Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Oil painting: paper towels, rags, suggestions?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    gopaintin

I have been using Viva paper towels to wipe up my brushes and knives. I can go through a bunch in a day and they are getting more expensive.
        What do you use?
        I saw a post that used old telephone books but I do not know how he used them.
        How about newspaper?
        I’m not really cheap, I just want to be thrifty. It is not fun putting my funds into throwaway paper products when there are paints and brushes to buy. As we all, know you can not have too many paints or brushes.
        Thanks

dorith

Instead of throwing old t-shirts, table cloths, etc. into the trash bin or donating them, try cutting them apart into rags – that way you can toss, when they’re yucky. And cotton ones work the best.

Or, if t-shirts are not part of your life, try finding them cheap at Goodwill or some other Thrift store. I can get about 6-8 rags out of one shirt.

Coming to think of it, you might also try buying an old sheet (obviously: find some that aren’t disgusting…) at Goodwill – that should last you loooong.

gopaintin

Dorith, Good ideas. I need to head to the thrift store. I will get fresh T’s for myself and use my many paint splattered shirts as rags. When I grow up I will learn to only wear painting clothes when painting.

mutantsloth

I get left over towels, linen and sheets from estate sales and tear / cut them up. They throw out so much…. if you ask they might be happy to let you have the unsaleable linens… or sell you whats left at the end of a sale for cheap.

gopaintin

Mutantsloth, Good Idea. I go to Estate Sales all the time but did not want to pay for good linens to use as rags. I will speak with the sale coordinator to see if they would give/sell me the unsalable rags. Thanks

Merlion

I use kitchen paper towels for getting excess oil colors off my brushes before thorough cleaning with turpentine and soap. It is a squeezing and up-down bending action between my fingers, i.e. not just a simple wiping action. I don’t throw the paper towel away after each cleaning as the same paper towel can brush clean more than once.

At the same time, I have a cloth towel rag handy to clean off oil colors that get on my fingers, say before washing my hands with soap and water. The cloth rag is not thrown away after it gets too dirty. It is washed and reused more than once.

Merlion

Incidentally, with this method, I also do not waste turpentine. The same turpentine are kept in a jar with lid, and reused many many times. The small amount of oil colors gradually sink to the bottom of the jar and do not interfere with subsequent brush cleaning.

Corcoranart

Rags and old t-shirts that became artist clothes and then became rags!

I use a load of rags, each painting about 4 A4 size rags ! in oils the cleaning process takes a lot, so i snatch some kitchen papper roll stuff and that’s it. Acrylics you can wash the rags clean as long as it does go dry the paint.

You learn at LOT when you’re father is an artist, in Montmatre Paris, and you’re mother does watercolours and your brother is also an artist…and you’ve been to art college too. I learnt mostly from watching the artists paint on the Place du Tertre back in the 1970’s 80’s.

I use doctors throw away latex gloves about 100 pairs every 6 weeks. I paint 3 big formats a week. It’s average production rate. My father somedays would hammer out 4 paintings around 24″ x 36″ in figurative. They paint very fast on the Place du Tertre mostly with Palette knives then, the details with what the locals call a ‘trenard’ a very thin long paintbrush for details.

Rags rags rags… I use Jay cloths in 100metre rolls that cut off every 15 inches… great stuff. The only dumb thing I do is pour the turps down the SINK !!! talk about pollution… I know, I know it’s unacceptable.

Merlion

Rags rags rags… I use Jay cloths in 100metre rolls that cut off every 15 inches… great stuff. The only dumb thing I do is pour the turps down the SINK !!! talk about pollution… I know, I know it’s unacceptable.

I wash my oil painting rag cloth and reuse them again, until they are really torn and have to be thrown away. Of course I have them washed by hand separately from my clothing, and certainly not in my washing machine. :)

I don’t pour away my turpentine often as I keep it in a jar with screw lid, and reuse it. When I have to pour away some turp down the drain, I open the tap to dilute it when being poured. This is still bad, but not as bad as undiluted turp.

I use the t-shirt material from my husbands old undershirts and old cotton flannel baby blankets (a heavier rag when you need them).

I also save the old telephone books. All you really have to do is have the cover cut off at the glue and leave on your palette table. Then you wipe your brush (or fold over a corner an wipe both sides. When the top page is full simply peel off the page at the glue side and you have another clean surface. Our yellow pages (we get 2 free a year around here and with the internet never really use them for the phone) were really just too big for my table or palette, so, I’ve split these in half through the glue and made shorter stacks, but, this is a pain. They do last a while, though.

On a side note, I found an amazing thing to clean your hands of the oil paint. (I’m really messy, so you may not need this.) But, I hated those chemicals on my hands and they were drying out. I had this old bottle of creamy baby oil that was given to me with my littlest. It’s made by Baby Magic and looks like hand lotion, but is made with mineral oil. I just sqeeze out a dime size and rub it all over my hands, then wipe them with one of my rags. It works REALLY well, and my hands have done so much better since. A regular bottle will probably last 6 months to a year.

http://keech-smithgallery.com/[/url]

I learned this from my art teacher. Cut up phone books and/or newspaper works really well. Phone book will probably work better because their ink doesn’t rub off. I just cut the pages in to 4th: half sheets will be a good size too. I do more of a fold and squeeze to get paint out of my brush several times. Although they look thin, but they soak up the oil pretty well. And well phone books are free really. You’ll feel better because you are reusing things that might be thrown away otherwise. Furthermore, there is always more unwanted phone books lying around at random places. SO there is practically unlimited supply of them.

Kathy Hodge

Rags are much nicer to use than paper towels, they last longer and are more durable. Like others on this forum, I turn my old clothes into painting cloths, then the painting clothes become rags. So the original clothes are reincarnated 2 times!

gopaintin

everyone, Thanks A Bunch For Your Information.
                                                I Learned Something From The Decorative Painters. They Like To Take Classes In Groups But Some Have Been Allergic To Turpentine. They Keep A Small Jar Of Baby Oil On The Table. Dip The Brush Into The Oil Then Place It Onto The Paper Towel. Just Dipping It Does Not Dirty The Oil. It Cleans The Brush Between Color Switches And Before Final Cleaning With Murphy’s Oil Soap.

Psypomp

I feel nervous about throwing away disposable paper towels with oils & mediums on them, so I use an old t-shirt instead.

v Art & Process Blog v
                                                    DianaEDS

I have really learned a lot here also. One thing that I do is to always wear an apron or one of my husband’s old shirts when painting. I tend to be VERY messy when painting-all I have to do to get paint all over me is to sit down in front of my work and the paints seem to jump on me! The apron or work shirts help to save my clothes a bit here but I also have a “habit” of funding myself either wiping fingers, hands and yes, even brushes (not those loaded with oils, however)right on my apron! After a while, my painting aprons, as apposed to my kitchen ones, start to take on an abstract design of it’s own!!
                                                        I am going to now look around my house for some old phonebooks!
                                                        Diana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.