Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Difference in chemical properties of Liquin mediums?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Quality

Liquin Original
        Liquin Light
        Liquin Fine Detail

I know the purposes they serve, but I was looking for some info on the variance in chemical composition. Anyone have info on this?

Anonymous

IDK, but I would guess that the compositions of Original and Fine Detail are similar, but the consistency in fine detail is thinner mainly by more added solvent. The Light Gel may be different in the component(s) that give it more thixotropy like meglip medium.
            I doubt that even Winsor Newton would go into detailed chemical composition differences but you could always ask them with an email.

Ribera

8/21/14, Quote from Sid:
                the consistency in fine detail is thinner mainly by more
                added solvent

I kick in here, as I’ve developed the habit of tossin’ a
                lil’ Liquin into my normal medium, to expedite drying.
                And lately, I’ve instead added a combination of Stan-
                dard &
                Fine Detail; the latter to provide an even more
                viscous paint surface.
                If what ya write’s correct, though (W&N simply might
                just add some extra solvent into the mixture, I can do
                that with my normal Liquin!!), obviously, henceforth
                I’ll refrain from the purchase of the supposedly fancy
                Fine Detail.
                Now I’m aware I could ask ’em, however, I know the
                ingredients of Liquin, their trade secret, and they’d
                likely prefer refrain from this discussion!!
                r

Anonymous

If what ya write’s correct

I don’t really know, the fine detail may have differences in the other components too such as the ones that give it a gel like, thixotropic consistency, but I think more solvent would be the thinning agent, as it is for any other medium.
                    I have only used original Liquin and Daler Rowney Alkyd medium and they are entirely different. The Rowney alkyd is clear, thick but not a gel, and a bit sticky, the Liquin is cloudy, gel like, and not sticky at all. So they must be very different in their additives and components.

Ben Sones

There are definitely some chemical differences between Liquin and Liquin Fine Detail. Fine Detail looks and smells and handles differently than Liquin original–it’s definitely not Liquin cut with more solvent. It doesn’t have that cloudy pink-ish color, lacks almost all of that characteristic Liquin smell (mostly it just smells of solvent), and it dries slower (it still speeds drying, but not as much as Liquin) and is somewhat glossy. The MSDS says that both products contain mineral spirits and methyl ethyl ketone, but Liquin original also lists cobalt drier, and oil-modified alkyd resin. Liquin Fine Detail does not.

So it’s entirely possible that Liquin Fine Detail is not actually an alkyd medium at all. It doesn’t say that it is anywhere on the bottle, or on Winsor & Newton’s website, or in any of their promotional materials. I think everyone assumes that it is because it uses the Liquin brand name, but it may well just be a bodied (probably boiled) oil cut with solvent. It’s certainly the right color, and it handles like one.

My bottle of Liquin original, on the other hand, says “oil-modified alkyd resin” right on the back of the bottle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • The topic ‘Difference in chemical properties of Liquin mediums?’ is closed to new replies.