Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Plein Air and at Home – Gouache and Watercolor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I hope is to learn to use watercolor and gouache as a plein air travel medium. The plein air sketch was a rough attempt that I hope to improve upon. C&C suggestions appreciated. Gary

Home 6×8 on Toned Paper
    [ATTACH]867907[/ATTACH]

Plein Air Sketch 5×7 on Toned Paper
    [ATTACH]867908[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Perry

I think you’re getting a handle on the gouache Gary. I remember that
        you mentioned one other time that you were having a tough time
        with gouache. I think the first one came out very nice.
        I think the second one has good color and value.
        I haven’t used gouache for that many paintings but I am becoming
        a little more comfortable using them in still lifes. I tried doing a landscape recently with gouache and the result was pretty bad.

I hope you succeed, these look good to me.

Can you give details of your setup? Do you set up as for like?

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thanks Perry. I think the trick now is a lot more practice.

Thanks Doug.

For travel I will use a thumb box to carry limited paints, brushes, etc. I have a Schmincke watercolor pan set filled with Da Vince watercolor paints. I put a wet paper towel fragment on one side for limited gouache. I will carry the thumb box, paper towels, water and a cup it a grocery bag.

At home I have a car and take too much junk with me. Gary

Guerrilla Thumb box and Schmincke Pan set for travel
        [ATTACH]867919[/ATTACH]

A place in shade on a hot day for painting near home
        [ATTACH]867920[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Thanks Gary, I’ll probably make a small staywet palette.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

bchlvr

Very nice…love the rich colors

Linn
            On December 17, 1903 The Wright Brothers dared to follow their dreams....
            My Blog[/U][/COLOR]

Doug, I have a Masterson’s small stay wet “Handy”. For me the paint is always too wet or too dry. I have used it most for acrylics. Maybe I will test it with some gouache.

Thanks bchlvr. Watercolors seem to have become more pigment in recent years.

Gary

"Painting is a verb"

I really like the first one Gary. For me the colours just work together. Rich oranges, ochre and browns tempered with a little green. If I’m being picky, for me the smaller middle ground twigs on the right are a bit too prominent, but I’ve no idea how I would tackle it.

Great Plein air!

Alan

One blue sky above us,
            One ocean lapping all our shore,
            One Earth so green and round,
            Who could ask for more. ....Pete Seeger

Thanks Alan. You might be right about some of the branches. Standing at a distance things blend together a bit better. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Well, done, Gary. We live in the boonies and between the bugs, the weeds and the heat/cold (any excuse!), I refuse to do plein aire although I sometimes paint the scene from a window or our porch. I applaud your efforts!

I thought you were incorporating more gouache but know how difficult it in a studio setting – would hate to try it in the open air.

Really like that first one!

I have a great palette for gouache – the Mijello Fusion Air Tight Palette – but I read where one professional gouache artist uses one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Containter-Watercolor-Depotting-lipsticks-Bianyo/dp/B0722L1K14

Thanks AbyA. I used only white gouache on the painting at home. For the plein air I used a primary set of gouache in addition to white gouache and watercolors. I am moving in that direction.

I prefer just to squirt out a little gouache on a wet paper towel as I use it. I toss what little is left. It is a little wasteful but I hated trying to keep gouache open when I made my first attempts some years back. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

ErnstG

Wonderful plein air motifs Gary!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Thanks Ernst. Painting outdoors is great. I love your work. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

monarch

These are great, and I especially like the first one. The colors and brush strokes are very pleasing. :)

I’m just starting out with gouache, so am wondering about what kind of toned paper you are using. Maybe gouache doesn’t need watercolor paper?

C&C welcome and appreciated

Thanks Monarch. I use Strathmore Toned Gray Mixed Media paper. I am a beginner. I got the idea of toned paper from the blog of a professional illustrator, Nathan Fowkes.

http://nathanfowkes-sketch.blogspot.com/p/my-materials-i-use-water-bin-old.html

He uses toned paper for his plein air studies. Some of them are really amazing to me.

Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.