WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Ummm - pricing?

I'm a little worried that the pricing at the show will be all over the place. I'm charging about $1000 for an 8x10 these days.

Is that high or low compaired to others?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Ummm - pricing?

That sounds great if you can get it. I can't get half that down here in South Australia, but some of my stuff that goes a bit further can get closer but not as close as $1,000au. I've only been getting $450 for 8x10 and $325 for 5x7. I try to price higher but it won't sell then. Mind you, Adelaide is the middle of nowhere in artistic and economic terms.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Most of mine go to Canada and the US. I sold a 5x7 (the Dark Horse) for $800 to a lady just after Christmas. I wasn't really sure I wanted to sell it, but the car needed new breaks! She didn't even blink at the price.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Waldport, Oregon

Hails from United States

I'm way too low...will you be my manager?
Karen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 PM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

My prices shot up when I got a manager. Get a manager
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

eerrr, I probalby should also say that I'm selling LESS originals now, more prints. But if I don't sell them, I still have them, they don't go off. And I'm happier to get more for them and have to sell less.

I'd like to sell lots for that price though!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

My 8X10 prices are comparable to yours, Eliza. I don't sell prints.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 AM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Why not Lorna? Prints are an artists superanuation
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

It's not that I have anything against them...where I live, prints don't do well and I can't afford have prints done on speculation without an outlet. BUT I just found out about a place here in BC that does good ones and am checking it out, so we'll see.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

I hear ya Patrick...Northern Saskatchewan is much the same! I think your pricing Eliza is in line with what I have been getting, although I have to say I don't sell that many here, as there are not any galleries in my area and I haven't any in the bigger centers, so any I sell are through personal commissions and the odd contact through the one show I attend each year.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Eliza- you're also about in line with mine, though may lower prices a bit with the state of the economy. I too am looking into prints, but don't have them yet.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Well apparently I am way under priced, although the last area of Canada that I was in isn't a great economic area and I haven't had a chance to really explore what the artistic community is like here. I would have to ask though for our international artists, like Patrick, are they well known in their respective countries and if this affects their pricing? I have had some prints made in the past from my acrylics and the prices are initially pretty high but you do make your money back in the long run.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I think Eliza is right about pricing being all over the place, at least as far as I'm concerned. Since I don't promote my work it's always a problem for me as far as pricing. I sold my Iris (5x7), from the challenge, to the inspector that did my house for the buyer for $150.00. He saw it hanging in my dining room.I do my artwork for myself and don't really think too much about pricing until something like this comes along. I have issues with the local art league and so I don't get involved. I don't know any other artists in this area and WC is my only outlet for the artworld. So I most likely won't be anywhere near what others ask for their work but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I don't expect to sell much, it's just an oportunity to show some of my stuff and mostly to see some other artist's work up close, as well as, meet a few of the artists that I admire so much here on the WC.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Harold, I am in the same situation as you. WC is by far my biggest contact in the art world. I have recently started putting things in local shows but I have only sold one piece of art. I want to price my work according to what the medium should get, because I do not want to lower the value of the medium. I know that I need to build a names before I can expect to get close to premium pricing for my work. I would rather not sell than to compromise what the pricing structure should be. I would be perfectly willing to adjust my prices to fit this show. I know I am the newest to this medium so I would be very open to advise on how to price. Rick

I am participating more to be associated with this group of artist. I want to see in person all the great work you all post on this site.

Last edited by GoldenArt : 01-07-2009 at 01:39 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

I don't charge by size. Especially when you consider it is harder for me to do them, I should probobly charge more for the smaller boards. I am putting in two 12 x 16 (a nude and the swan) and I am thinking of $1200 to $1500 for them. And my recognition piece (11 x 14) I am thinking $1000 to $1200. Of course this will depend on if there is room for me to enter three pieces.

I agree with Cathy about the state of the economy and so I am pricing lower than I have in the past.

I wish we could sell prints here. I do believe Rod-man said the we could include prints of the pieces we are hanging to sell.

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.