WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Ummm - pricing?

I hear you Rick, I'm not wanting to lower the value of the medium either but like anything else it depends so much where you are located, your skill level, your subject matter, your name recognition, etc. and it's hard to figure a price structure when you don't have anything in your area to compare some of these things against. I most certainly would appreciate some objective opinions about pricing my work but it's such a relative thing. I certainly don't want to create a problem with the price structure for the show but I truly don't have a clue as to where to price my stuff so that it is in the ballpark and doesn't affect others pricing. I'm just happy to be there.

I kinda figured that there would be a section for the masters and my stuff would be in the wantabee section, just call me grasshopper.

Last edited by Garbonzo : 01-07-2009 at 03:24 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Harold,

It is odd, the only piece I have sold, I doubled the price on it so it would not sell. I had it set to be in another show so I priced it high, it sold! That was a colored pencil piece 16X 20 ,it sold for $645.00. I have no clue how to price the pieces out for the show. Rick
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Harold, you are such a goober!! I would put you work next to anyones, any time!!

Is there a problem with different values? I don't consider my prices high end, more like the middle. It never occured to me that we should all price the same.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

So out of curiosity, what would be an appropriate price range for the one I did of the squirrel? Can the people south of the border give me an idea of how much I should ask? Its 8"x10"
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

My prices will be going up to $5.00 per square inch (up from $3.50), which will make an 8 x 10 inch board $400.00. This may seem like quite a jump, but my prices haven't moved in three years and I kept being told that I should have been charging double what I was.

(The only reason I haven't changed them already is that my website is mucked up and my husband hasn't had time to get on and fix it.)

From the looks of it, that will bring my prices closer what most of you seem to be charging.

- Tania

Ack! I thought I had psyched myself up for that... after all my website will be fixed in a week or so and I will be putting those numbers out there for real, but... now that I see them there in black and white I'm a little weirded out again.

Last edited by tanianault : 01-08-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: to freak out
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

I'll come back and comment after i Pick the $1.49 stickers off of my works!!! and void 1/2 off coupons i printed...

I'll price along the lines of what has been posted here...I had some people ask me about pricing and i wasn't really comfortable pricing someone else's art. I hardly ever sell originals..about the only thing i have been able to move is prints...
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Kelowna, B.C.

Hails from Canada

RICK, i'm with you . During the big show this year I sold a 16x20 . I was told price it high as a lot of people think high price is quality !! I realy did'nt want to sell it so I priced it for $1200 and it sold right away !!! Some things just don't make sense. The picture was my" Birch Path." I loved it and miss it. Sigh....

Victor
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

Tania your sooooooooo worth that and in my opinion way more!!! especially if you have a lot of work in the background! This is why I price mine more its the damn backgrounds!!!

Last edited by pamelalbd : 01-08-2009 at 07:00 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
A Local Legend
Metamora, Illinois

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbonzo
I kinda figured that there would be a section for the masters and my stuff would be in the wantabee section, just call me grasshopper.
Ifin your'e the "grasshopper" section.......
I guess I'll be in the "gnat's ass" section!
But strangly.....I'm OK with that

Rod......$1.49 and half off coupons? I just about fell off my chair!

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Southfield, Michigan

Hails from United States

Wow...I'm with Rod . . . guess I better reconsider that buy one get one free idea . . .

LOL

I'm glad this conversation is being had. I NEVER quite know how to price my work. I displayed my recognition piece "Daddy's Direction" recently and set up a price of $800. It's a 16x20. By the end of the night I had a lady almost chastizing me because she thought it was way too low. Especially compared to the uniqueness of scratchboard compared to the other artists displaying.

funny thing is she didn't buy anything so I didn't know how exactly to take her advice. LOL

But then again...this is Detroit...maybe she was waiting on her government bailout check. LOL
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

I'm NO help at this time.

I had prices before.

I have new prices this year, but I'm still tryin to figure them out.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

I'll tell you how experienced I am, I have read the term recognition piece in this thread twice and I'm not sure what that is.

I am going to price mine higher than my current color pencil prices. I will find a middle of the road price based on what I have seen here. If I get one that really shows well, I will mark it up accordingly.

Victor, I can understand why you miss this one. Very nice work and I would say the owner got a wonderful piece of art. I love the composition.

Mychael, I know what you mean, If my price is so low why haven't you bought it yet, is what you would like to say. But I must say on this one, she can see the quality. She may have been giving you her opinion of your work compared to the rest in the show.

Since we are talking about shows and prices, I would like to ask the experienced exhibiting artist, do most shows have mulitiple sales? I have been in a total of about ten shows and have only heard of a few sales total.Rick
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenArt
I'll tell you how experienced I am, I have read the term recognition piece in this thread twice and I'm not sure what that is.

The Recognition challenge was what got the idea for this show started. It was a little contest that we had earlier in 2008 where everyone did a board of their choice and sent me the picture in a PM. I then posted them all anonymysly and a seperate list of who had entered and the goal was to match as many people with their board as possible. Some people tried to fool everyone by doing something out of the ordinary and others just did a piece in their style. Fire Angel won by guessing 13/21 correct! You can view all the entries at: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518565 and if you search the forum or threads that I started you can find the answers too.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

in the pen and ink forum, I came across an article (more like a manual) that is far and away the best read I've found. I recommend it highly. It's by D B Sullivan, titled "How to produce (and sell) prints of your art work".....give it a look. It covers way more than just print production. It answered a ton of questions for me.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Hails from United States

I find it very difficult to price each board size the same, some just have way to much work to allow that. I strongly feel that those artist that actively market, show and sell their art, will demand a higher price, and rightfully so. I can not help but think that we should be looking to the gallery or perhaps to Rod-man to give us an idea as to how strong of an art community Indianapolis is, or does it really matter? From what I'm reading, I'm going to price high to not sell.

I was wondering if we are each given a specific number of square feet to display in?

Mark