WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa
Re: Design your own album cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
The Soviets can't admit that in spite of their superior political system they were caught with their pants down by the invading Germans. It would also be tremendously embarrassing to acknowledge that the vastly smaller nation of Germany was able to push so far into Russia while simultaneously running a war on the Western front. I read several narratives of the war that suggested that the Russian people almost embraced the German invaders after years of Stalin... and might have continued to do so had the Nazis not waged such a brutal war against the Russian people.

This is particularly true of the Ukrainian people. A lot of them welcomed the Germans as liberators, but soon changed their minds.

Quote:
Of course, the Eroica was originally dedicated to Napoleon Bonaparte, who Beethoven believed embodied the democratic and anti-monarchical ideals of the French Revolution. In the autumn of 1804, Beethoven withdrew his dedication of the third symphony after Buonaparte had declared himself Emperor, whereupon the composer broke into a rage and exclaimed, "So he is no more than a common mortal! Now, too, he will tread under foot all the rights of Man, indulge only his ambition; now he will think himself superior to all men, become a tyrant!" Beethoven went to the table, seized the top of the title-page, tore it in half and threw it on the floor.

And thank goodness he didn't throw the whole score in the fire - what a loss that would have been!

[quote]I've always preferred Shostakovich' "works for the drawer" as he termed them: compositions that were less public... less intended to salute the Soviets: the cello sonatas, the violin sonatas, the string quartets, the crazy opera, The Nose, and the 24 Preludes and Fugues. [/qupte]

His chamber music is indeed very fine, though I like a great deal of his more public work too, Soviet or not.

Quote:
The last work, for example, offended by being overly "formalist" when Art/Music "should" pander to the correct emotions of the masses.

The funny thing is, a foam-at-the-mouth capitalist would argue the same thing: if music doesn't make money, it has no right to exist. By such argument, only popular music is any good. Of course, a great deal of classical music, as it turns out, is very popular indeed.

Quote:
Worse yet, it was an homage to J.S. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier and Bach was German and much of his music was religious. In many ways, Shostakovich just one more casualty of Stalin and the Soviets. On the other hand, his great Russian compatriot, Stravinsky, who had the good sense to leave Russia and never look back, produced what are arguably his finest works during his "Russian Period": Petrouschka, The Firebird, The Rite of Spring, Le Rossignol, and L'Histoire du soldat.

Another casualty was Rachmaninoff, who composed almost nothing after he left Russia, though there was of course late burst of activity.

Well, my old laptop gave up the ghost just this morning, taking with it my remaining fake album covers. I'm not sure I have them backed up anywhere. But yours are way better anyway. :-)
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2019, 09:05 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Design your own album cover

Brian... surely you know enough to back everything up... in multiple places? Hopefully, you get up and running again soon. In the meantime, it would be nice if some other WC members participated as well. The self-designed CDs need not be classical music. Here I'm posting a composer who straddled the line between classical music, folk and popular music:

#93   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2019, 11:57 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Brian... surely you know enough to back everything up... in multiple places?

Oh, I have an external hard disk - which is also malfunctioning. I have learned that the way to deal with the issue is to simply not get too attached to digital things, because they are fleeting. :-)
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2019, 11:42 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Another reason I love my iPad. Not only can I take a vast library of images with me wherever I go and even edit these in my studio if need be... but I also know that everything is backed up on a cloud. Even if my iPad were stolen I could simply access this external collection and download to a new device.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2019, 12:27 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Another reason I love my iPad. Not only can I take a vast library of images with me wherever I go and even edit these in my studio if need be... but I also know that everything is backed up on a cloud. Even if my iPad were stolen I could simply access this external collection and download to a new device.

Alas, on my income I simply cannot afford yet another monthly expense, plus, I have a cap on my internet data, so I also cannot freely upload and download like there's no tomorrow.

Really important stuff I back up by simply mailing it to myself on Gmail. The rest I find I don't really miss when it disappears. We get way too attached to our clutter.

I took it as a sign from heaven: I am now also on a spree of decluttering my physical living space. It's just amazing how much junk we accumulate in a few years.
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 11:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Design your own album cover

There's something "childlike" to Mozart... especially to his piano sonatas... which were often composed for the young daughters of the various aristocracy that he was giving lessons to. Of course, there is also something childlike to Balthus. In this instance, the model was the young Japanese translator who would later become his wife. The lacquer cabinet suggested an early piano-forte to me... and Balthus' Japanese model brought to mind Mitsuko Uchida, the great pianist known for her recordings of Mozart's piano works.
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2019, 12:02 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
There's something "childlike" to Mozart... especially to his piano sonatas... which were often composed for the young daughters of the various aristocracy that he was giving lessons to.

Which just goes to show what the standard of playing was at the time. Presumably aristocratic daughters had little other function than to eventually serve as ornaments to their husbands, and had lots of time to practice. Nowadays it is pretty much the exception for people to learn to play an instrument.

Quote:
Of course, there is also something childlike to Balthus. In this instance, the model was the young Japanese translator who would later become his wife. The lacquer cabinet suggested an early piano-forte to me... and Balthus' Japanese model brought to mind Mitsuko Uchida, the great pianist known for her recordings of Mozart's piano works.

