Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Felting Help Please!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Irrylath

So I have now discovered the wonderful world of knitting -> felt journey. I made 2 hotpads already, and will post photos of such very soon. I even got a lovely book called “Felt It!” by Maggie Pace, I’m super excited to try some of those projects, esp. the belt!

I now have some questions about needle felting. What kind(s) of material work well as canvas for needling felting art? I want to do some decorative work on clothing, but not ruin a bunch of clothes trying to find out what works and what utterly fails to work.

Thanks!

Debby

When you say decorative work on clothing, do you mean you want to needle felt directly on, say, a pair of jeans to be worn? Or is this going to be a piece of art when you are done?

Some thought has to be given to the cleaning of the clothing if it is to be worn.

That being said, Jen seems to be able to add felt to just about anything. Hopefully she’ll stop by soon with some suggestions. One thought I had was to felt to a flat piece of felt then applique it to the garment. But, as I’ve never tried it, I don’t know.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Irralyth,
            Since all felting involves getting the microscopic barbs of fiber (usually wool) to latch together through agitation, you can needle felt into / onto anything that
            – allows the needle to punch through without breaking :wink2: so that the fiber you are felting can latch to itself ie netting, silk, cotton. I find the looser woven base fabrics are easier and more effective, especially for needle felting

– is wool so that the base layer and the wool you are felting anchor together

As the felting process pulls the roving / wool together, MOST woven fabrics, when felted, will gather or bunch up. The more tightly woven, the more the gathering. This can be artfully used. Also, you will likely see small needle holes as well. Again, this can be of creative use. I have seen photos of spectacular jackets made this way, where the felting and resultant gathering make a wonderful texture.

Debby is right when mentioning laundering. You would have to REALLY get the felted wool to lock together if you needle felt a design onto a garment. Machine needle felting makes a much stronger bond, due to the sheer quantity of needle punches a machine can offer. Wet felting involves soap and water, but I think even still — say if you were to embellish a shirt or jacket — you would need to be careful about laundering. In wet felting, the use of water and soap loosens the tiny barbs initially so that they can then better hook together. I have done a wet felting / needle felting process with silk scarves, for example, and some of the finer detail has loosened.

I agree that one approach would be to felt whatever elements you want to use in embellishing the garment, and then stitch it on. I think it should then hold on really well.

For technical clarity:

A knit or woven fabric which is then “felted” — ie tossing it in the wash — is actually called “fulling.” Yes, I know there are books written about knitting and “felting”, BUT for purists in the felting community, felting is ONLY when loose wool/fiber is made into a fabric without being first “structurely” interwoven aka knitting, crocheting, knotting, weaving. The end product most often looks and feels the same, but the technical process is different. I have only just recently encountered this precision of terminology, but it may help when you go looking for resources or if you ever decide to show your work.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to photos of your projects.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Irrylath

O wow. Thanks! So I should focus on things that do not require regular laundering…say more along the lines of a jacket rather than a t shirt. I’m looking for ways to use felting in an artistic, yet usable way. Pillows, maybe? Any other suggestions?

I’ll have to look into wet felting, is there anything I should look for or avoid on websites? Like in aromatherapy there’s certain scents that can’t be made naturally so it’s a red flag, or maybe some accrediation I should look for since the interwebs is full of misinformation.

Debby

Wool hats and scarves would be a natural outlet for wearable art that doesn’t require regular laundering. Sorry, can’t help you on the wet felting end of things.

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Just a thought for needle felting to add to clothes. I do some flat landscape needle felting and make them into pins that way you can wear it on any clothing and remove before washing the garment. They can be put on coat, bag, hat, sweater, or any other garment you want to wear it on. It can be thin so it lays flatter or I have also created 3D sculptures and added a pin to the back to be worn on anything I want to place it.

Art is simply the expression of emotion.
                    www.ancientartisanstudio.com

what a delightful idea to attach as a pin. A large pin I assume!
                    Jen

Jennifer Landau
                    Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.