Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Vallejo limited palette setup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Riccardo451

Good Morning,

I would like to set up a limited palette with split-primaries using Vallejo Model colors but I have some difficulties because they does not use the pure artist’s pigment. For Now I have found the following that might work:

Cold
        – Magenta 70.910
        – Cyan 70.961 or 70.844 or 70.840
        – Lemon Yellow 70.952

Hot
        -Ultramarine Blue 70.839
        -Warm red 70.910 ??
        -Flat Yellow 70.953 ??

To these I will add:
        -Black 70.950
        -White 70.951
        -Burnt Umber 70.941

Could someone help me choosing a right Cyan and checking if the other colors are right? I would like to use this palette to increase my knowledge on color theory. As a darkening agent is enough using Burnt umber or Black (70.950 is a cold bluish tint black) or I might need another brown?

Thank you in advance to all!

Riccardo

Patrick1

That’s a good color selection if you want a wide color range. Do they list the pigments for these colors? I would not use paints that don’t list pigments. Also, if your main goal is color mixing potential, it’s best to avoid colors with white in the formulation. If the Cyan is some form of Phthalo Blue (it likely is) and doesn’t contain white, it’s good.

Riccardo451

Thank you for your answer,
                I’ve searched online for the pigment used in their colors and I’ve found a list:

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/c344a5302d2c93d3c59fc8f205370a4e/Pigments-used-in-ModelColor.pdf

but unfortunately they don’t specify the composition of each color.

I would use them to paint miniatures for this reason I was thinking to buy Vallejos and not artist colors.

Riccardo451

Quick update,
                    at the end I’ve bough the following colors:

Hot tones
                    -Ultramarine Blue 70.839
                    -Vermillion 70.909
                    -Flat Yellow 70.953

Cold tones
                    -Light turquoise 70.840
                    -Magenta 70.945
                    -Lemon Yellow 70.952

Utilities
                    -White 70.951
                    -Black 70.950
                    -Burnt Umber 70.941

pretty happy with them for now but I have to learn a lot

AylaCale

I have been wondering this myself, and I am so glad I found this post! What do you think of them? Do they make any muddy colors? Do the colors represent the split palette (see below)

Split primary palette:

Cool:
                        Magenta or Quin Rose/Quin Red
                        Lemon yellow or hanse yellow light
                        Phthalo blue or Prussian

Warm:
                        Pyroll Red or Vermillion
                        Indian yellow
                        Ultramarine

Patrick1

I have been wondering this myself, and I am so glad I found this post! What do you think of them? Do they make any muddy colors? Do the colors represent the split palette (see below)

Split primary palette:

Cool:
                            Magenta or Quin Rose/Quin Red
                            Lemon yellow or hanse yellow light
                            Phthalo blue or Prussian

Warm:
                            Pyroll Red or Vermillion
                            Indian yellow
                            Ultramarine

That’s a standard split-primary palette. Not much you can’t do with that palette as far as mixing potential goes, but an earth color (brown) might make life easier.

AylaCale

Quick update,
                                at the end I’ve bough the following colors:

Hot tones
                                -Ultramarine Blue 70.839
                                -Vermillion 70.909
                                -Flat Yellow 70.953

Cold tones
                                -Light turquoise 70.840
                                -Magenta 70.945
                                -Lemon Yellow 70.952

Utilities
                                -White 70.951
                                -Black 70.950
                                -Burnt Umber 70.941

pretty happy with them for now but I have to learn a lot

My main concern with the colors you’ve chosen, is with the light turquoise. Do you find that the light turquoise makes muddy colors? I wish there was a video of using a limited vallejo palette on youtube, just to see if the colors truly make a split primary palette with no muddy colors. How do you like them? Update us please! :D

Patrick1

My main concern with the colors you’ve chosen, is with the light turquoise. Do you find that the light turquoise makes muddy colors? I wish there was a video of using a limited vallejo palette on youtube, just to see if the colors truly make a split primary palette with no muddy colors. How do you like them? Update us please! :D

This question is not for me but …

Light turquoise is a viable option as a green-blue in a split-primary palette. Years ago I used it paired with Ultramarine Blue as my ‘split blues’ and, as you can imagine, it provided a wide range of colors, especially bright mixed greens. If it contains white, it might make some dark mixes muddy (but bearing in mind that muddyness is about how a color is used, not the color itself), and you won’t have the same deep values possible in some mixes, but will be good for lighter color mixes/ high-key color schemes.

Anonymous

so what are those numbers that follow the color names, 70.839 etc.?

edit, that link above does not work, so I googled and got the Vallejo acrylic model paints and it looks those are just their own part number associated with specific colors.

here is a supplier link https://www.scratchsupplyco.com/products/ultramarine-70-839

Patrick1

I can’t find the pigments used, but here is an idea of its color, and from that, an educated guess can be made about approximately how it would mix with other colors, how it would work in a split-primary palette.

Any color / pigment can make muddy colors, if you mix too many pigments the result will eventually be that. keeping the number of pigments are short as possible is usually the best way to avoid it

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Macarona

As the name suggests, the model colours are for models and behave very differently from the student and artist acrylic colours for canvas and painting boards.
                                                From Vajello I have the VA Artist acrylic colours I like them very much, unfortunately the shop where I buy them no longer has them.

kind regards Macarona
                                                Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
                                                Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

As the name suggests, the model colours are for models and behave very differently from the student and artist acrylic colours for canvas and painting boards.
                                                From Vajello I have the VA Artist acrylic colours I like them very much, unfortunately the shop where I buy them no longer has them.

The pigments are still the same as in the artistic ones, but they tend to present colors that have several pigments mixed (and that is not good, and for that alone I use Artistic colors when I paint miniatures).

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Riccardo451

Sorry for not answering the questions but I have not received any notifications….

By using for some time the palette I am mostly satisfied (If I have time in te following days I will upload a picture of mixing palette for reference), apart from the light turquoise that has definitely too much white in it, so I’ve contacted Vallejo in order to see if they could help me and they answered to me giving this colors: ( the number after the : is the Vallejo model color number reference )

Hansa Yellow PY3:  70952

Phthalo Blue PB15: 70930

Permanent Alizarin Crimson PV19: 70945

Gamboge Hue PY3+PY42: 70915

Ultramarine Blue PB29: 70839

Naphthol Red PR170: 70909

70941 burnt umber

hope could be helpful .

Patrick1

That’s a classic split-primary plus brown. Not much you can’t do with that. The Gamboge Hue is a bit unusual as a warm yellow but it’s a lovely color. Some might prefer a warmer red than PR170 but it’s a potent red (can mix in both directions).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.