WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
QDC -The Quick Dry Café - The Place to Chat

Coffee's on. C'mon in.

Last month's chatter is here.

NOVEMBER has arrived with clouds to smother the run of sunshine we had in October. I had better settle in for the wild wet month of November. At least there are cheerful festivals and holidays like The Day of the Dead and Remembrance Day to look forward to.

Hmmm, on second thought, I'll see you around in December.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: QDC -The Quick Dry Café - The Place to Chat

So, one of my questions.

If I posted a reference photo would anyone be willing to help me identify the parts of the photo to include? I feel like I cannot "see" front, middle, and background on 2 dimensional things like photographs. When I try to paint things they all seem very flat. I want to do less of the nit picky and more chunks of color.

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 11:48 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Ah yes, November. Over the past year I have tried designating a couple of months to finishing the UFOs (UnFinished Objects) I have . Maybe this month. One thing I need to do is fix an ox from my mom's church's nativity. It's been sitting here most of the year. I just got some air dry clay to try out. It's missing an ear and a bit of it's horns.

Go for it Sheila. That's part of what we do here.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

We fix the ears of Oxen?

It's not the best picture but when I went back for another the colors had changed.

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Ut oh.
I just gessoed a bigger panel without thinking. It won't fit in my microwave! The cats are going to destroy it. Well, that may be a good excuse to use, "The cats destroyed it!"

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sheila - ask yourself which parts caught your attention when you saw the scene, that's the focal point - then look and see any parts that detract from the view you like ....
do the tracks at the front need to be there? ......... do the buildings in the b/g add to the impact you want? ...... look at each part like that, mentally remove parts and see what you think the action adds or spoils the comp.

There are strong diagonals leading you up the picture plane - do they aid or take you out? ... if you want them, how can you stop the eye leaving the canvas?

At present, ( think of a pop-up book) the foreground grasses would be the first layer standing up, the orange foliage etc, from tracks to railing diagonal make the middle layer and those buildings and bridge are your backdrop.

Making the foreground verticals a bit stronger and detailed could frame the middle distance foliage where the colour impact could be and the b/g could be suggested rather than detailed.

Does this give you an idea of seeing the 2D in 3D form?

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Ohhh! Glad I went with this one because the lines are fairly clear!

What first got my attention was the bright colors in these nuisance "weeds" in an area that is neglected between 2 very popular parks.

The building in the background, the Internal Revenue Service, is beautiful in real life but now it's covered in construction. I'd only hint at its bones. I do like the sky with mostly gray except for a few hints of blue.... a promise in the future.

The bridge is "Walnut St Bridge" and, while I'd put it out there, not much detail. Mostly more the color. The railing then, on a diagonal is for a pedestrian bridge which is new, sealed my job, and is also now covered in a deep red of vines that are next to impossible to remove but the color, that I lost on the photo, is incredible.

In front of the rail, the other "Tree of Heaven" is a bright orange and, in contrast, the sapling to its right, in yellow. Then more greenery of weeds, then white weeds.... then the rails. More rocks, more green....

I would keep the lights, the verticals. At this time of the year the scene, for me, is both colorful and cold. It appears so abandoned but it's used by hundreds if not thousands every day. The landscape architects who designed all this, won awards for the design but, now that it is seven years later, the growth is taking over again. I grabbed my "phone" for the color of the weeds but in later looking it was the promises denied that brought me back.

In painting it I'm assuming I start at the top for this one and move downward. While I do want to capture the color of the growth I want the focus to be the tracks (not in sharp contrast though.) Something suggests to be that it's both a journey and a destination.

I looked again today. The color is gone however, having all the growth blurred makes it easier for me who can't always render the most detail with my hands. I've got a 16" x 20" panel getting ready. The brushes had best cooperate!

Thanks Maureen! I promise to continue keeping you busy!

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Here's what messes me up every time. How do I determine the angle of the railroad tracks and the ramp to the pedestrian bridge?

I did buy a proportional divider hoping it would help me with some bad habits. (Also have protractors and compasses and everything to keep my high school geometry teacher happy!)

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 06:52 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Well, if you're determined to use a protractor, draw a horizontal line across from the start of the angle and use the protractor to find the angle, then do the same on the canvas.😃

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:13 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I always prefer to paint from back to front, which is usually top to bottom, especially in a landscape. It's good to block in everything in the beginning but then I focus on one area at a time. You kind of need to when you're painting things like trees and plants, you don't want to have to paint around them. I also find it less overwhelming to work in sections.

Make your reference proportional to your painting if it isn't already. You could divide your reference and canvas into quarters or eighths to give you a guide. You probably wouldn't need to draw lines on your canvas, just mark the edges.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend

Sheila.....maybe the ‘Chestnut Street Bridge’ still has color?

If it was me, I’d walk over to Independence Square and paint Betsy Ross home!...with her flag, etc....lovely scene!...
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Blue!
It's the Walnut Street Bridge- I checked yesterday. It's that horrible off greenish color done by the city to approximate aged copper- it's not.

I rarely go to Old City- it's always so full of tourists in the warm months and so cold in the cold months. You know, it's a full decade I've lived here and I still have not gone in to see the Liberty Bell. It's a big bell. What's to see?

It would probably be nice if I just took a good camera and photographed these sites for our reference library. I'm not feeling too great to do that but I'm not feeling horrible. I should make it a goal. Independence hall, Betsy Ross House, Washington Square..... any other suggestions Blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
Sheila.....maybe the ‘Chestnut Street Bridge’ still has color?

If it was me, I’d walk over to Independence Square and paint Betsy Ross home!...with her flag, etc....lovely scene!...

Sheila Goldfish

-Helen Keller
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Nelson, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

HI Folks! Its November! The month before Christmas, the Christmas Craft Fair and also my birthday is this month. I like November. Is into the cold, crispy frozen weather..dry. Fall and spring can both be a bit rainy for me, even here where its VERY dry. I really hate the rain...

I am very busy right now making and paintings things for the craft fair on Nov 23rd, paintings, painted rocks, painted barn board, painted tree ornaments, painted wood slices...
- "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 04:40 PM
A Local Legend

Sheila....you should take your camera to the ‘Flower Show’ in March....outstanding displays....only the London Show is larger...

Also, Broad Street, with William Penn in the background....or the Mummers parading down Broad Street...

There is also a large Christmas fair downtown...lots of interesting sites there...

And don’t miss the Parkway with all the museums, leading up to the fabulous Art Museum...

Just a few ideas off the top of my head...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I'm gonna use my protractor! Yay!

Michelle, I laid down tape "horizons" now to block off some sections. I seldom paint from a reference so mapping out a painting before hand seldom works! I'll do something and then decide I need to add a cat to a window sill!

Bluefish, the flower show is a nightmare to those of us with severe allergies and asthma! I get to see photos, even helped out behind the scenes long before the show one year but I can't be there. I used to do a lot of stuff with Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. I'm a "Tree Tender"! (Had to take arboreal classes to work in the parks.) I've done many of these photos in Center City. When I moved to Center City I was blown away by everything and now it's huge <sigh>. Like when I lived in the mountains and I failed to appreciate that I would not be there for ever. I just thought about going to the Museum this week but my work week, which was non existent this week suddenly picked up.

Today I would have done photos of the inside of my eyelids. I awoke with a migraine at about 6am and that lasted all day into tonight. No painting today. I did notice, when I have a migraine everything blue has a yellow film. How is yellow related to blue? I often have auras with migraine. The auras have all kinds of visual abnormalities and I'm wondering where they come from.

Sheila

-Helen Keller