WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Are you an art medium jumper?

[quote=L Skylar Brown]I am a Jumper. I have tried all types fron watercolors to digital. Digital has become by favorite. It is totally portable, with no clean-up.

Art is art and your digital images are very good. Digital backgrounds are becoming common place in the movie industry and even photography. Disney studios used to employ lots of artist who labored hours and hours over what a computer can now do in a few minutes, so automation marches on. A human still must operate the computer, but he must share a great deal of the credit to the computer for the end work. That said, I like your compositions.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2016, 01:49 PM

Medium jumping is vital to the development of artists today and key to their continued evolution. For example, look at Picasso, an artist who many people feel is the greatest and quintessential artist of the 20th century (I'm not arguing that point one way or the other, btw). Picasso is primarily known for his paintings, and he certainly mastered the medium, coming up with new abstract modes of expression such as Cubism. However, Picasso worked in many different media: sculpture, collage, printmaking, and ceramics, to name a few. His work in collage was key to his and Juan Gris's development of Cubism. Did he work in collage for the same number of years and with the same intensity he did his painting? Probably not. But collage afforded him the opportunity to aesthetically explore some things he was interested in about art.

Don't worry about jumping from one medium to the other. It's part of your journey in becoming the artist you can be.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States

YES!!!

I have jumped from oil painting, to graphic design, to mosaics, to colored pencil, to watercolors, pen and ink, pastels , and jewelry making! It is fun to mix it up. I am most proficient in drawing, but really enjoy all mediums.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2016, 02:01 PM

I literally want to play with everything! I have played around with acrylic, watercolor, graphite, pen and ink, colored pencil (both wax and water soluble), alcohol markers, colored ink in various forms, pastel and digital. I did find that I approach every medium pretty much the same way, and the result I get is not all that distinct either? Though I feel like many commercial artists today (those I follow on various social media) also approach different media in a similar manner and their acrylic paintings and their colored pencil works don't really look all that different; it certainly doesn't require as different a mind set as when speaking a different language (I am bilingual so I have a good basis of comparison ).
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2016, 04:55 AM
On my den 🐺

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherworlder
it certainly doesn't require as different a mind set as when speaking a different language (I am bilingual so I have a good basis of comparison ).

Hi there , Spanish is my first language and I am on my way to a third language.

"A different language is a different vision of life." - Federico Felini

Experimenting with different mediums gives me a new perspective about art. Only this way I can observe from other angle my creations while learning about other styles and techniques.

Last edited by rafaartstudio : 10-17-2016 at 04:57 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaartstudio
Hi there , Spanish is my first language and I am on my way to a third language.

"A different language is a different vision of life." - Federico Felini

Experimenting with different mediums gives me a new perspective about art. Only this way I can observe from other angle my creations while learning about other styles and techniques.

Buenas noches, another medium jumper here, I like too many today watercolor.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
va

Hails from United States

I'm a jumper. I love drawing, oils and sculpture. I think it's good to work with different things. I have people around me telling me I need to stick with just one.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire
I'm a jumper. I love drawing, oils and sculpture. I think it's good to work with different things. I have people around me telling me I need to stick with just one.

Well, I suppose one can have just one shirt in their closet, as well.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 02:58 PM

You MUST try different media!

Often I've started a drawing; "made it" into a watercolor, discovered it was really awful. But I've recently been holding to the motto "never give up" (for educational sake) and if erasing and/or sanding doesn't work (and I might have to paste some paper on to fix a hole ) there's a move to opaque media, gouache being a powerful over-worker. Oil pastels, too. And always, as a last resort perhaps, assemblage!

I've really been surprised at how sheer determination at working at something can result in color schemes, shapes, and especially surface textures that work together, but which I could never have planned to begin with.

So with me it's not so much a matter of jumping back and forth, as letting everything jump in together; whatever you might need, use!

That said, to be an Expert In One Thing, it's probably better not to stray. . .