Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Petromutatus horridus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

“BP Shark (Petromutatus horridus)”

The BP Shark, Petromutatus horridus, was discovered on a beach near Freeport, Texas, two years after the infamous BP (British Petroleum) oil spill. These petromutants are now abundant in Gulf Coast waters. Like all members of the Petromutatus genus, they feed voraciously on petroleum.

BP Sharks are particularly fond of oil-laden kelp beds, and large individuals can consume up to 5 barrels of oil per day (bopd). They also prey aggressively on other petromutants, particularly species that are high in benzene or methyl tertiary butyl ether, such as BP Shrimp (Petromutatus texana.) Their thick gill plates are lined with primitive lungs and they are adept in water and on beaches where they use their powerful forelegs to come ashore to feast on oil-soaked kelp. Females and smaller specimens travel in schools, while large males are loners. They are pelagic, and specimens tagged by Texas A&M biologists have been found as far away as the southern coast of Sumatra. The world record for this species, caught by a shrimp trawler 86 miles southeast of Houma, Louisiana, was an 11-foot-long specimen that tipped the scales at 1,974 pounds.

These creatures are often introduced en masse at oil spill sites and they are extremely effective at ridding waterways of oil and oil-contaminated kelp beds. They have robust metabolisms and can also feed on heavy-grade crude oil, condensate, tar sands, even refined petroleum products such as benzene, xylene and toluene.

Other common names for this species include Sludge Puppy, Kelp Dragon and BP Bass. Like many petromutants, Petromutatus horridus is a protected species. Because they are useful in oil-spill cleaning operations, these sludge puppies are of economic importance and often raised in commercial “puppy mills”–large containment ponds rich in oil-laden kelp.

It should be noted that these creatures are highly cantankerous and aggressive–particularly during mating season–and beachgoers are urged to exercise extreme caution when they are present.

{The third in my MutaGenesis–A Field Guide to the Petromutants of Texas series, a hypothetical look at the future of the environment, illustrated with original one-off copper sculptures.}

www.davidsmithart.com

You made this out of copper? Is it life size? Looks really good, and interesting read to go with it. A whole new meaning to puppy mills. lol

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
    Every painting is a new adventure.

Thanks, Michelle. Yes, made from copper. About 30 inches in length.

www.davidsmithart.com

talisman

Great story and sculpture!
        I love copper in all it’s forms and patinas.
        Lovely bit of verdigris green on this.
        MutaGenesis–A Field Guide to the Petromutants of Texas series.
        Are you going to publish this? Let us know how your work progresses on this and keep posting your artworks and back stories!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
        C and C always welcome.
        My DeviantArt Gallery

Boafamily

I like this.

Attalus

Very nice and imaginative

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

That’s beautiful and creepy at the same time. Impressive!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.