Home Forums The WetCanvas! Galleria Open Critique Forum My Journey So Far

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BlackieRat

This is colored pencil on mylar, 10″ x 20″. I am thinking of re-doing it with tinted scratchboard instead of colored pencil. Curious for any C&C comments.
        This image loaded much greener than the artwork, but I don’t know how to correct it.

Thanks!

sevan

I like the broken color of the plants. Cant imagine the time that would take with pencils! I like the little things, like the colors in the water droplets. Mr. fish is impressive. Looks almost digital for some reason. He is a different style from the background, but that helps him to pop, along with his striking color contrast.
            if anything, maybe a little too hard of an edge around the fish near the head. But that depends, bc it also makes it stick out, and separates him from the background greens..
            I look forward to more colored pencil!

Beemax

Interestingly enough, the unintended green colour looks wonderful, as does the rest of this very good piece. marvellous skill with pencils and beautifully stylised, from the water to the fish. Excellent work. I also thought it had a digital look but hey ho. I think your background does just enough to support your main images, which quite simply leap from the page. No suggestions, unless you can get a pic which shows the true colour, or close to, at least. I must reiterate, however, that the present colour looks excellent.

B

BlackieRat

Thanks for your kind words! I actually like the green too; it’s not accurate.

BlackieRat

Thanks for your helpful comments! I hadn’t thought about the quality of outline around the fish; I tend to use hard edges without thinking when I paint. Colored pencil helps me be a bit more conscious of what I’m doing in that regard.
                        Not sure what you mean by ‘digital.’ You mean like computer-generated? There is definitely a switch of style in the background plants. That’s part of why I’m thinking of scratchboard; to unify the style more.

Rachael1

As a beginner I don’t have any suggestions. However it seems to me a terrific piece of coloured pencil work. The clarity of your fish is outstanding. Water droplets and splash is something I hope I can achieve some day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.