WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Oct. 2018: optional "autumn colors" theme!

Thanks! I had lots of fun drawing and painting that house.

It's another nice day, so I'm off to find more subjects to paint. Alas, our fall colors still haven't arrived. I'll be repeating the theme next month!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:33 PM

Very few fall colors yet in eastern North Carolina. However, here are a couple of scenes I painted plein air recently. The first view is a scene from the State Capitol grounds looking toward the Justice Building. The second painting is a view from the nature park near my home.
Attached Images

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

Tom, those both look great! And hey, you did manage to sneak in a little fall color in the second one, in the form of a single orange tree in the back right. Also, I really like the way you used perspective to show us that the closer waves (wavelets?) appear larger and more defined than the more distant ones. Nice gradation in the sky, too.

The fall colors haven't arrived here in the DC area, either. I think of October as fall-color month here in the US, but I seem to have missed the mark this year. I plan to repeat the theme in November.

Anyway, thanks for posting! Keep 'em coming! It's raining here, but I have life class tomorrow, so I hope to have something to post myself.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

TomMather, you published an avalanche of beauty yesterday, brightening up a study day repeatedly. your edge work has a signature quality and you control it like a magician. i hope to see more!

(Grotius you've turned me to inks. ordered the india ink, couple of nibs, brushes. wonder where it will end up... )

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2018, 08:46 AM

I don’t paint much plein air these days and find it challenging but rewarding. It seems to carry over to my studio work, however, helping me paint faster and looser. The “avalanche “ yesterday was due to me finally finding a simple way to post photos on these forums.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

fast and loose, coming right up.
30min sketch, knife, wiped away blobs with brush after the fact. almost everything straight from the tube. 10 colors+white. sincerely hate the sun colors and the photo makes them twice as bad.
6"x9" oil on paper, indoor air 😀

Name:  20181027_175342-1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  149.3 KB

as soon as i started, a reindeer family strolled into view for their supper. not much of a photo but their butts are cute.

Name:  20181027_171945-1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  85.1 KB

Last edited by ronsu18 : 10-27-2018 at 11:18 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Awesome, ronsu! Maybe you can work the reindeer into your next painting. Also, I personally think your sun colors are great. Nice and colorful. Better too interesting than too drab!

In life class, we almost always have a nude model, but I almost always paint a portrait. Today, however, our instructor insisted on a challenging, reclining pose, and pretty much everyone did the whole figure. I enjoyed the challenge, but wow, it's hard to paint the human body quickly. "Emily reclining," oil on panel, 11" x 14," in about an hour and forty-five minutes. (Jessica/mods: can you edit my first post to include the "butt" icon?)

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

great job ! !
first, some people are stupid about backgrounds, i love the background. it's due to the raw, expressionist 💚 overall color composition, but nothing else would make it just that. it's a unique, personal color world, it feels fresh and with it, the blue pillow becomes a narrative.

did you do the painstaking first drawing again? it looks like you did! sometimes (oftentimes) it helps to exaggerate landmarks ever so slightly, purely for quick first read, plus that will help any stage look more finished. in this case, regardless the sitter, her hair etc, her neck and the top of the hip bone would be places to "anchor" her even more completely.

find your first works from these classes, compare, then believe your eyes.

i'm going to have a clip-on button made, with the text "too interesting". seriously though, that was well said, thank you!

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast

I got outside to paint today, and I even managed to find some muted fall colors. But I spent too long dithering, fussing with the drawing and an underpainting. By the time I was ready to paint in earnest, most of the interesting shadows had disappeared. (Yeah, I know, I should've painted them first.) Also, I chose a rather large board; that's a lot to paint in one afternoon. "Norfolk Street," oil on panel, 16" x 20."

Once again, I wonder whether my five-minute ink sketch was better. "Norfolk Street," ink on paper, 5" x 8."

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

may i suggest a revenge? as soon as you can, return to the exact place?
the view is perfect, you chose a good spot. i really like the strong dynamic lines. the round shapes plus color bring contrasty interest and calm. your idea is very good, clearly there, only unfinished. any sf medium in there? a day to dry, you could make time continuing painting on this canvas.

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2018, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, returning is a good idea. I just need to find a way to grab the same parking spot. Easier said than done!

Meanwhile, I found a new spot today, and had even less time. I also forgot my sketchbook. So I just went for it. Fortunately, I painted on a smaller surface, which sped things up. After an hour, a parade of trick-or-treaters came by, which was great fun. Also a couple of my friends stumbled upon me. "Exeter Street," oil on panel, 9" x 12."