WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Toledo, Ohio

Benjamin Moore artists oil paints

I bought some old Benjamin Moore tubes of oil paint on ebay. The colors are turkey red & chrome green, but there is no other info on the tubes. I am curious about the history of artist's paints made by commercial paint companies. Is anybody aware of a site that gives a decent background of old paints?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:47 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Benjamin Moore artists oil paints

Do they actually say that they are artist paints? They did have tubes of pigment that they used to sell for the purpose of tinting/tweaking their paints in cans. I remember having a couple of them. You could add some extra color to make your own custom color of paint with them.
But if they do say "artist" paints, then I would assume that is what they are and were meant for regular artistic oil painting.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 01-12-2018 at 09:52 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Guadalajara

Hails from Mexico

Interesting. I have B&M in great regard as home paint but I've never heard about an artist line. The only company I can recall right now as having both home paint and artistic products is the spanish brand "Titan". I've never used the hardware store stuff but I've bought several of their oil paint tubes from garage sales made by spanish expats. It is good stuff, at about the same level of W&N or Rembrandt.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

At first, I found it hard to believe that Benjamin Moore made artists' paint, but indeed they did. I found an ebay listing (not the one that caught the original poster's attention) offering a Chrome Yellow and a black from Benjamin Moore. The tubes are pictured. If that's a real Chrome Yellow, then the tube is probably quite elderly.

One of the first contributions to this forum I ever made concerned a line called Pictor, sold many a moon ago by Standard Brands. Pictor was made by a house paint manufacturer -- I forget which one -- and for that reason, most artists sneered at the stuff. But back in the day, we all had a couple of tubes of the stuff because it was just so damned cheap.

It wasn't bad. Wasn't particularly GOOD -- the thickness indicated heavy use of stearate -- but most tubes were useful. I still have some.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Guadalajara

Hails from Mexico

On that note. Chrome yellow and orange are commonly offered in Mexico as part of Velazquez oil paint (named after you might guess whom). I do NOT know if they contain real chrome pigments but the environment legislation is a joke in these lands so I wouldn't be surprised. I know for a fact that hardware store stuff (as enamels) DO contains heavy metals from talking to tech support of several companies. At any rate, my point is, if they offer real chorme or lead pigments I suspect some readers might be interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon
At first, I found it hard to believe that Benjamin Moore made artists' paint, but indeed they did. I found an ebay listing (not the one that caught the original poster's attention) offering a Chrome Yellow and a black from Benjamin Moore. The tubes are pictured. If that's a real Chrome Yellow, then the tube is probably quite elderly.

One of the first contributions to this forum I ever made concerned a line called Pictor, sold many a moon ago by Standard Brands. Pictor was made by a house paint manufacturer -- I forget which one -- and for that reason, most artists sneered at the stuff. But back in the day, we all had a couple of tubes of the stuff because it was just so damned cheap.

It wasn't bad. Wasn't particularly GOOD -- the thickness indicated heavy use of stearate -- but most tubes were useful. I still have some.

Last edited by Luis Sanchez : 01-13-2018 at 03:56 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Those don't appear to be artists' colors. They're house painters' tinting colors. The upper 4 tubes on the left are all tinting colors put out by house paint manufacturers. The labels make no mention of artist ....anything. The Moore labels says "ground in pure linseed oil" and "permanent and strong colors" on the sides of the tube.
Name:  Moore Paints 1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  566.4 KB

Name:  Moore Paints 2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  530.1 KB
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 05:07 PM
Toledo, Ohio

The Benjamin Moore tubes you have pictured are the same type I have. The boxes the tubes came in have as little information as the tubes. I have sent an inquiry to Benjamin Moore for more information. The box is labeled "Moore's Colors in Oil". The colors are Turkey Red & Chrome Green
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

Pigment "ground in pure linseed oil"? I'd feel perfectly comfortable using that stuff to paint a picture.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Pigment "ground in pure linseed oil"? I'd feel perfectly comfortable using that stuff to paint a picture.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using any of those paints. Uncoated chrome yellows, low-grade alizarin crimson (Turkey Red), american vermillion (supposedly uncoated lead chromate or a low quality dye pigment). The only unchangeable pigment would be the lamp black - how much industrial strength drier has been stuck into that ultra slow drying pigment to make it useable for housepainters? Yellows and reds that darken or fade .... why bother?

Last edited by Antonin : 01-13-2018 at 05:46 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 05:31 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

The tinting paints I had were not formulated like oil paints in terms of consistency. They were pretty thin so you could easily disperse the color into
a container of thick paint by stirring.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Toledo, Ohio

They are tints discontinued in the 50's or early 60's, per a benjamin moore distributor I contacted. Waiting to see if he can find any more info.