WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Sketchbook Thread

Beautiful sketchbook work Kay!!!

The drawings, notes and colour samples will be so valuable when you want to do a sustained piece on those specimens...

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Oh, my goodness, Kay! Those are wonderful! I'm so glad you posted them. I love the colors you chose and all your notes. I didn't know you folks had goldfinches across the pond! Aren't they the cutest little things?

We'll be able to compare colors soon, as I ordered a small set of Polychromos to play with. After 2 different people in one day recommended them as better for details in botanical work, I figured I'd better see what the fuss was about, LOL! Still loving my Prismas, tho, but they are a nuisance for detail - too squishy. The Verithins are great but don't seem as colorful.

I've recently started a new sketchbook myself to work through a new botanical drawing book I just got. It's by Sue Vize and I really love it. I'll try to remember to post some of my work as I get through the exercises. She works through both graphite and colored pencil and has a lovely style.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2017, 08:55 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Your flowers are beautiful, Kay! I aspire to a sketchbook that neat and focused! Haha! I sometimes do something similar with food. I'll sketch a food or ingredient and then jot the recipe in my sketchbook.

#79   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Maker
Oh, my goodness, Kay! Those are wonderful! I'm so glad you posted them. I love the colors you chose and all your notes. I didn't know you folks had goldfinches across the pond! Aren't they the cutest little things?

We'll be able to compare colors soon, as I ordered a small set of Polychromos to play with. After 2 different people in one day recommended them as better for details in botanical work, I figured I'd better see what the fuss was about, LOL! Still loving my Prismas, tho, but they are a nuisance for detail - too squishy. The Verithins are great but don't seem as colorful.

I've recently started a new sketchbook myself to work through a new botanical drawing book I just got. It's by Sue Vize and I really love it. I'll try to remember to post some of my work as I get through the exercises. She works through both graphite and colored pencil and has a lovely style.

Sharie, I think you and I are living parallel lives! What a coincidence - I've just bought the Sue Vize book and I sat and read through it for the first time just this morning (before I'd seen this)!

It's a great book, isn't it?! Absolutely packed with info, and great step-by-step demos with loads of detail. She does use tons of different brand pencils, but I think it will be fine to substitute.

I'd love to see how you get on with the exercises.

Yes, we have goldfinches here too, but our European goldfinches are very different from American goldfinches. I don't think they're even in the same family. They are equally lovely though. That's another coloured pencil project I want to do....so many ideas and so little time!

Thanks for kind comments about my sketches everybody. Those are definitely some of the better ones - lots of them are much messier and less successful, but I'll keep those ones to myself!
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

LOL! That's amazing! Yes, I love it so far! I decided to skip the chapter on roots for now until I divide my iris in a few weeks and, after finishing some of the basic exercises, I went out and got myself a twig. I'll try it in both graphite and CP and see how it goes. This is exactly the kind of thing I need - simple stuff that I know I can do but will get me drawing again.

You have the coolest finches!!! OMG, they have red faces! I'd love to see one - looks like I'll have to come for a visit one of these days. I took a cute shot of ours a few days ago, feeding on the thistle feeder. The females are more greenish and no black caps. These two fellows would feed for a while, then have an air battle then go back to feeding - it was funny to watch.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 02:34 AM

Aren't they lovely! Another great photo, by the way.

Yes, our goldfinches are completely different in appearance - quite slimline and very striking with their flashes of red. I've got a little pile of reference photos of various British birds on my table ready to do some drawings, but haven't started yet because I'm busy with other things. I'm doing the July challenge over in the Floral/Botanical sub-forum, plus I'm trying to work my way through some learning exercises from my books, then I want to do some work on bees, and there's so many botanical sketches I want to do....so I'm not sure when I'll get round to the birds!
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
New England

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySilver
Sharie, I think you and I are living parallel lives! What a coincidence - I've just bought the Sue Vize book and I sat and read through it for the first time just this morning (before I'd seen this)!

It's a great book, isn't it?! Absolutely packed with info, and great step-by-step demos with loads of detail. She does use tons of different brand pencils, but I think it will be fine to substitute.

I'd love to see how you get on with the exercises.

Yes, we have goldfinches here too, but our European goldfinches are very different from American goldfinches. I don't think they're even in the same family. They are equally lovely though. That's another coloured pencil project I want to do....so many ideas and so little time!

Thanks for kind comments about my sketches everybody. Those are definitely some of the better ones - lots of them are much messier and less successful, but I'll keep those ones to myself!

Wonderful sketches. What sketchbook are you using? I love the arrangement on the page. Nice!
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezk
Wonderful sketches. What sketchbook are you using? I love the arrangement on the page. Nice!

Thanks!

I have various store-bought sketchbooks which I'm using up, but I also like to make my own (I've got a bind-it-all machine). That way I can have a mix of different papers in one book, including some pages of watercolour paper for use with aquarelle pencils.

I'm trying out different papers at the moment so the magnolias are on Bockingford HP (although there seems to be two different versions of their HP paper), and the thistles are on Fabriano Studio and a sheet from a Daler-Rowney Ebony sketchbook.

I haven't figured out for sure yet which inexpensive store-bought sketchbook I like best for dry coloured pencil sketches, but I definitely like that Daler Rowney Ebony one. It has a slight tooth and takes a few light layers nicely. Perfect for cp sketches.
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I just wanted to show you how we can enjoy in the middle of Toronto, and at the very beginning of the Spring, these American Goldfinches in our small patio... They are glorious, and going into their summer plumage so early on! Raquel

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 03:29 PM

A couple of my faves from my sketch book, I've drawn on and off for years but I've on my started taking technique more seriously in the last fortnight after a long break, the penguin came before the apple