Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lins

This is only my second portrait. I used a grid for the first so found this one much more difficult particularly as it is also tilted. It was looking slightly better than this but then I made the mistake of darkening the right cheek and have now gone too far. Whoops!

ntl

Such a wonderful touch! You’ve made him very expressive, so alive I expect him to start giggling!

Linda

I do not think you have gone too far. Too early to say that, beautiful picture and I am sure it will not look so dark when you continue with the shading and such. Good work so far. Love to see your progress.

Just Do it!
                Lins

Thank you for your encouragement. I am practising and learning with every mistake.

tidal

Proportional dividers every time better than grid they allow much more natural flow for artists than grid ..I had to get mine 2nd hand as they don’t make em like they used to , mainly plastic now but if you can get the original deffo worth the investment

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

artistjames

You are going for the “bare bones” approach where less truly is more. For that reason it is very important that the few lines making up the character of the piece be DEAD-ON RIGHT. The only way I know to do this is to have plenty of cheap paper and do a lot of quick sketches until you have a solid grasp on the basic elements of whatever picture you happen to be working on.

Also remember that almost nothing in artwork is random, down to the smallest detail. In your pictures, every little bit truly has added meaning!

artistjames

After reflecting on this a little more, I feel you are doing the minimal approach well. At the same time there should be a little definition to the hair which is not there now, and probably it could use some definition to the eyebrows, even if it is just a subtle accent. Right now the eyes appear to be staring out of empty space like a ghost.

If you move away from the picture this is easier to see. I hope it makes some sense!

Lins

Thank you artistjames, that makes perfect sense now I look at it again. I have moved on to another portrait now as I was dissatisfied with this one, but may go back at some point and take on everyone’s comments. Thanks for looking.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.