Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery pear and cherries in pan pastels

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    b’anna

Hi all! I’ve been doing digital art for over 12 years and art in gerneral for my entire life. Last year decided to dust off my traditional mediums and get my hands dirty again. I have an obsession to try everything out there. I’ve been doing oils, WC and digital mostly and some oil pastels. But I recently started reading about pan pastels. THANKS to the people on the threads here, Lots of wonderful information!! I Couldn’t use soft pastels because of the dust. The pans are still dusty but the house situation has changed and I can keep hubby dust free.

This was first real attempt at a painting. I have been playing for about a week now and wanted to see if I could get some crisp edges. Thought I would drop by and see what the pros can suggest. thanks for looking.

Barb

Donna T

As someone who has yet to try pan pastels I am amazed at your crisp edges, Barb! What did you paint this on? It seems that hard edges would be difficult to obtain so I’m really impressed – and curious as to how you did this. It’s a nice still life!

Donna
            C&C Always Welcome

water girl

Welcome to the pastel forum. I too am amazed you can get such clean edges with the pans. I hope you’ll continue and share more of your work.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

It is wonderful. Bright colours. A simple painting of beauty.

Charles

b’anna

Thanks Folks! I am really loving these things! The first time I tried this it was all soft edges. When I try a new medium I want to make sure I can control it first before I go wild and experiment. I like to paint loose but I don’t want to be loose just because I can’t control the medium. So first I do these types of things then explore.

When I got these I bought a full set of the sponges and experimented with them. The sharp edge of any of the sponges, if you are slow and methodical, will give you the sharp edge. The one I used was long and rounded on both edges and flat on the sides. I think with these it really is a matter of how you apply it. BUT of course since I know nothing about pastels, I just didn’t know the sharp edges were difficult. LOL..Sometimes I love not having a clue what I am doing with new media because then I try everything and figure it out as I go along! Thank again!

Barb

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.