• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DMSS

I am painting solvent-free, so all I’m using while painting is paint and walnut oil. I’m new to oil paint. After I apply a color to the canvas I wipe the brush on a rag, dip it in oil, wipe again, and then get the next color. After one or two times of going through this process the oil is dirty and contaminates the brush on each subsequent round. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

--David

WFMartin

I am painting solvent-free, so all I’m using while painting is paint and walnut oil. I’m new to oil paint. After I apply a color to the canvas I wipe the brush on a rag, dip it in oil, wipe again, and then get the next color. After one or two times of going through this process the oil is dirty and contaminates the brush on each subsequent round. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

You’re not doing anything “wrong”. A bit of contamination is normal, and to be expected. The slight discoloration of the oil contributes so little to the actual paint with which you are mixing it that it is, for all practical purposes, non-existent.

Perhaps when painting with White paint, you may be concerned about such “contamination”, but really…….it is so minimal that you do NOT need to worry about it. Just paint on…..and do not be concerned about such slight contamination.:thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

DMSS

Ok. Thank you, Bill. How much oil should I set out, a half-inch in height in the jar, 2 inches, more? Or maybe it’s easier to express in tablespoons or ounces.

--David

Harold Roth

I use disposable single muffin tins for my walnut oil and put maybe a half inch in one of them for a session. I use that for oiling out and then for dipping, but if I am using a pigment that is really staining, like Prussian blue, then I will pour a half inch of some safflower oil in a separate tin and scrub the brushes in that at the end of the session. I’ve found that squeezing the brush in the rag works better to get stuff out than wiping. Also, getting oil on the brush before starting to paint helps it come off more easily at the end.

DMSS

Thank you, Harold.

--David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.