WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:58 PM

Travís sorta 2020 doodles

Going through some old junk I realized I had a bunch of mostly unused sketchbooks, so I figured why not use them for this place. Not quite 2020 yet but I might as well get some practice in. Maybe Santa blessed me with some art magic or something.

To start off with, my fatherís got the flu and got pretty much my entire family sick since they were all together for Xmas, so that gave me the idea to try and draw the guy who wrote the song ĎSanta Clause has got the aidsí. First time trying, and Iím falling back on old habits to just try and copy every exact line of the reference Iím using so itís kind of way out of proportion and stuff, and I decided to try to fix it way too late. Iíll just consider it practice for next year. :P

Iím not sure what the policies on links to other sites are but perhaps I could link my deviantart if anyone wants to see any of my previous stuff? If not thatís alright.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2020, 01:27 AM

Re: Travís sorta 2020 doodles

Suppose Iíll update with the last few attempts at drawing Iíve done for 2019 before I do my first for this year. Iíve got one piece thatís just scribbles, one silly one for Boxing Day, a too-normal Francis Bacon inspired piece, a few musicians, one being a fictional character from the game Lollipop Chainsaw and the other two being Anthony Kiedis and Freddie Mercury, the latter of which I just sort of gave up on for the time being. Lastly thereís a few concepts for characters for a comic or visual novel Iíve had in my head for some time now, though Iíve been split between doing more research for it and just shelving the idea until I get a bit better practicing with other ideas.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2020, 09:03 PM

Been a few days, feel like I should update with a few things. Havenít bothered uploading every piece Iíve worked on since last time, just a few I think were the best of my attempts. Another artist(this time from Talking Heads), one friend I did as a ninja that was more of a silly doodle, another doodle of some macho guy at a gym, and an actual concept for another ninja-ish character that Iím not really sure where to go with - guess it really depends how serious or dumb or fantastical or surreal I want her story to be. I feel like Iíve got male anatomy down to an ok level, in part thanks to how absurd Jojo characters can be(in the comic page with the giant cat) but the female figure still escapes me a bit.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Such a wide range of work. Thanks for sharing
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 PM

Thank you I suppose I try to keep things fresh by doing a variety of different subjects...though maybe I could work more on environments because I do do a lot of people. Have been trying to learn more animal stuff at least.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 11:05 PM

Figured I could do a small update. Still trying to draw once a day, but not as much worth sharing; a lot of it is redesigns or silly doodles or just scraps.

Here, Iíve got a couple characters for one story thatís more or less two shows mashed together, though by now I think Iíve fleshed it out a bit. The other, Ethyl, is supposed to be some spy or agent or something, but I donít think I have as many good ideas for her and it kind of shows. The others are both fanart - one of J.J. Macfield and her doll, F.K., two characters from a game made by White Owls called ĎThe Missingí. The other is sort of based off of a meme, both having to do with Ed Edd n Eddy and Dragon Ball Z. Very distinct cartoons but I tried to put both together anyway to see what would happen.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:58 PM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

Trav, these are so expressive. Keep going with these.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 09:02 AM

Thanks Sandra! I actually just thought of posting an update. I donít want to spam, so I try to wait until I have a few things to share, but since getting my new tablet this past week Iíve been pretty excited to work with it every spare moment - despite having been terribly ill and even now having a bad cough that just wonít leave.

It was a lot bigger than I anticipated. :P I think I may have to get a bigger space to work in.

Probably not going to be the last of my actual sketches, especially seeing as Iím going to have to relearn stuff about this art program before I try more serious stuff. For now Iím just messing with different effects and tools and junk.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2020, 04:18 AM

Over the last few days Iíve likely been going a little overboard with trying to practice a lot of the digital stuff Iíve got at my disposal, and I think some turned out better than others. Either way I look at everything as a learning experience. Just hope I donít get too burned out - probably a good idea to at least take a day off once in a while.

My most recent was a bit of a lazy mess but there seems to be one or two people that liked it. Otherwise I tried doing some existing characters, a couple with new videos of the process, though they arenít so detailed. One with Link and Fi from the Zelda series in a bit of a different style that I really like but unfortunately doesnít seem to have got much attention. Lastly thereís ĎDramekí or, more recently settled on Dramyd, who is to be the main character of my comic. Doing more research on some general history of Bohemia and just your average mythology and folklore has made my story quite a bit more fleshed out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yun9WqL7Y
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VH5exdpxtf0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVqnXx4vUcE

Not sure I may continue doing videos, as Iíve done in the past. Initially thought theyíd be good for analyzing the way I work...and well, I guess itís done just that. But I think it just reinforces some bad habits of trying to rush myself.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2020, 05:23 PM

Bit of a smaller update just for Valentinesí. Drew mostly related stuff, from Eros to my friend over in China who thankfully is still doing ok as far as I know. Pretty hard time finding the right word in her language to describe to her what a muse is, but I think I got what is probably a decent one. As for ďsanikĒ, well, the Sonic movie comes to theaters today. Sadly I wonít get to see it until Sunday, but the story with this picture is basically how awful they made him look in the initial trailers and how they had to delay the film to spend $5 million in budget to fix it.

I can never seem to get her quite right, though...maybe itís the filter :P
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 AM

Another week has gone by, but unfortunately I have not got much done, for having had some crazy hours as well as just general life and family stuff. Got to see my brother and my niece, whom we sort of had a belated Christmas and birthday party for both of them. Saw the Sonic movie, not great or anything but better than I expected and finally nice to have something good about the franchise after such a long time of it just being terrible.

Also saw Doctor Sleep - much more sophisticated but at the same time I feel as if itís not as good as the Shining, as it just feels far more conventional which is kind of odd after having learned that the flashbacks were actually recreated rather than ripped from the original movie. Even so, overall I enjoyed it. Thing is, I havenít read either of the books. I remember the first work of Kingís I read was probably over a decade ago, ĎThinnerí, and then after that, the gargantuan ĎITí. But I think it was the more grounded stories like ĎCujoí or ĎMiseryí that got me really frightened but also felt more touching. Suppose that might be the difference between these two movies for me; I felt like the viewers relationship with the Torrance family was far more intimate within the isolated, quiet and imposing halls of the Overlook, with the more supernatural elements being borne of the more intrinsic fears and dread of each of them, rather than being the center of the story. In any case, perhaps one day I will read both and see for myself if they are deeper, and in the meantime use them for inspiration.

There is one other thing Iíve revisited briefly and plan to get back to over the long weekend ahead. Killer7, a game that is almost one of a kind, a psychological thriller at least to describe it in some way. Not much unlike these movies but still very distinct, and far more difficult to summarize, but itís perhaps been my second favorite game overall since I first played it likely back around 2006 or 7.

But enough of that, letís get to posting what I did draw:

I did more but this is just what I thought was worth sharing of them. A couple simple concepts for my comic that still likely have a ton of changes to go through, especially the blindfolded man as heís just too close to an existing character I was thinking of at the time.

Steve Harvey there is a bit of a joke, considering Jim Carrey as Eggman in the Sonic film. Eggman Nega is a character from a more obscure Sonic game, who is a sort of alternate universe counterpart, so Harvey was the first celebrity I thought of that might fit the role if it ever happened. :P

Lastly was one I made specifically for trying my hand at Redbubble, a site where you can sell art for prints on different products. Totally not Sonic at all. They do most of the work, so I guess the deal is just that you only actually make a small percentage of the earnings, but I figured some is better than nothing right now as Iím trying to build a reputation and audience. Perhaps it will push me to try and make more original artwork.