WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, July 2019: optional "daily painting" theme!

#77   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast

Bravo, Tom! If you do more work on it in the studio, I hope you'll post the finished piece here. Looks great!

July daily painting #28: I painted this exact scene two years ago, but I did not look at that painting again before stepping up to the easel and trying again. I didn’t want to be influenced by the earlier picture. One thing that changed was my canvas: I chose a wide surface this time.

Another difference is that this time I painted it all in one go, in about two hours; last time I worked on the painting for three full afternoons! So the “old” one is more detailed and refined, but the “new” one has its merits too. Here’s today’s effort. "The Canal from Rehoboth to Lewes," oil on linen, 6" x 12."

And here's the painting from two years ago. "Boat on the Rehoboth-Lewes Canal," oil on panel, 11" x 14," 2017.

#78   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Geoff,

You are an inspiration and a trooper. I seem to always have an excuse weatherwise not to paint outdoors, which is lame. However, I also enjoy painting more in my studio, but I’m always glad I did it when I go plein air.

I really like your night scene and the swimming pool. The canal scene looks like a great spot for a continuing series, ala Monet.
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Geoff, they both are great! Frankly, I lean towards the older one because of more contrast and the blue. The new one is like a morning scene.

I decided to cut three gladioluses yesterday. But... painting them is more difficult than others I did recently. I ruined the white one first, too much titanium. Scraped off, added a bit more shadows. It is better now, but only that.

30x40 cm canvas pad. Plus lovely Georgian oils

I think I will do more flowers until the season ends. Never boring, although I do want to paint something else...
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

Tom and Ilya, thanks for your comments on my paintings. I kinda agree with Ilya that the "older" version of my canal painting is more interesting. The light on the canal was grayer yesterday, and I chose not to enliven it, which might've been a mistake. I do prefer the reflections in the new painting, though.

Ilya, very nice gladiolous painting. I know what you mean about the challenges of painting a white subject. Even when painting something white, we have to use white-mixed-with-something-else, only white itself only sparingly. Also, I agree, flowers are always fun to paint. I have more success with flowers in a pot or vase than flowers in a big garden, though.
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2019, 03:24 AM
Enthusiast

July daily painting #29: I'm home from vacation. We have lots of yummy fresh vegetables in the fridge, and I decided to paint three of them. I like the result, except that I wish I’d put them on a plate or bowl or something, to provide context. But it sure was fun to paint all those reds and greens. "Veggies," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#82   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 AM
Enthusiast

Any thoughts on a theme for August? I'll be doing the daily painting thing for another week, until I get to 100 days in a row, at which point I'm going to switch to "frequent painting" or "several-times-a-week painting" so that I can work on some bigger projects and practice drawing. But I'm still willing to host a daily painting theme if people want. Or anything else. Any suggestions? Plein air? Summer themes?

July daily painting #30: I posted some compositional sketches for this little pot last week, and today I finally got around to painting it. It’s a challenging subject, so I’m not close to finishing, especially as I haven’t even begun painting the two glasses in the background. But it’s a good start. Here’s a cropped photo, with a view of just the pot. "Silver pot (in progress)," detail, oil on linen, 5" x 7."

Here's a picture of the whole canvas, half of which is virtually untouched -- an unusual approach for me. I'm experimenting with Carol Marine's "do the important thing first" approach.

#83   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Hails from European Union

Ik, Tom, Sid & Grotius, inspiring work!
Grotius, you are brave to finish so many daily paintings. I like a lot your water canals and still lifes, everything you post here is interesting and well painted. Your nro 23 "Nocturne" is outstanding!

I have been training some paintings from photos lately. I need practice on certain areas of landscape and I can't fine suitable subjects around where I'm now so it has been photo references. I know it's not the same but I hope I get some answers.

"Aspen Grove" is plein air from this month and I decided to post it. There were lots, lots of trees on the view and I had to leave some out because I couldn't fit them all. This measures about 25x25x3 cm.

#84   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2019, 01:30 AM
Enthusiast

Glad to see you, Moscatel! And glad to hear you're working on your landscape skills. I really enjoyed your aspen painting. It has a nice glow to it!

I get busier in August, so after the first week I'm going to be painting more like 3 or 4 times a week. So I'm wondering, what theme for August? "Almost daily painting"? Or something different?

Daily painting #31: It occurred to me that this object is really more a pitcher than a “pot,” as I wrote last time. Anyway, I continued with the picture, this time focusing on one of the glasses behind the pitcher. I had only about an hour to paint, but I made decent progress. On to the other glass tomorrow. "Silver pitcher (in progress)," oil on linen, 5" x 7."

#85   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2019, 02:46 AM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Hails from European Union

Grotius, your "Silver pitcher (in progress)" is looking great! Thanks for commenting on mine.
About August I don't what theme could be but I won't be able to paint life every day because I need to continue my practices from reference photos. Besides I start charcoal cast classes in an atelier so will be busy with that twice a week. Will do only random plein airs in Aug.
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2019, 03:35 AM

Geiff, the veggies are really good. I am waiting for my own tomatoes to ripen soon, and thinking about them as of subjects too. And I like the reflections in the new still life.

Moscatel, yours is what is always exciting work with details on a small format. Yes, I see the brush strokes are loose, but they manage to show all those trees -- great. I am always struggling with details even on 40x50 cm. On the other hand, I tried 50x70 and it was too big for me.

As for the daily, just relax, guys. You managed to do a lot. Myself, I won't be able to do even weekly, with longer vacation with other plans and obligations.
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Here’s my plein air sunflower painting after a few touch ups in my studio. I’ve done three more sunflower paintings based on photos that I took while I was painting at the site. I’ll post those in the landscapes forum since they were studio paintings.
Attached Images

#88   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 AM
Enthusiast

Tom: that's just glorious! I hope you'll consider re-posting it in the August oil-from-life thread, which I'm about to start.

Ilya, thanks for your comments on my latest paintings. Yep, I think I'm going to change our theme for August, as I need a bit of a break from the daily painting thing.