Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk pastel pencils less dusty?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    multifaceted

I used to work in soft pastel years ago, but left it behind because I developed asthma. I currently work in colored pencil and oil pastel (and I love both), but sometimes I desire the soft pastel.

If I worked on a smoother paper, would the pastel pencils be relatively dust free? I am thinking of the new softer Derwent, Carbs, Pitts,or Caran.

Thanks

Didee1000

They are definitely less dusty and I especially like the PITT Pastel pencils by Faber-Castell. You can even sharpen them in a hand or electric sharpener and the points don’t break off. The only thing I find is that your painting ends up looking more like a drawing if you use just the pencils. So I combine my paintings with Pan Pastels. All the best!

Diane Marcotte
            dianemarcotte.com
            Blog for Artists - dianemarcotte.com/blog

Colorix

The least amount of loose dust you can get is, IMHO, using panpastels on Pastelmat.

The combination of paper and pastels or pencils plays a huge role in how much loose dust is generated. The really sandpapery papers (with grit on top of the glue/gesso) holds pigments better, plus Pastelmat, it is really good too.

I have asthma, and work on sandpaper and Pastelmat. I have one of those air purifiers with hepa filters, and I put it on when I brush off pigment, or rub pigment in. Otherwise I don’t need it (as long as I keep the studio reasonably clean).

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

JPQ

I have problem with some brand pastels i think Rembrandt (but based only 3) is problematic for me but Schmincke and Unison is not. I also otherways like more these Schminckes and Unisons. i talk how they feel and their colour range. ps. i don have asthma or maybe i have but i dont know…

Out of the pastel pencils I’ve tried, Conte seems the most dusty–I think the Pitt, Derwent and Carb-Othello have all been fairly light on the dust. Almost no dust with Caran d’Ache cubes and a little bit with NuPastel.

robertsloan2

Pastel pencils are quite a bit less dusty in my experience, any brand. Hard pastels are similar and less dusty than softer ones. Pan Pastels are the least dusty, although it’s possible to get a little bit of loose dust in the pan itself if you dab it too many times and scrub it in heavily trying to pick up more color. I did that a few times and found that leaving it there, then picking it up on later strokes worked.

They work well in combination too.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

multifaceted

Thanks so much for your answers. I will think on this some more.

multifaceted

Thanks so much for your answers. I will think on this some more.

JustinM

Im quite surprised you have had issues with your asthma & the pastels! Ive had asthma since I was a small boy but never once have seen any reaction from the pastels. Does it happen immediately? Or only after you’ve used them for a while? I could see fixative having an effect (i always spray outside & mostly infrequently) but im surprised about the pastels themselves.

Justin Maas, SFCA, SCA, PDVC www.justinmaas.com[/url]
                                    Follow me on Instagram Maas.Art on Instagram
                                    Facebook: Facebook Gallery[/url]

NRC

Dust has become less and less as I have learned to work with a lighter touch. When I first started, I was amazed at how much dust I created …and how it landed everywhere!

Nell

[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Navy]I'm a fixer-upper. I like the puzzle of it all. I like to get myself into trouble and try to work my way out of it. I'm never going to run out of substandard stuff. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]Robert Genn[/SIZE]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.