A fine bunch of juxtapositions indeed. :-)
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
This game was played some years ago on the TalkClassical board, and I noticed that I still have the covers I designed in a folder, so why not try it here as well, seeing as it is not only a musical thing, but also an artistic one.

The idea is to create an album cover for a piece or collection of music, using whatever art or photo you think is suitable (or perhaps hilariously unsuitable! for how to measure ring size).

This thread may be more suited to the Speakeasy, so mods feel free to move it there, but I post it here so everyone will see it.

To get things going, and as example of the kind of thing I mean, one of the covers in my folder:

Art: Max Beckmann, Self-portrait with Horn.

I look forward to seeing other members' creations. :-)

Hi,

Beatifull job

Regards
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:36 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

A magnet to men, the enigmatic heroine of Alban Berg's second opera, Lulu, the bisexual vixen tears through Berg's second opera like a hot knife through gouda, destroying the lives of almost every other character she encounters in the course of her sexual adventures. The opera is based upon the same Frank Wedekind play as the 1928 Louise Brooks silent movie, Pandora's Box. It revels in an uninhibited sexuality that inadvertently causes the deaths of her first and second husbands (struck down by a heart attack and driven to suicide, respectively), before she shoots her third husband dead herself. She then escapes from jail by impersonating her lesbian lover, and finally meets her own death in London, working a prostitute, and is murdered by her last client, who turns out to be Jack the Ripper.

I thought I'd try to revive this thread before it dies.
  #100   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 12:20 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
A magnet to men, the enigmatic heroine of Alban Berg's second opera, Lulu, the bisexual vixen tears through Berg's second opera like a hot knife through gouda, destroying the lives of almost every other character she encounters in the course of her sexual adventures. The opera is based upon the same Frank Wedekind play as the 1928 Louise Brooks silent movie, Pandora's Box. It revels in an uninhibited sexuality that inadvertently causes the deaths of her first and second husbands (struck down by a heart attack and driven to suicide, respectively), before she shoots her third husband dead herself. She then escapes from jail by impersonating her lesbian lover, and finally meets her own death in London, working a prostitute, and is murdered by her last client, who turns out to be Jack the Ripper.

I once got a CD with various works by Berg as gift; among other things, it had the Lulu Suite, with excerpts from the opera. Including Lulu's scream as she gets murdered, and on this particular recording, it was no mere "aah!" as I have since heard on some recordings. It's a sustained, absolutely bone-piercing shriek that makes one hair stand on end. Really powerful stuff, but it also made us laugh a bit. Yikes!

Anyway, I have found that I can tolerate Berg better than Schoenberg. I also rather liked his piano sonata, of which I had a recording (it was bundled up with the Liszt and Bartok sonatas).

Quote:
I thought I'd try to revive this thread before it dies.

It is indeed a rather nice thread, if I say so myself. :-)
Your Lulu cover seems very appropriate to the subject matter. I should make time to also contribute something again...
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 02:20 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Sometimes record companies create somewhat strange album cover designs, in which the picture doesn't seem to have anything to do with the music. I decided to do something like that here. Well, the flower's shape reminds me of a wind instrument, and the bee's buzzing of an oboe... :-)

A bit amateurish; I didn't have time today to come up with something that looks more like a real design. I just wanted to show off my cool photo, and pay homage to a certain member here with the entirely fake performer information.

Last edited by brianvds : 02-13-2020 at 02:25 AM.
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 05:36 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Trust me you don't want me playing the oboe... or any other instrument for that matter... although there was a time when I did play guitar at a sub-mediocre level... even bought a Fender Stratocaster. I still have it in the closet in deep storage. Finishing grade school I knew I wanted to delve deeper into the arts. It quickly became obvious that as much as I loved it and studied it... music was not my strong suit.
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 06:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

What year is the Strat?
“The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” ~Ernest Hemingway
  #104   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2020, 03:06 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Trust me you don't want me playing the oboe... or any other instrument for that matter... although there was a time when I did play guitar at a sub-mediocre level... even bought a Fender Stratocaster. I still have it in the closet in deep storage. Finishing grade school I knew I wanted to delve deeper into the arts. It quickly became obvious that as much as I loved it and studied it... music was not my strong suit.

I learned from personal experience that having a reasonably good ear does not mean one is cut out to be an instrumentalist. As I recall, you once said you played Beethoven's Moonlight sonata on the guitar, which is more than I ever managed. I could never make any progress at all on guitar (though I did manage a fairly solid rendition of that famous first movement on piano).

But I found the hours of practice required to really master an instrument unpleasant. It is not like that with everyone. My brother's one son is quite solid on the guitar, and he reports that he absolutely loves practice, and the better he gets at playing a piece the more he loves it. With me, by the time I finally got to play a piece without too many mistakes, I was so bored with it I could scream.

Perhaps I chose the wrong instrument - I think if I had to learn an instrument now, it would be the flute or recorder rather than any of the more glamorous ones. :-)