Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art Banff Mountain and Lake… My first true Abstract!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bobbybirds

Okay so today I took the plunge and made what I consider to be my first truly abstract piece! I am not disappointed for my first painting like this. I did this in oils on a 12×16 canvas board.

I really was unsure how to begin so used a photo as inspiration and abstracted it in a way that made sense to me. It is basically a radically deconstructed view of the mountains surrounding Morraine Lake in Banff Alberta about 1.5 hours from my house. My lovely wife is a very accomplished quilter and I took a page from her book in its creation.

Anyhow, I would truly appreciate any c&c as this is my very first and I want to know what works for it and what maybe does not. I had a ton of fun no matter what and killed the entire day doing this so I am happy! Lol!

Here it is!

Teddy

Very well put together.. the colors all make sense.. fun to see

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
            ✶ 
            ✮ 
            ✧  
            ✶ 
                   ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                       teds

bobbybirds

Very well put together.. the colors all make sense.. fun to see

Thank you sir!

Greggo

Deconstructing photos is one of my favorite ways to create.
                    Just taking from the things that I like about a composition and creating a representation.

There is no right or wrong way to do this.
                    What you did seems balanced and a good composition.

If I had a comment I guess I would like to see your lines either be perfect and the same OR irregular and loose. But this still works for me

Great first piece…and this could become a quilt easily.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

bobbybirds

Deconstructing photos is one of my favorite ways to create.
                        Just taking from the things that I like about a composition and creating a representation.

There is no right or wrong way to do this.
                        What you did seems balanced and a good composition.

If I had a comment I guess I would like to see your lines either be perfect and the same OR irregular and loose. But this still works for me

Great first piece…and this could become a quilt easily.

I definitely do not have a steady hand and doing this all freehand was a challenge. It was more an experiment in seeing where I could go with it. Moving forward I will need to try different ways of coming to the same spot I think… Thanks for your comments!

bobbybirds

Here is the photo reference I used for inspiration if anyone is interested!

Greggo

Spectacular photo!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

bobbybirds

Spectacular photo!

I agree, but definitely not mine… Just one I used for inspiration.

That is a stunning photo! Lucky you living near to such scenery. Your creation is most excellent. I love all the angular shapes and geometric design. I can’t do it so admire anyone who can. Hope to see more!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

willow33

Definitely has a “mountain landscape” feeling to it!

bobbybirds

Thank you both!:)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.