WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 04:23 PM

Question Cheapest Framing Options?

Hiya,

I'm a student/hobbyist artist who wants to start putting some of my paintings in shows. From the one show I've entered in the past, I know that places usually want paintings framed before they show them.

Does anyone here know the cheapest places in Southern California to get a painting framed? Like between Aaron Bros, Michaels, or other art/framing stores?

Or if there are any places online to order frames, or tips/tricks to making it cheaper? I know bargain framing is a gamble, but I don't think it really matters in this case because I'm not selling the piece.

The dimensions are 48 x 36 x 1 1/2". Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 05:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: Cheapest Framing Options?

Framing isn't difficult, particularly with acrylic and oil paintings. I frame all my own stuff using frames purchased online. What type of work are you wanting to frame?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 08:25 AM
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

As already mentioned, framing is not that difficult and you will want to learn to do your own since that is how you save the most money. Here is an online guide my company has created and the assembly videos can show you what to do when you get a frame: https://www.framedestination.com/how-to

I just realized you mentioned your artwork is 1-1/2" thick. Is that a canvas gallery wrap? If it is then those are particular easy to frame with a floater frame:
https://www.framedestination.com/cus...er-frames.html
Here are example floater frame assembly instructions.

I would recommend not using big box stores for framing since their framing quality and knowledge will be real hit and miss. Instead I would try to build a relationship with a local custom picture framer that is certified by PPFA. If you are doing your own framing you can buy ready made frames from them inexpensively, especially when they have sales. However, for consistency, larger or more custom sizes you will need to order from an online custom frame supplier. Online suppliers like mine also run plenty of sales. If your artwork is real large you may need to look into a local place since the shipping can get real expensive, although my company can ship floater frames un-assembled to save on shipping, and assembly is not difficult.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Silver Spring, MD

Any custom frame you buy that size is going to be very expensive. If it's a gallery wrapped canvas, you can paint the edges and display it without a frame. That's far and away the cheapest option. Next cheapest would be to buy some inexpensive molding and build the frame yourself.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

If the intended venue requires a frame or you don't like the look of a gallery wrap (I think they often make a painting look cheap - Like the artist is saying -This painting isn't worth the cost and effort of providing a frame.) there are less costly alternatives to having custom frames made.

If you decide to frame it, I would suggest starting out with a pre-cut frame ordered online, that you assemble yourself. The shipping will be less expensive since it can go in a tube rather than a huge 3x4 foot box and you will save a ton of money over a local frame shop. What I often do is use the same frame over and over with different paintings in it for shows and gallery sales. That way if it doesn't sell I can put another painting in it. If it sells, GREAT! - I can order another frame.

Here is one example of a metal floater frame that you assemble yourself. With some searching, you might find something you like for less money.

https://www.pictureframes.com/custom...m-frame-718blk

If you already have the tools and the skills, making your own frame from moulding or lumber is going to be the lowest cost but it is not an easy task for someone who has not worked with wood, to cut and assemble their own frame..
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 10:12 PM
Springfield Mo

Hails from United States

For inexpensive frames I shop the second hand stores. I go with my measurements and a tape measure. Typically I will pay between 5 and 10 dollars for a frame. The last 16x 20 frame I purchased was 7 dollars.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

Your painting is 36"x48"x1.5". Unlikely you're going to find a thrift store frame in that size. If it were mine I would do this - buy two pieces of this 1"x2"x8' trim
https://www.homedepot.com/p/PrimeLin...2909/304805987

This will cost you a total of $7.10. Cut two 50"x36" lengths if your painting is vertical or two 48"x38" lengths if your painting is horizontal. You can use a common hand saw if that's all you have. Paint or stain as desired.

Attach the pieces directly to the sides of the canvas with wood screws. Mitre corners are really not necessary for this size of painting and type of framing.

so for less than $10 and 1/2hr. work you will have you piece framed.

(Note that if you need to pre-cut the pieces first to fit in your car cut the piece at around 55 inches NOT in half)

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM

Last edited by theBongolian : 01-25-2020 at 04:35 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 09:25 PM
A WC! Legend
In the middle of Michigan's thumb

Hails from United States

I paint small so finding used frames is much easier for me, but you still might try Salvation Army or goodwill stores. I find frames for $.99 to $3.99 which includes glass.
Bill

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast

correction to my last post: the dimensions for the homemade frame should be

for a vertical 37.5" x 48"
for a horizontal 36" x 49.5"

I had forgotten to account for 1" thick wood actually being .75"

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM