Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luvy

Daughter asked me to do this for her daughter’s more grown up room. Doing it in dogs. Daughter is a dog trainer. I didn’t center too well. And no way to crop it. So not thrilled with that.
        Pastels and pastel pencils on suede matboard 8 x 10
        I live in an RV full time now We travel all summer. So limited room to store things and got rid of a lot of my art supplies including my big paper cutter.

Luvy
        Mmm_Pasta

Centering portraits and even sizing them can be difficult. One can run off the page, make it too small, or get off centered haha This is a good portrait, though. The negative space from it being off centered does add some interest. My eye goes back and forth to it and the dog. There is perhaps something you can do in that space, but it is great the way it is. Good job!

water girl

As artists, I think we can be too critical of our own work. Relax, Luvy, she will love it!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

franglais

I actually kinda like the fact that it’s a bit off center. Beautiful portrait!

Mike

I also like that it is not totally centered.
                    But I agree if the top was a bit cropped it would gain intensity.
                    Most art suppliers have large paper cutters for customers to cut large papers they want to buy. At least here. Or a normal cutter knife cutting along a glass edge, that is what I do mostly.

Esther

nha63

The off center format keeps your eye moving around the piece; he has an adorable expression, and I like the way his nose seems to pop off the page. Nice work.

Luvy

Thanks for looking and comments. I was surprised that the USPS won’t put a fragile sticker on the painting. I sent it in a frame to protect it plus cardboard over the face. They make no attempt at protecting it. Said I should pack it between two pieced of plywood. That would cost a fortune. So crossing fingers it gets to daughter in once piece. Hubby took it to mail it. I would have said fine I’ll go to ups then. Grrrr

I ‘m glad people don’t think the space is to off putting. And NHA thanks for the comment on her nose. Noses are hard to do without them looking like pig noses LOL

Luvy
                          Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.