week off from doing anything while the wrist heals up again.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

From what I have read Etsy has made lots of changes, plus you are competing on it with cheap overseas products.

The doll is a symbol of what I am dealing with. She is not sweet or pretty. Part of why I am so blocked is that I have not grieved, I am angry about being locked into this place, living with someone who is bitter and bitchy and manipulative. Yes the doll needs to be finished in all its fury and danger.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I’m so sorry to hear you are locked in. Is there no way you can move? Maybe working on the doll would help you see more clearly what you can do about your situation. I don’t know, of course, I’m not you. Nor am I in your situation. I hope you can find a solution soon.

Yup, Etsy has made a lot of changes. They are trying to turn it into typical big box retail and us poor individual makers are struggling to find our niche. I haven’t given up, but I am talking seriously with DH about what to do next. In the meantime, there are angel ornaments to make without hurting my wrist in the process. So, it’s slow going. I’m doing them kind of production line style. When I get the first ones to the last step and completed, I’ll post a picture.

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

That is how I used to do my little dolls and “hands” for craft sales. Cut them all out, turn them all and stuff them. Then finish one by one. I would play home improvement videos I didn’t need to watch all the time.

I am on the xmas presents now I have finished knitting a wolf pelt scarf for Luc, just need to assemble and finish it. I am knitting a red hood for the daughter. Yes exactly, Red Ridding Hood and the wolf….

I have spent the last couple of days hunched over chat because she is sick, lots of abdominal pain. “watching” while she gets bounced from clinic to doctor to testing. They now think it is diverticulitis. Her own doctor hasn’t been involved, there was no way she could wait a month to see her and without a car she can’t get to her anyway.

The weather here is atrocious, wind, rain, freezing rain and then snow and -16c. We have new snow clearance people and they seem to be doing a good job. My joints ache, my chest is tight and I have a low grade migraine from the weather.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, Red Riding Hood and the wolf sounds like fun. Hope the kids enjoy. Poor girl suffering from abdominal pain. Diverticulitis is zero fun, but treatable with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. Both my mom and my brother suffer with it from time to time. Sorry about your bad weather. Can you keep the house a bit warmer and dryer so as to not have the physical symptoms? Stay indoors, warm and dry if you can. Tho’ with a dog to walk… bundle up.

Still working on the angel ornaments. I’ve got 4 more to go on this step, then back through the line to do the finishing details. No snow here yet, tho’ it’s getting closer. We are just below the snow levels right now. However, we are having rain and hail.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Wet canvas keeps logging me out!:(

We are having freezing rain. I was finally feeling better physically and planning on going to the gym when I looked out and instead of snow we are having freezing rain and cars are skidding all over the place. There were cops and an ambulance across the street… So I made more coffee and curled up with my knitting.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry about WC logging you out. I haven’t had that problem, but do you want me to see if it’s a global problem? Freezing rain is definitely worse than snow. Coffee and knitting sounds like a great option.

Onto the next step with the angel ornaments. They all need hair. LOL And a hanger. I’m trying to decide if I can manage beards on the male ones. My son and 2 of my nephews sport beards.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

It seems to have stopped. Maybe they were doing maintenance. :clear:

Beards are hard. I have done a few with facial hair. Pubic hair is easy because nobody admits to looking too closely :lol: . (you are probably not adding pubic hair to angels) Actually chest hair is even more difficult because it is sparse. One teacher taught to use felting needles. You spread a little glue and use a felting needle to embed the hair.

The weather is better today. The snow and rain has stopped.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately these are so tiny, I’m using a wooden bead for the head. I may just use a marker to color in a beard. Or even, leave it off entirely. After all these are just ornaments for a tree. Not a lot of detailed inspection going on.

Actually, I frustrated my self yesterday. I was thinking I only needed a few strands of embroidery floss to create the hair. I cut 4 lengths because I actually pull them apart and use the strands. No, I need 12 lengths to have enough to cover the wooden bead. *sigh* I’d spent a long time going thru my embroidery floss to find the hair colors I wanted and now I have to go back and match colors to get enough for each one. Oh well, I still have time.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Use a marker to paint on the hair, then glue the hair on. You will need less and have no bald spots. And the strands don’t have to match exactly, hair doesn’t and streaking is fashionable.

I dropped off 2 shawls I made at the Pride Centre. They will use them for the trans remembrance day function and for a fundraising gala as door prizes.

Last week was bad physically and emotionally. My oldest daughter’s adoptive father died. They were estranged since she was about 12 (divorce and prison for drug importing) but she still had “feelings” about the whole thing.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks for the marker idea. Nice donation. Sorry about your oldest daughter’s loss. Hope she can find peace.

The angel ornaments are coming along. only 1/3 still need hair. Then it’s onto adding the hangers. I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for some way of packaging them that was cute. I’ll probably just use wrapping paper of some sort. Didn’t find anything that looked reasonably do-able and was something I’d have fun making.

Debby
                                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Thank you. She is getting over it. I think it was more the shock then anything else. You can be estranged but still have good memories from the time before.

I finished the red hood/cowl. It is drying now. I also finished a hat for the kid’s mother. The wolf scarf only needs to be assembled and the head embroidered.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, will we get pictures of the wolf and red riding hood? Sounds like you are making good progress on your Yule gifts.

I just finished all the angel ornaments. I even found a pillow box that was the right size that I can print out and assemble. I purchased the pillow box file from an Etsy seller for $1.50. I can’t show the box, but here is the collection of angels.

Debby
                                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.