Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Brush Cleaning Procedure

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I want to see if I can improve my brush cleaning procedure (methods and/or products used). I currently use Turpenoid on my taboret as my brush cleaner that I use while painting. At the end of each session, I’ll swish all brushes in the Turpenoid again and then take them to the kitchen, where I clean them with a brush soap. I’ve used several different types of soap (Pebeo, Pink Soap, Marvelous Marianne’s), as well as liquid dishwashing detergent. When my brushes were new, this seemed to work pretty well, but as time has gone by, the results of my cleaning are becoming less and less impressive. I guess residue is building up in the brushes.

In any case, I’d appreciate some tips on better techniques, methods or products to use. Would like to get my brushes back in good shape. They are workable now, but just not where I’d like them to be. Thanks in advance!

Just like any other man, only more so.

Dcam

Many painter will soak the brushes overnight in Murphy’s Oil soap and a bit of warm water. I have had great results.

Thanks, Dcam, I’ll have to try that. My only issue with it is that I can’t stand the smell of Murphy’s Oil Soap! But unless anyone has any better smelling suggestions, I’ll give it a shot (with clothespin on my nose).

contumacious

There are many good and several great ways to clean brushes. I have tried several of them. Currently I use safflower or walnut oil and a rag for painting in progress brush cleaning. Gamsol for when I need to get out all the pigment quickly for whatever reason.

My hands down favorite for the “final cleaning”, conditioning and shaping when the brush is going to be put away, is Masters Bush Cleaner. I use Murphy’s Oil Soap when the brush has some dried oil or paint in it that is too stubborn for the Masters. Dried paint/oil rarely happens, usually because I set it somewhere weird and forgot about it. I never intentionally let even plain walnut oil dry even the slightest amount in the brush. The murphy’s soap is always followed up by Masters.

If I need to store oil soaked brushes overnight or longer, I quickly rinse in OMS then submerge the bristles in an OMS bath with an air tight lid, in such a away that nothing touches the bristles. I found that just cleaning in OMS was not good enough and I often ended up with hard bristles. I also learned that to keep the sharp chiseled tips, periodic cleaning and shaping with Masters was necessary.

I just pulled a bunch of brushes out of the Murphy’s Oil Soap they’d been soaking in for the past 8 hours or so, and they are in great shape – very happy with the results (despite the smell). :) So thanks, Dcam – I’ll be using it again in the future. I think I’ll try to find some sort of soaking bin that allows you to hang brushes over it though, rather than letting the brushes just stand in the container and get bent/misshapen.

And thanks for those suggestions, contumacious. I’ve heard good things about the Masters Brush Cleaner. Will pick one up on my next Blick order. Maybe I’ll try switching from the Turpenoid to Gamsol when this bottle runs out. And I didn’t know you could use walnut or safflower oil that way – sounds great. :thumbsup:

contumacious

I just pulled a bunch of brushes out of the Murphy’s Oil Soap they’d been soaking in for the past 8 hours or so, and they are in great shape – very happy with the results (despite the smell). :) So thanks, Dcam – I’ll be using it again in the future. I think I’ll try to find some sort of soaking bin that allows you to hang brushes over it though, rather than letting the brushes just stand in the container and get bent/misshapen.

And thanks for those suggestions, contumacious. I’ve heard good things about the Masters Brush Cleaner. Will pick one up on my next Blick order. Maybe I’ll try switching from the Turpenoid to Gamsol when this bottle runs out. And I didn’t know you could use walnut or safflower oil that way – sounds great. :thumbsup:

Glad to help.

My jury rigged brush soaking setup consists of a 1/2″ section of wood dowel or an old brush handle and a sturdy rubber band.

[*]Line up all the brush tips evenly then place the dowel rod on top of them so it extends about an inch beyond the brush tips.
                  [*]Wrap the rubber band around the bundle of brushes and the dowel rod so they are held firmly in place o the dowel.
                  [*]Place the bundle in a small empty jar and check to make sure that all the brush tips are not touching the bottom of the jar, even when the bundle is leaning against the side of the jar, unsupported by your hand. Adjust the protrusion of the dowel rod accordingly
                  [*]Pour the Murphy’s Soap mix into the jar until it covers all the bristles but does NOT go past the metal ferules. Murphy’s can loosen the paint or varnish on the wooden handles as well as loosening the ferrules from the handles.
                  [*]Cover the open top of the jar with some plastic wrap. That self sticking kind works really well. Tape in place if needed. This helps keep the water in the Murphy’s mix from evaporating.
                  [*]Replenish the Murphy’s solution with more product and / or water as needed over time. It will continue to work well even when fairly dirty looking.
                  [*]Rather than trying to remove the rubber band when ready to rinse the brushes, without getting stuff all over your hands, I just cut it loose with blade and use a new one the next time.

A two step jar system will last longer if you use it frequently.

That’s a nice little system – I like it. Thanks again!

Ellis Ammons

Soap in the brush is bad mkay :). I just clean em and soak em in a few drops of walnut oil to keep em wet. Soap and water only if I’m not using them for 4 days or so.. mkay. And never soap and water with the hog bristles. They go all funky and loose shape quick. It’s oil and oms only for hogs… mkay

If they gotta be super clean then it’s outside with the oms.. mkay.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                    oil and acrylic paintings..

Mike L

Dawn dish-washing soap is used by environmentalists for cleaning animals exposed to oil spills. It is gentle and effective for cleaning most types of oils from just about any surface without danger to drains, the environment, or the user. I use it exclusively and effectively on all my brushes.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Dawn dish-washing soap is used by environmentalists for cleaning animals exposed to oil spills. It is gentle and effective for cleaning most types of oils from just about any surface without danger to drains, the environment, or the user. I use it exclusively and effectively on all my brushes.

Will pick up a bottle of Dawn this evening, thanks. I do recall using it long ago and having it work great. Clearly not all dish soaps are created equal, as the Mrs. Meyer’s that we currently have just isn’t cutting the mustard with the paint brushes (does fine on the dishes though). :cool:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.